Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seintari Chronicles: Book of Chaos - First screenshots

Mareus

Magister
I know most of you are probably not interested in this, but I decided to make a small update on my own game I am making. I had to do a lot of upgrading for my RPG maker VX to finally be able to give a JRPG engine some Western spirit.

My dear codexians, here are first screenshots of my game. I hope you will like what I will show you. I's still not finished, but I am not in a hurry.

First I present you a logo of Trinity Softworks, a new company that will one day shape the world of gaming industry. (Note how I "borrowed code, art, design from Troika :) )

Here is the main screen which I borrowed from Aion:

For now the game won't feature any character creator at start since it would require a very good programmer to update the script. I would also have to make 2 or more games for each class and gender and race. So, until I get a programmer to work with me I have only managed to put in simple chose name at start:

I have decided to make the game light instead of dark fantasy how I first planned. I tried to make it look dark, but with these cute graphics it is just impossible. So I decided to add more humor and concentrate on the story, which will have it's dark moments.

So life is all nice and cherry, and our hero which I named Mareus has a wife and she bosses him around and has him completely under her slipper. While Mareus daydreams his wife calls him a few times, but Mareus just keeps on dreaming until she is pissed at him. She wants him to bring him a bucket of water for the garden.

You go to the well, but you need a bucket, and first you have to find it. Now you will have few options. I really try hard to include many options, choices and consequences. This home is just a small tutorial how the game starts and choices and consequences are there just for a short laugh. Later in the game some choices will really hit you hard. I am always easy to give spoilers, so I ll try to hide them until I upload the whole game for you guys. But basically the game will at one part split dramatically affecting not only your character, but the whole world and the way you play the game. There will be another such point where you come near the end. For one man project I just can't do more at the moment.
Anyway here are the choices:

As you can see on the picture you have two buckets. One is a bucket used for urinating in and the other is the well bucket which our hero seems to have forgot last time he was bringing water to those bowls next to him. There is another toilet bucket downstairs on the 1st floor. You can take any bucket you want. So lets pick the toilet bucket just for the laugh of it.

And lets take it to Lorea to see what happens:

As you can see, Lorea notices something is wrong here. Now you have 2 options what to do. You can lie, or say the truth. If you say the truth something will happen, and if you say a lie something else will happen. Let's lie since here it is a lot more interesting:

You have a few more choices after this, but I ve skipped them cause one basically lets you lie and get away with it, the other is this and you gain a new item in inventory LOL:

Now you should change your clothes or else people will say you smell bad. For example like when you talk to your daughter:

The game is full of such small choices and consequences. Well at least the quests I made so far are. It is very time consuming because of testing. Anyway each quest can be solved at least 3 ways. This here short demo I showed can also be solved in 3 ways. I just showed you the funniest. And it affects the game further, since now you can change your clothes and get new appearence for your character. And many small things like that. But I won't spoil the game further.

Lets see a bit what I have managed to do to make this game more western. First we need some character development. RPG Maker VX completely lacks this and does it automatically like in FF games. You can change some small things but nothing to be to my liking completely. So I found a script and integrated it into the software. It was buggy so I had to fix it a bit and now this is how it looks:

As you can see, you can use XP points for:
HP gives you more HP
MP gives you more MP
ATK raises damage
DEF raises defense so you take less damage
SPI gives you more magic damage
AGI lets you move faster so you can attack first
HIT is hit percentage and you start with 50% chance to hit.
EVA is evasion percentage
CRIT is your critical percentage

So.. there you have it. For end just to show how the battles will look. I am not using FF recipe "every few steps fight", and instead have put every enemy on the screen so you can see him. They are automatically drawn to you if they see you, so if you want you can sneak pass them, but I am still thinking of removing this option since the game could get very hard if you don't get any experience. But I am still trying to let you get more experience by solving quests. The balance is a problem though.

And for the end this is how the battles will look like:

As you can see, I used another script from the forums. It is basically typical JRPG turn based with agility initiative battle system, but I am using icons instead of letters. I fixed the broken battle system from RPG VX by adding a pointer so you actually see who you are attacking instead of using options like A B C D, etc. Also the guard option heals you and raises your defense so it is good for some healing when without mana. The party will be optional and you can have up to 4 members in the party. Well, that's it so far. Please post replies, comments, suggestions.

Jesus fuck, you have users with 1k+ posts who dig RPG MAKER, and you complain about Oblivion? You need some fucking scale.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Be fair, post count isn't a meaningful indicator of... well, anything really.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is Mareus we're talking about, I don't think I've seen him make a single intelligent post ever.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Emotional Vampire said:
Jesus fuck, you have users with 1k+ posts who dig RPG MAKER, and you complain about Oblivion? You need some fucking scale.
you? you registered. you posted. you are part of it all now. no going back now, motherfucker.

whoa, nice retardo group responsibility e-logic there, faggot. So since you registered at beth's boards, means you're a beth fanboy?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Emotional Vampire said:
whoa, nice retardo group responsibility e-logic there, faggot. So since you registered at beth's boards, means you're a beth fanboy?
you assume this place functions on the same principles as the esf? interesting, tell me more.

Mareus

Magister
Emotional Vampire said:
Err.. Oblivion was made by a huge team with a huge budget, while this is just one man project by a guy who doesn't know crap about programming and has started completely from scratch.

But I am not interested in post count, or whatever. I am making this game in RPG Maker because it is the easiest program to use out there and you can make some pretty nice things with it. Frankly, I wanted you guys to comment how do you like the maps, how do you like the battle system, how do you like character development system, etc...

I also wanted to show the capabilities of RPG Maker and how you can indeed with very little knowledge do quite nice games, and maybe motivate some of you guys to try it out. I know there are people here who are interested in finding a program with which you can create your own game. Chefe for example and his American Hare.

Comparing this with any AAA title is just retarded however.

Severian Silk

There is a Tactical RPG Maker by the same company. If you switch over to this program I would be willing to help you. I am a good programmer, but am not good at coming up with a narrative.

laclongquan

Arcane
Dont mind Emotional Vampire! He always sound like an irritable amnemic asshole. One suspect that getting a few litres of blood in will improve his tone but you just never know.

RPG Maker eh? that shit is soo old. Same age with Fallout 2 if I remember correctly. I dropped it in favour of Warzone 2100.

Mareus said:
reding is teh hard

o gods

What I meant was, and watch me get it across without four paragraphs, that you are a Codex poster, you have over one thousand posts which means that everyone more or less know you, and you're doing something so utterly pathetic, much more pathetic than whatever Bethesda is going to do. So how can anyone bitch about what Bethesda does, and no one even cared to point out that you're an enormous faggot.

Mareus

Magister
Assnuggets said:
There is a Tactical RPG Maker by the same company. If you switch over to this program I would be willing to help you. I am a good programmer, but am not good at coming up with a narrative.
Tactical RPG Maker you say? I am going to check and see how hard it would be to transform the game from one engine to another, since I have already invested over 6 months of work in this.

And ot EV: At least I am trying to make my own game, instead of just bitching around how games today suck, which is more than most of people around here, including you.

EDIT: Do you have a link for that Tactical RPG Maker? I have searched the forums and google, but I only found that Tactical RPG Maker is mentioned as a mod from RPG Maker XP and previous RPG Makers. I am using VX because the scripting is a lot easier here, and you don't need to spend too much time doing some simple things which in previous makers require programing knowledge.

Durwyn

Prophet
My eyes closed after looking at main screen to prevent from further damage. You can make it dark, gritty, have c&c, great story and other shit but it's still JRPG. It's just wrong.

Mareus

Magister
Durwyn said:
My eyes closed after looking at main screen to prevent from further damage. You can make it dark, gritty, have c&c, great story and other shit but it's still JRPG. It's just wrong.

You are absolutely right. It will be everything you say. And I am really trying hard to put in as much writing as possible with tons of descriptions and interactivity with the world. But it will always be JRPG, since that's how the engine is. :shrugs:

If you want to go "dark" with those very limited tools you right now have i would sugest you look around for a small japanese game known as Yume Nikki, that, if i am not mixing it up with some other one, was made with RPG Maker. There is an english version around the 'net - Look for it if you want, or give me a couple of days to look for it in my hard drive. It gets pretty twisted and dark if you are willing to endure the "i do not know what the fuck is going on, what the fuck to do, and what the fuck all this shit means" begining. Or middle. Or end.

Either that or you can go down the path that leads to trying to get a style similar to that of Daemonophobia or Hanakanmuri, with the "cute" or "simple" artwork being played either for irony, mind-screw, or playing with the player's expectations.

But remember that to make something worthwhile with RPG Maker, or anything similarly simple and/or "kawaii", you need to reach for a very high level of either narrative or psychosis. If you try to just make some fantasy thingie JRPG it will suck, believe me.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Assnuggets said:
uuh.. there was one. 10 years ago. for the consoles.
Mareus said:
But it will always be JRPG, since that's how the engine is. :shrugs:
you can script around the shitty jrpg stuff like the battle system, stats, or items. even more so with rpgmaker xp, and artstyle can be changed to look less anime.

Mareus

Magister
The Rambling Sage said:
If you want to go "dark" with those very limited tools you right now have i would sugest you look around for a small japanese game known as Yume Nikki, that, if i am not mixing it up with some other one, was made with RPG Maker. There is an english version around the 'net - Look for it if you want, or give me a couple of days to look for it in my hard drive. It gets pretty twisted and dark if you are willing to endure the "i do not know what the fuck is going on, what the fuck to do, and what the fuck all this shit means" begining. Or middle. Or end.

Either that or you can go down the path that leads to trying to get a style similar to that of Daemonophobia or Hanakanmuri, with the "cute" or "simple" artwork being played either for irony, mind-screw, or playing with the player's expectations.

But remember that to make something worthwhile with RPG Maker, or anything similarly simple and/or "kawaii", you need to reach for a very high level of either narrative or psychosis. If you try to just make some fantasy thingie JRPG it will suck, believe me.
Yeah, I am well aware of those things you mentioned and I am trying hard to avoid them. Most games I have played, that were done with RPG Maker sucked big time. That is why I am trying very hard to implement as much narrative as possible. Choices and consequences and very good story with the whole history of the world background. There will be some humor in it, because otherwise it would look like the game just tries to hard. And it's not impossible to make the game look darker, but I just decided to make the beginning a bit light and cherry. Kind of like Lord of the rings light and cherry. Later you get hit in the head really hard. Of course, it is yet to be seen how much I actually succeeded.

Mareus

Magister
SuicideBunny said:
Mareus said:
But it will always be JRPG, since that's how the engine is. :shrugs:
you can script around the shitty jrpg stuff like the battle system, stats, or items. even more so with rpgmaker xp, and artstyle can be changed to look less anime.
Yeah, and I have already done a lot of changes, believe me. But unfortunately some scripts are not compatible with each other and I had to make some tough choices what things to throw out.

Fenril

Scholar
You got some Jrpg in your Rpg. Ewwwww

(isnt it possible to make the textures darker or remove some to get rid of that overwhelming feeling of gayness while moving in the gameworld? omfg look at that town")

Radisshu

Prophet
I'm seriously thinking about downloading rpg maker 2000 and making a really stereotypical JRPG, market it to the RPG Maker community, and see if people actually like it. Then I'd Let's Play it.

Mareus

Magister
Fenril said:
You got some Jrpg in your Rpg. Ewwwww

(isnt it possible to make the textures darker or remove some to get rid of that overwhelming feeling of gayness while moving in the gameworld? omfg look at that town")
Yeah it is possible to play with opacity and stuff and make it look darker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom