Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
G8lCx8e.png

FUIVKb0.png

f1FyPBD.png

Dc6gXj8.png

V9phK2X.png

Looks like Castlevania II on planet Zebes. What game is this?

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Video games objectifying women by making them mission objectives.

74B4D7463251A03A54682D52E43498958428F31C

But who cares when you're blowing up Imperial ships.

2B0E0DA241E09347858BE7D22F18C1D43C5F6D3E

:yeah:

VKrtwZ4.jpg

0cCdR1z.jpg

cblsjnu.jpg

2jGu9Bj.jpg

OxI9rhY.jpg

7V8rObW.jpg

81TUiLS.jpg

WNEeQ8M.jpg

F7SKVAE.jpg

vzB4Ts6.jpg

wp3PnhL.jpg

OIztOtH.jpg

6m1vnEb.jpg

fyoZ1fj.jpg

Dj9RwJS.jpg

Lf7DFLK.jpg

0lxKSq6.jpg

UQKYJUt.jpg

I've never beaten any of the classic Castlevanias. I'm trying to do it without save states, but I'm not sure I'll make it. You just die so easily.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's impressive. Though you should beat the first one too that way. It's fine to use them to practice, but the game is cleverly designed to be very fair.

I've gotta confess to save-state scumming classic Castlevania games when playing them via emulator. It's just too tempting to make a save at the beginning of every level (easy to determine in 1, 4, Bloodlines, and Rondo/X but not so in Simon's Quest or Dracula's Curse) and reload when you die.

Like a lot of old-school shmups, and unlike most platformers*, Castlevania confers cascading advantages upon the player that can plow through stage after stage without dying. Dying in Castlevania resets heart counts, blanks the sub-weapon spot, and nulls whip upgrades; it's a loss of raw power, strategic resources, and tactical flexibility. Some levels can become extremely tedious without the benefit of a favored subweapon and the hearts to utilize it frequently. Negotiating certain screens, especially those with Medusa Heads, can go from some fast-paced fun to a trial-and-error slog when one's options have been significantly curtailed. Often, the level might become so difficult/unfun, that the player is better of restarting, so as to arrive in prime fighting (jumping?) form.

It's hard not to want to save scum when faced with a situation like this; it beats playing early levels over and over again or finding the optimal, low-power lines of play through trial and error in later levels.

*Compare to Super Mario Brothers, Contra, Shinobi, or Donkey Kong Country. If the player isn't at nearly full capability after expending an extra life, powering up to max is not particularly difficult, often requiring only one or two items found easily with a stage. It's not like Gradius or Darius, shumps in which rolling through with full power is almost essential to victory (of course xXxMLG_ub3r-pr0xXx players don't need any poweups to bend games over, but they're outliers).

I've gotta confess to save-state scumming classic Castlevania games when playing them via emulator. It's just too tempting to make a save at the beginning of every level (easy to determine in 1, 4, Bloodlines, and Rondo/X but not so in Simon's Quest or Dracula's Curse) and reload when you die.

Like a lot of old-school shmups, and unlike most platformers*, Castlevania confers cascading advantages upon the player that can plow through stage after stage without dying. Dying in Castlevania resets heart counts, blanks the sub-weapon spot, and nulls whip upgrades; it's a loss of raw power, strategic resources, and tactical flexibility. Some levels can become extremely tedious without the benefit of a favored subweapon and the hearts to utilize it frequently. Negotiating certain screens, especially those with Medusa Heads, can go from some fast-paced fun to a trial-and-error slog when one's options have been significantly curtailed. Often, the level might become so difficult/unfun, that the player is better of restarting, so as to arrive in prime fighting (jumping?) form.

It's hard not to want to save scum when faced with a situation like this; it beats playing early levels over and over again or finding the optimal, low-power lines of play through trial and error in later levels.

*Compare to Super Mario Brothers, Contra, Shinobi, or Donkey Kong Country. If the player isn't at nearly full capability after expending an extra life, powering up to max is not particularly difficult, often requiring only one or two items found easily with a stage. It's not like Gradius or Darius, shumps in which rolling through with full power is almost essential to victory (of course xXxMLG_ub3r-pr0xXx players don't need any poweups to bend games over, but they're outliers).

It's an interesting observation. I've actually been running through SMB3 again, trying for 100% completion and no items used outside of levels. Like you say, I've found a lot of the tougher levels more satisfying to beat when you're starting off as small Mario. It's more fun to play that way, whereas getting demoted to the shitty peashooter in Contra after dying really doesn't make things more 'fun', necessarily.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's been ages since I played a good adventure game, this was probably not the best choice for a reentry. It's pretty hard so far, but the atmosphere is great.

dvpPZU1.jpg

TCaQggo.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom