Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Risen 2 - Dark Waters

jmb9Hvu.jpg

ckmIoCE.jpg

bHwjuu7.jpg

bW8v2Wb.jpg

NzjmiOs.jpg

LXKPH0d.jpg

1vun08j.jpg

Z1yhfzP.jpg

QCQlS2t.jpg

BBTUvlC.jpg

Riskbreaker

Eradicator
2C143832F928E7BFCF74B54BFCC4885B9F6DB24A

62AB12BB147B97D7E4282D117FB8DF3DD91EFB6A

AE005423A8E62A31208C7FA9335E3ED00479161B

9CF4C2972A4CD398BE6245DF2F067B33A36716AF

C2385E398560CDF0951FEAE88CFDED298CB43732

Pretty cool stuff. As far as I can tell, this game is pretty much unknown and yet I found it to be immensely enjoyable!

Another thing: game offers a choice of several playable characters, similar to ROTT. Now, one of those characters is... a catgirl. Yeah, I'm not kidding. That, combined with the possibility of playing in third person (which is actually pretty useful, 'specially for platforming), equals this:
BAC69FD3CC407DA6538FA93F6364FE7464EC0AD0
267857AED48BA1271E0DF402CE8EA68274508286

97A688D342102A8E9899AF1FD1B660467B6A02C5

Behord, how masterfury she dispatches her honorabre opponents with utmost speed and eregance!:thumbsup:

Also, somewhat surprisingly, I had no issues with the Steam release: no need for additional DOSBox configuring, patching or anything like that.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Fallout 2 + Restoration Project.

No reason to play vanilla version any longer. One might point out many disadvantages, including unimplemented content or numerous bugs. But lack of good ending for intelligent mutated chameleons: that's the deal killer.

Once again the end game content cracks me up. So the devs are blessing player's effort with drops of urine and coarse laughter. "Game over, get out of your basement, moron!"

h7Ez2dL.png

Found it funny in 2000. Gives me creeps now. Poor guy wouldn't even succeed. Criteria of acceptance in so- called "Fallout 3" reject everybody except deformed retards.

7SjxGDY.png

Uh- oh

nGCR62S.png

My PC stares blankly at one of doom sayers on the street. This time it's a true herald of incoming decline.

DraQ

Arcane
Quake, Doom, Heretic, Hexen 1/2, Red Faction, Sin
That's some good stuff, bro.
STRIFE, make sure to disable all the popamole features if you end up getting the recent re-release.
Good suggestion. Sort of proto- Deus Ex running on Doom engine.
Arguably the best Build engine game. DN3D and Shadow Warrior are good too (DN3D less so) but Blood is the best.
Powerslave (aka Exhumed)
Only played the demo.
Chasm: The Rift, this "Quake clone" uses an interesting engine, it's not a great game though
Still p. good. Nice visuals and good mechanically. Shame about the length and levels being essentially 2D with virtually no z-axis, not even to the extent of Doom engine games.
HλLF-LIFE
Yes! A bit linear, but very strong gunplay, cool aliens and strong overall mechanics. :salute:
Another legend. Blew everything else out of the water with technical aspects, atmosphere and AI.
Unreal Tournament
Also yes, at least as long as you want some MP or botmatch. Or modding platform.
Then there are tons of great custom maps for Doom and Quake.
There are tons of awesome camapigns for Unreal too. Some running in vanilla, some requiring UT.

Anyway some of my own recommendations:

System Shock 1 & 2.
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (although it's more of an outdoor power armor simulator, than typical FPS).

From a bit more modern games, STALKER SoC and CoP.

Eradicator
A decent one too. About DN3D age, suffers a bit from some of the traits Quake 2 has - bland and monotonous environments, and enemies without much personality. Still it has a lot of diverse weaponry and some cool and innovative features to make up for that.
Oh, watching intro will make you cry brain cells - it's so beyond B-movie cheesy.

DraQ

Arcane
Fallout 2 + Restoration Project.

No reason to play vanilla version any longer. One might point out many disadvantages, including unimplemented content or numerous bugs. But lack of good ending for intelligent mutated chameleons: that's the deal killer.
:bro:

Especially implying that getting them extinct was somehow your doing.
I was extremely upset about it when I beat FO2.
:butthurt:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Risen 1 is fantastic. Pretty close to the old gothic games. Risen 2 and 3.. not that great.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Other than the nice graphics and nice cleavage shots, are the Risen games actually any good?

I HAVE POURED BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS ONTO A TOTAL OF 34 PAGES IN 3 ARTICLES TO TELL YOU ABOUT THE SERIES AND ITS DECLINE FROM THE GREAT FIRST PART AND YET YOU STILL ASK

:badnews:

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Other than the nice graphics and nice cleavage shots, are the Risen games actually any good?
Yes, they are good. Although Risen 1 has really pathetic 2D sprite vegetation which is really annoying and melee combat is bad in all but it's the worst in Risen 1.

Raapys

Arcane
Meh even the first Risen is fairly overrated. It starts out a bit sub-par to Gothic1/2 and then just keeps declining as you play. Second Risen starts where the first left off, and continues downwards from there. Third is just lul.

I replayed both Risen 1 and Gothic 3 this summer and actually found myself enjoying the patched G3 more; the excellent game world more than makes up for Risen1's best feature, which is melee combat.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't read runes good, but the text looks like '剣の街の異邦人白の王宮' and that appears to be correct.
I can't be bothered to attempt a semi proper translation but it's something like "Sword City's white gentiles of the Royal Palace" - I'm sure someone else with can give you something far more accurate.

I have no idea if fan or official translations are underway, but it appears to have been released in Japan about a month ago.

Machine

Arbiter
Hirato

What's this and will it be localized?

Well im not Hirato, but this game is called ... smth like Strangers Sword : the white palace in english? Its made by EXP. inc of Gen XTH fame.
As for localisation I really doubt it, only EXP game that has english translation is fan made one for Generation XTH 1, but maybe someday :negative:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hirato

What's this and will it be localized?

Well im not Hirato, but this game is called ... smth like Strangers Sword : the white palace in english? Its made by EXP. inc of Gen XTH fame.
As for localisation I really doubt it, only EXP game that has english translation is fan made one for Generation XTH 1, but maybe someday :negative:

Haha, sorry I mixed you and Hirato up, I was just quickly looking at the avatar ^^'

Thanks for the info tho, too bad about the translation but I guess that was to be expected :(

Someone should tell the Japanese there's a market for blobbers in the west too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom