Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Astral Rag

Arcane
og6M6s9.jpg

It's time!

Carmageddon?

Yes, it's Carmageddon: Reincarnation.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Another episode of Dicking with Emulation.
Mazes of Fate (GBC)

Mazes of Fate (NDS)

NDS version looks better, have more characters but hidden switches are slighty harder to notice. On GBA they looks like those from Legends of Grimrock. On NdS they're ordinary brick but slighty brighter, so you end clicking everywhere.
I got sensible chuckle when I did first quest (yep, it's about rats in the basement), looted it and asked for reward. Old lady goes down and see that I stole everything, get mad. Did it again, told "Urm, I found few coins down there", she tell "It's yours". And you go outside with pack of poisoning leafs, magic rings and 5 coins.

I didn't know this game. Added to my (big) list of games to play. Probably the NDS version...on NDS.

wum2m7q.jpg

PP3db9n.jpg

WIxPxTO.jpg

fXrcYwL.jpg

OVfgb80.jpg

D7LvrGA.jpg

O0ysELC.jpg

eopBeXl.jpg

FFMwKpM.jpg

EidUhBp.jpg

N0yKDnx.jpg

nejssA7.jpg

Great way to start a dungeon crawler, by immediately putting on cursed equipment.

KuJ5cPM.jpg

AoFmoJ0.jpg

K4DRpwa.jpg

2XxT0pz.jpg

QK4f9Zn.jpg

wNxJ9Ku.jpg

Thriller Zombies keep hitting me with Level Drain. It can remove all of your memorized spells, very troublesome for a Fighter/Cleric/Mage. :rpgcodex:

l0H5xRg.jpg

5ahzaGt.jpg

Nice, even more level-draining monsters...

ckudlfY.jpg

8tbdlYv.jpg

And now... a floor with high-defense and high-attack ghost knights. Pretty sure they're hasted, too.

Barnacles the Pirate eventually met his end on this floor. Tried to escape using an Amulet of Imminent Return, but instead of teleporting me to the beginning of the level, I warped back my most recently used teleporter which was surrounded by monsters. Too many level drains made him stay weak throughout.

Started a new character...
C8lvRTN.jpg

Gauntlets of Fire Giant Strength dropped on floor 2 :yeah:

bWtPZQL.jpg

A Staff of Smiting +3, a scroll of Improved Invisiblity and Robes of the Archmagi dropped by floor 4 :yeah: This is a promising run.

6OubkBv.jpg

Multi-headed Cow

You aren't using Cow Approved Cheese for a Dungeon Hack cleric. You gotta use two spiritual hammers because they return to your hands when thrown, then turn the game in to Serious Sam and start circle strafing!

r3jonwah85

Savant
And to cap this pointless post off, does anybody have some nice recommendations on forgotten gems? Started to collect FPS games the last year and feel the need to add something to the collection.

Not all forgotten gems but here are some FPS that are not your list:

Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny, don't forget to try out the free Macenstein
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Blake Stone: Planet Strike, just play the sequel if you're only going to play one
Rise of the Triad (google WinRott)
Marathon, I never was a big fan of the series but they're definitely not bad games
STRIFE, make sure to disable all the popamole features if you end up getting the recent re-release.
Doom 64 TC
Dark Forces (google DarkXL) and Dark Forces 2
CyberMage
The Terminator: Future Shock and Skynet
Outlaws, see our unofficial patch thread for info on how to run it on a modern OS.
Blood, check out http://blood.nanoaugur.net/
DN3D then try Shadow Warrior if you want to play with Duke's brother from another mother. The re-releases are ok, just don't use the "smooth" filter
Duke Nukem Forever
Redneck Rampage, Witchaven 1 and 2 , TekWar, NAM and World War II GI are all pretty mediocre but you might find some enjoyment in them
Powerslave (aka Exhumed) is another decent build engine game, the PSX version uses another, more advanced engine and is also worth checking out
Realms of the Haunting, make sure you play the patched us version (google Transformation Patch)
Chasm: The Rift, this "Quake clone" uses an interesting engine, it's not a great game though
HλLF-LIFE
Unreal (use Kentie's renderer)
Unreal Tournament (same)
Quake 3, at least finish the SP campaign on Nightmare and become a better person
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
NOLF 1 and 2, good games despite IMO rather mediocre gunplay
Aliens VS Predator, tastefully re-released as AvP Classic 2000
FEAR + expansion packs, 2 is a bad FEAR game and 3 is irredeemable trash

Then there are tons of great custom maps for Doom and Quake.

Thanks! I have almost half of those already in physical copies, the ones I do not have unfortunately cost to much compared to the gameplay value you get (if not the shipping often kills the deal since I want the big box version if available). Might bite the bullet and buy some of them like Strife and Exhumed, also there is a nice big box version of Skynet for sale here in Sweden so might snag that one too. Other than that I think I have played all of them except Blake Stone, Realms of the Haunting (which seems recommended) and some of the shittier Build engine games. Might add some more games from my shelf to the list if anybody else is reading it:

Star Trek Elite Force 1 & 2
Painkiller (at least main game and first expansion)
XIII
Project IGI 1 & 2 (not really mow everything down kind of shooter but still somewhat from that time line)
Star Wars Republic Commando
Gunman Chronicles
Star Trek Klingon Honor Guard
SHOGO: MAD
Turok 1 & 2
Far Cry 1
Wheel of Time (forgot this one first)

And I have mentioned this in this very thread before, but Quake is such a masterpiece with mind blowing levels still coming out, so I play that every week pretty much. Doom gets some love as well but the level design is often so much more intricate in Quake which appeals to m (and the music is so perfectly fitting). Might start a new thread about this topic instead, so much stuff to talk about :)

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

When SSI made Dungeon Hack, they copied the monsters (and their stats) verbatim, forgetting that this lovely chap has an Armour Class somewhere close to -10. But then again, EOB3 only accounted for one of these to be around, not multiples...

While I've beaten this game several times (with the difficulty scalers maxed out) I've never been able to beat the game with a non-Cleric character. Everyone else just starves to death. Even worse is that the manual talks about some very powerful set items, I've only ever found ONE item of one set - and of course, it was unusable by my character class!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

When SSI made Dungeon Hack, they copied the monsters (and their stats) verbatim, forgetting that this lovely chap has an Armour Class somewhere close to -10. But then again, EOB3 only accounted for one of these to be around, not multiples...

While I've beaten this game several times (with the difficulty scalers maxed out) I've never been able to beat the game with a non-Cleric character. Everyone else just starves to death. Even worse is that the manual talks about some very powerful set items, I've only ever found ONE item of one set - and of course, it was unusable by my character class!

I have never beaten the game, but i remember going far several times with a mage when i found Vampiric Touch ; basically my HPs never went below the max. But i eventually died being petrified or so...

I have never beaten the game, but i remember going far several times with a mage when i found Vampiric Touch ; basically my HPs never went below the max. But i eventually died being petrified or so...

Yep, getting Vampiric Touch can almost guarantee you a win in Dungeon Hack. It does a lot of damage, and puts your HP over the cap. Bonus HP which doesn't expire when you rest. Abusing it means you'll have more hitpoints than you'd ever need. You can still die, though. There's plenty of instant death to go around.

You aren't using Cow Approved Cheese for a Dungeon Hack cleric. You gotta use two spiritual hammers because they return to your hands when thrown, then turn the game in to Serious Sam and start circle strafing!

That's a pretty good idea. Hammers are probably more useful than Flame Blade, at any rate.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

That's a pretty good idea. Hammers are probably more useful than Flame Blade, at any rate.

Yup. Flame Blade is melee-range only, while Spiritual Hammers are ranged attacks.

And there are LOTS of monsters you don't want in your melee range. The level-draining undead, cockatrices, THAT GODDAMN LIVING MUCK, etc.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
exhumed looks awesome.
I don't how I managed to miss that game in my youth though

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Serious Sam: Next Encounter.
Better than Serious Sam 2 but the fact that's FPS for console.... no, I have no words. Playing FPS on console is impossible, playing on console emulators is pure trauma. There is not enough autoaims that could help you.
iS21bmijg85EQ.jpg

Yeah no thx.

Gorasu - Legacy of the Dragon. One of the many forgotten cRPGs.
il1FR7jn1PHkO.jpg

ibvfDld9YjG73B.jpg

Yes, you can create your own version of Licarior from BG2, that can talk, argue, betray (both based on EGO), gain experience and be brave enough to deal massive critical damage.
iye3zoD0OW1Dl.jpg

ibqFyDOoaRMhWs.jpg

:mhd:

DramaticPopcorn

Gorasu - Legacy of the Dragon. One of the many forgotten cRPGs.
il1FR7jn1PHkO.jpg

ibvfDld9YjG73B.jpg

Yes, you can create your own version of Licarior from BG2, that can talk, argue, betray (both based on EGO), gain experience and be brave enough to deal massive critical damage.
iye3zoD0OW1Dl.jpg

ibqFyDOoaRMhWs.jpg

:mhd:
Wow, looks pretty neat, first time I hear about it. How is the combat and character development?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
DramaticPopcorn
Combat can be set to auto attack or normal. Space to pause + autopause options. Servicable, nothing to complain.
No level scaling, you will meet tough encounters even on lowest difficulty setting (and you can set difficulty for puzzles too). Depend of the size of your party (and XP sharing) Roshondas may be on different level at the end.
No quest compass too but locations are small (compared to enormous one in BG1) and looking for hidden items was cool back then.
Quests are cool, there is variety compared to Fedex quests, still manageable without guide - logic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom