Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

mck

Cipher
I don't even recognize that game :hearnoevil:

What's with those scanline filter blocking the entire screen? THat would make me pretty nauseous... Or is it just temporarily?

It's supposed to be like a '80 VHS "B-movie" campy flick not unlike what New Vegas did with Old World Blues. Also, those eye-candies look much better in motion.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I really don't get all the neon. 80s B-movies weren't ridiculously neon, not even close.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
What's with those scanline filter blocking the entire screen? THat would make me pretty nauseous... Or is it just temporarily?

It's supposed to be like a '80 VHS "B-movie" campy flick not unlike what New Vegas did with Old World Blues. Also, those eye-candies look much better in motion.

Ah ok. Was just asking. In Hotline Miami it looked nice too. But since I found Far Cry 3 to be almost criminally boring, I guess I will skip on this one. Dont really like open world games anyway.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Chernarus, RV4 engine

VdtI8nf.jpg

OyQHA08.jpg

BBVf7v6.jpg

zidT7dO.jpg

VO5IsPg.jpg

2BedAsK.jpg

OLwTdGr.jpg

qCyKvBy.jpg

Also Elite Tier One animations in today's update

wN1z1XO.jpg

LundB

Mistakes were made.
It's not supposed to be 80's but 80's future... which, from what I recall, was pretty neon.

We clearly recall different 80s movies about the future then. That or you're like the people who've tried to tell me that Blade Runner is neon until I had them watch it again and realise the truth.

Multi-headed Cow

Not enough hair. Haven't seen a screenshot with big hair and I haven't seen a screenshot with a woman wearing massive shoulderpads that would put a space marine to shame.

(honestly i'm mostly inclined to agree with skyway. i have no idea what the fuck they're trying to achieve with that. doesn't really work as real 80's, doesn't really work as 80's schlock sci-fi movie (looks too high tech from what i've seen. a better example would be setting it in the 80's but there's one faction of aliens against the humans and the aliens also just happen to look completely human except they wear silver leotards and headbands and have laser guns that go pewpew), doesn't really work as 90's shooter. i don't know. i'm grumpy. haven't looked at it much so maybe it's better than what i've seen from a few screenshots but i think not. i think whoever designed it didn't know what the fuck he was doing and thought "80's are cool right? i didn't live in the 80's but people like stuff from there. there was neon right? let's do that")
Also Elite Tier One animations in today's update

wN1z1XO.jpg
Hey. Hey! I play tacticool shooters too!

916E330EE166AB9598E6A3FFE8DF5F93089D55D9

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
We clearly recall different 80s movies about the future then. That or you're like the people who've tried to tell me that Blade Runner is neon until I had them watch it again and realise the truth.

I thought the whole thing was about 80s videogames. I certainly recall a lot of the videogames back then using bright neon colors for their visuals.

Destroid

Arcane

I thought the whole thing was about 80s videogames. I certainly recall a lot of the videogames back then using bright neon colors for their visuals.

A lot of CGA games used bright magenta and cyan, they had a very limited palette to work with.

MetalCraze

Arcane
A lot of CGA games used bright magenta and cyan, they had a very limited palette to work with.

One thing is a limitation, another looking like a shitty color puke and pretending like it's 80s.
Wanna bet most Ubi devs weren't even born in 80s?

Here's a short interview about Blood Dragon with a person ancient enough to witness 80s himself:

Comrade Qwan: is Blood Dragon looking like 80s?
Comrade Qwan: and I don't mean the quality of graphics
Bruticis: no, it looks like someone puked neon all over everything

Case closed.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
kdHVFAq.jpg

luRwMBk.jpg

SO MANY DEAD AMERICANS

As you can read from the chat snippets, most of the Axis players were from my clan. We organized a coordinated defense and fucked the Allies up hard. This was the first time I witnessed Axis get a ticket-drain victory on this map. I managed to get 80 kills and 7 deaths, shit was glorious. I took a defensive position behind a rock most of the time (one of my favourite positions) and shot them down with my K98k when they approached. Even when they tried flanking me. Also had an MG supporting me.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Best part is that even Tron doesn't look anything like the color puke that is Blood Dragon. It's just blue, black and white mostly.
Even then Tron isn't about the "future" - it's about the virtual computer world.

So keep trying harder, hipster.

No, it does not. But it's 80s sci-fi LundB referenced earlier regarding the origin of those 'neons'. Who gives a fuck if they are so overdone and over-the-top the joke gets distasteful and misses the point in that context? I'm not even trying to argue that it's a particularly witty, profound and remarkably well done pastiche, so why do you instantly assume that I'm trying to defend it in order to take hostility to it and what for? Jesus, what a butthurt sperg.

Bitching and having constant period since 2007. It was the future.

MetalCraze

Arcane
But it's 80s sci-fi LundB referenced earlier regarding the origin of those 'neons'.
No it's not. It looks nothing like shitty Blood Dragon. It also has nothing in common plot/setting style wise to 80s sci fi.

If anything it is similar to late 90s movie style (see Schumacher's Batmans and Escape from LA for example) which did look like a color puke. But how hipsters would know that when they saw movies from neither era and just base their vision on google results of shit like "80s neon" which consist of excrements of very same hipsters?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom