Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Leonorai

Novice
On the other hand your old employees are all tired and angry all the time. Not to mention the impact on quality.
It works for retail, it works for everyone else too apparently.

CEO's win, everyone else gets to suck dick until retirement.

Bradylama

Arcane
Quality work and productivity only counts when you're producing luxury goods. Everybody else can get Chinese knockoffs with lead paint, while keeping the business going long enough for somebody to cash out big before the stocks crash.

Bradylama

Arcane
But aren't games luxury goods?

Your washing machine is a "luxury", my nigga. Luxury goods these days are top shelf items. The goods that are intentionally kept out of reach for us plebes lest we sully them with our common color.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No one talks like that in multi-player

EDIT: shooting looks like CoD and the environtments are black and brown. Very unexciting compared to the space gameplay.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't put my finger on it, but something is very off in that shooting and the movement.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
those floaty reticules that are affected by objects look friggin weird.

Drakron

Arcane
I don't understand the incentive to have such long work hours for prolonged periods of time, why not just hire more people to work normal hours?

Simple.

You are talking about 100+ teams, a lot are just basic technical stuff ... hiring more people just raises costs without speeding the process, especially in coding were less is more.

Most of those people go in when the game goes into actual production, not pre-production and they are entirely redundant after its over ... the long work hours come with the last stretch when design features are locked and its full speed to shipping.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Each person hired also requires his or her own medical coverage benefits. Hire twice as many people? Pay for twice the coverage. It's therefore far cheaper to squeeze 50% more work out of 1/3 fewer workers. Yes, for-profit health care even affects video game development.

buzz

Arcane
I thought Nexuiz was considered decent though. I mean if you look at the reviews on metacritic, most of the negative ones are pretty retarded (too old-school for me, graphics suck, devs are racist etc.)

Leonorai

Novice
If anyone is seriously expecting most of the different modules to work as well as actual separate titles, you're naive as fuck.

It's going to be better than Freelancer and that's that. Sighing that it ain't a 10/10 is pretty unnecessary, it will not live up to the hype, so don't judge it as such.

People see the millions and automatically assume that money = quality, when they damn well know the industry has plopped down stinkers worth far more.

Drax

Arcane
To be fair, the said they were using placeholder animations that will be updated after the incoming mocap sessions. If a system relies heavily on animation-based movement, that should influence things a bit.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is a clear discrepancy between what was promised before the FPS demo in the Q&A session and what the demo really showed.
A moron could argue that its still work in progress but I don't understand why they chose to show a Call of Duty clone instead the promised tactical shooter (infinite ammo and unrealistic bullet damage surely did not help).
Also the weapons look so uninteresting...

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still hope that this will be one of these games that are greater than the sum of their parts.
Therefore I don't really care if the FPS part is mediocre mechanically as long as it serves its purpose, mirrors what happens in the hopefully simultaneously happening space combat (including the chance that your boarding crew gets blown up with the ship you try to capture) and as long as its difficulty depends on class of ship/type of structure, externally inflicted damage etc.
The only thing that has to be outstanding is the space combat part, if that won't be good then the whole thing will be pointless.
And I hope they learned from X Stillbirth. That game also tried to add some gameplay elements from other genres, but it would have been better if it didn't. Running around on spce stations is only fun if there's something interesting there, not just repetitive stuff you could just as well do with a menu in the space sim part.

I still think that Chris Robert is the worst kind of person to be leading any kind of gaming project but, as I said... if the money's there and the willingness to spend the next five to ten years working on it is there as well? Bring it. I'll enjoy having a larf with this when I'm in my 30s. (It doesn't solve any of the issues the game will have with P2W though, but I finally understand why they thought that the process of selling ships would be necessary and I'd almost be inclined to agree with them. Almost.)

There, the thread went on long enough to see me have a change of heart. Group hug, everyone. Group hug.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom