Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SaGa Series Discussion

Sentinel

Arcane
What do the proficiencies affect? Can a characetr with shield level 0 use shields as effectively as a level 1 char?

What about those world skills like find chests and herbs? Can I use them if I don't have the related proficiencies?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I only tried one of the SaGa games on PSX I think it was. Bounced off it hard. What's the draw to this series? Other than art by Sami Kamurocho or whatever.
Most SaGas allow you to do scenarios in whatever order you feel like. Some of them have a board gamey feel to them. Others have many different types of eras/periods/genres, like fantasy, cyberpunk, blahblahblah in the same game. All of them offer a challenge. Music is great in all games. Combat is fun, and seeing your characters develop is nice. The skill sparking gives you a dopamine kick (lol). They are also obtuse as fuck, and you'll have to figure out a lot of shit on your own. This puts off a lot of people, while I love it. They're a blend of jrpg and crpg, in my opinion.
Interesting. Would you say they have a relation to that previously only in Japan one that released recently? Uh... (now I have to go look it up) Live A Live?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I only tried one of the SaGa games on PSX I think it was. Bounced off it hard. What's the draw to this series? Other than art by Sami Kamurocho or whatever.
Most SaGas allow you to do scenarios in whatever order you feel like. Some of them have a board gamey feel to them. Others have many different types of eras/periods/genres, like fantasy, cyberpunk, blahblahblah in the same game. All of them offer a challenge. Music is great in all games. Combat is fun, and seeing your characters develop is nice. The skill sparking gives you a dopamine kick (lol). They are also obtuse as fuck, and you'll have to figure out a lot of shit on your own. This puts off a lot of people, while I love it. They're a blend of jrpg and crpg, in my opinion.
Interesting. Would you say they have a relation to that previously only in Japan one that released recently? Uh... (now I have to go look it up) Live A Live?
Live A Live and SaGa are nothing alike. They are completely different, other than both being turn-based. In Live A Live, you have set characters that have a linear progression like in most jrpgs. In SaGa, you are able to more freely develop your characters, by "learn-by-doing" mechanics.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Live A Live and SaGa are nothing alike. They are completely different, other than both being turn-based. In Live A Live, you have set characters that have a linear progression like in most jrpgs. In SaGa, you are able to more freely develop your characters, by "learn-by-doing" mechanics.
Thanks man. My tastes have evolved since I originally tried them, so I may have to give it another go.

That being said since I buy way more stuff than I ever play because I have brain worms... I already have a never played one on Steam. How does SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions (had to look up the actual title because I missed words... fucking JRPG titles) compare in the series? Is it fairly representative?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most titles are very different even if the foundation is similar. Scarlet Grace is pretty unique. It's all about setting up your turn order, and and delaying enemy turns as much as possible. For example, I had a character die in the final boss fight in one scenario (there are four different scenarios, some more beginner friendly than others), but I didn't revive them, because it was easier for me to manipulate the turn order in my favor. Basically I did managed to do a soft-stun on the boss and win. The game itself doesn't have any dungeon in the classical sense. It's all a world map with many different locations, and encounters that you can see. It is one of the more board gamey title in the series with Unlimited SaGa. When you enter a location, or encounter, you will get different events: story beats, encounters, quests or boss fights. Developing your characters works pretty much like one would expect from the series. There's missable stuff, but one doesn't have to do everything. You should also consider not fighting every single encounter that you see. The series uses a battle rank system. Monster either grow stornger the higher your BR is, or you'll face newer monsters. Usually, it is okay to fight many battles, but not overgrind.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Most titles are very different even if the foundation is similar. Scarlet Grace is pretty unique. It's all about setting up your turn order, and and delaying enemy turns as much as possible. For example, I had a character die in the final boss fight in one scenario (there are four different scenarios, some more beginner friendly than others), but I didn't revive them, because it was easier for me to manipulate the turn order in my favor. Basically I did managed to do a soft-stun on the boss and win. The game itself doesn't have any dungeon in the classical sense. It's all a world map with many different locations, and encounters that you can see. It is one of the more board gamey title in the series with Unlimited SaGa. When you enter a location, or encounter, you will get different events: story beats, encounters, quests or boss fights. Developing your characters works pretty much like one would expect from the series. There's missable stuff, but one doesn't have to do everything. You should also consider not fighting every single encounter that you see. The series uses a battle rank system. Monster either grow stornger the higher your BR is, or you'll face newer monsters. Usually, it is okay to fight many battles, but not overgrind.
Huh. I guess I'll have to check out one or two and see what I think.

Thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate it. :bro:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
What do the proficiencies affect?
Gray is a solid first choice, he actually has completely even Stat potentials so you can make him into anything.

Shield proficiency affects block chance. Note that shields can only trigger if you're using a one handed weapon that round; martial arts and spells count as two handed. For weapons, having level 1 proficiency gives you a DP cost reduction, while every even point gives you a BP reduction. Each level also gives you increasing bonuses to sparking techs.

Note that specialization is key, you won't have enough jewels to get too many proficiency ranks in too many skills on your first run.

Sentinel

Arcane
What do the mode icons mean? do I get a boost in ability effectiveness if I match the ability type to my current battle mode?
image.png

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
What do the mode icons mean? do I get a boost in ability effectiveness if I match the ability type to my current battle mode?
Yes, but it's not overwhelming.

Using techs that match the current mode makes them stronger. There's also a penalty to sparking techs that don't match the mode of the weapon. Note that the weapon just needs ACCESS to the mode to avoid this penalty, it doesn't need to be in the mode currently. You can add or change modes at a blacksmith. It really helps to put versatile weapons (all three modes) on all characters early to speed up learning techs.

Attack mode deals extra damage, defense mode reduces damage and increases block chances, trick mode is faster. There is a rock-paper-scissors effect, where the enemy's mode can cancel yours. Attack beats trick, trick beats defense, defense beats attack. There's a new class in the remaster that lets you see what mode the enemies are in but it's not hugely important for the most part.

The best mode overall is defense. The damage reduction is massive and easily beats out the damage loss of not using attack mode. The strategy for most tough bosses is to maximize armor and use defense mode.

Most titles are very different even if the foundation is similar.
The SaGa dev's stated goal is to give each game a completely unique feature not found in any other games. Explains a lot.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

https://www.square-enix-games.com/e...tent=Interview&utm_campaign=SaGaEmeraldBeyond

Interview: what can you expect from SaGa Emerald Beyond?​

Want to learn more about SaGa Emerald Beyond? SaGa franchise creator Akitoshi Kawazu and Localization Director Neil Broadley reveal all about the upcoming new RPG.
Wednesday 4 October 2023 16:00

By Duncan Heaney
Tags: SaGa,SaGa Emerald Beyond
P14_02-vnqeibbup.jpeg

SaGa Emerald Beyond is aptly named because it’s shaping up to be a real gem of an RPG.
It’s a game that hands the player incredible control over the narrative - the adventure will change dramatically depending on the protagonist you pick, the worlds you visit and the choices you make. All this means two different players can have wildly different experiences.
In short, it’s an exciting and ambitious new project - not to mention the perfect starting point for new players to experience this revered franchise.
We recently got a chance to speak with Akitoshi Kawazu – General Director of the SaGa franchise, and the Director of this new game - and Neil Broadley, Localization Director of the SaGa franchise about this compelling new game.
Read on for the interview:

What makes SaGa games different to other RPGs?
Akitoshi Kawazu (General Director for SaGa / Director, SaGa Emerald Beyond):
The fun of RPGs lies in the collaboration between a player taking on a role and whoever is drawing that out, be it a human game master or through a piece of software. Together, they create a singular experience.
I think one of the defining elements of the SaGa franchise is how it always keeps this in mind. It encourages the player to take the lead and proactively participate in the creation of their own enjoyment within the game.

SaGa Emerald Beyond is a bold and ambitious new game for the series. What were your inspirations when you started development?
Kawazu:
We wanted to create an experience where the user interface, game world, and game mechanics were all intimately connected.
That was our starting point, and it led us to the creation of our protagonists - who can see the emerald vision - the waves of light that present paths to possible fates - and face adversity head on.
P5_05-oygcgm4c9.jpeg

What makes the game a great starting point for players new to the SaGa series?
Neil Broadley (Localization Director):
For those interested in narrative, character development, and learning about the various worlds, SaGa Emerald Beyond features a return of the free-form scenario system with more different branching paths to explore than we’ve ever put in a SaGa game!
The world building rewards you for digging deeper into the story across multiple playthroughs, and with each foray you make you’ll learn a little bit more about each world’s problems, key character development, and more. If you like delving into the “whys” and “hows” of the worlds - shaped by your own individual choices, no less - you’ll find SaGa Emerald Beyond to be an incredibly rich experience.
Kawazu: It’s the culmination of 35 years of the SaGa franchise and has something for everyone - whether you’re a lore hound or a battle afficionado!

There are multiple protagonists, each with their own stories for you to guide and discover. How did you create these fascinating heroes?
Kawazu:
We had the idea that the protagonists would have been born with the innate ability to see the emerald vision - that was the starting point. But I’d also been wanting to tell a story that draws more heavily from ancient and classical Japanese concepts of fantasy narratives.
And so, somewhat unusually for me, I created Tsunanori Mido, the more “Japanese” protagonist first. From there, I expanded out and tried to think of other protagonists who would bring something different to the table.
Broadley: Each protagonist has their own reasons for their journey, but the worlds they visit, and what happens in them, are left for you to discover. You will arrange the pieces of the puzzle as you see fit and no two people are going to come out of SaGa Emerald Beyond with the same experience.
This is true of most SaGa titles, but SaGa Emerald Beyond really ups the ante with how divergent one player’s experience will be from others’ playthroughs.
P16_03-td2u36u7c.jpeg

It must be challenging to write a story that changes and adapts based on the character, world you visit, choices you make, etc…
Kawazu:
Actually that’s the most enjoyable part, so I didn’t find it particularly difficult.
Each protagonist has a different motivation for setting out on their adventure, but the one thing I’m conscious of at all times is to guide the narrative in such a way that any situation can be approached in a positive way

Even so, how do you account for all the many different scenarios and possibilities that players may encounter?
Kawazu:
One way is by making the story of each world completely independent from one another. I’ve constructed a narrative system where there shouldn’t be any issues, as long as the storylines of each protagonist are controlled well.
The game experience will differ greatly between players, but it’s been created in a way that ensures that no matter what they do, the overarching scenario won’t break down.
P6_01-fvgzy81wz.jpeg

What lessons have you learned from previous SaGa games that are being applied here?
Kawazu:
In the previous game, SaGa SCARLET GRACE, we trimmed away the superfluous elements that you don’t need for a traditional roleplaying game. But, looking back, I feel like we perhaps went a bit too far, cutting some of the elements that people expect from a video game.
One of the challenges for SaGa Emerald Beyond was to make sure we were constructing the “roleplaying” elements on the top of a solid video game foundation.
Broadley: We’ve taken the Timeline Battle system that was universally lauded as one of the best things about SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS and iterated on it, providing even more options than before. By using abilities with different action point costs and speed ratings, you can manipulate the turn order to unleash devastating United Attacks and stop your foes from doing the same!

What can we expect from the game’s combat system?
Broadley:
There’s a perception that turn-based combat is often “sluggish” and “samey”: attackers spam the same moves, you’ve got a healer, and maybe some buffs and debuffs that come up for one boss battle and are largely ignored the rest of the game. SaGa Emerald Beyond proves that turn-based combat can be very dynamic and diverse.
For example, in SaGa Emerald Beyond, the turn order changes from round to round and your available action points can fluctuate based on a number of user-controlled factors, you are heavily incentivized to adapt your tactics on the fly. What you did last turn just won’t work this turn. You won’t be spamming the same moves over and over, and you are rewarded for thinking two steps ahead.
If you’ve shied away from turn-based games because you think they’re a bit repetitive, you’ll find SaGa Emerald Beyond to be an eye-opener in just how strategic and tactical turn-based combat can be when done well!
P18_02-6xhdsfknt.jpeg

If this game is successful, do you see it becoming the future of SaGa?
Kawazu:
Videogames must always pursue new ways to be interesting and fun, so I don’t think you can just repeat the same thing - even if it is successful. Of course, as much as possible, I’d like to carry forward any aspects that are well-received by players.

Finally, what SaGa games would you recommend people play while they wait for SaGa Emerald Beyond to release?
Broadley:
While all of the recent remasters and SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS are great entry points for new players, I’d personally recommend SaGa Frontier Remastered or Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered as two great entry points to whet your appetite as you wait for SaGa Emerald Beyond.
The games themselves have withstood the test of time - SaGa Frontier features a bevy of unique locales and protagonists that wildly shape how you experience the game, while Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- has a very cohesive world in which each protagonist is doing their best to forge their own path.
If you prefer an experience that is diverse in all the best possible ways, SaGa Frontier Remastered will not lead you astray. If you prefer seeing a central tale from multiple different perspectives, then Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered will provide you with rich fabric from which you can weave a beautiful tapestry.
Both remasters also boast many quality-of-life improvements that make the games immensely enjoyable for modern audiences who don’t want to deal with the finicky-ness of 1990s and 2000s hardware limitations.
P4_01-g8s0tr0ba.jpeg

Many thanks to Akitoshi Kawazu and Neil Broadley for their time and their insight. SaGa Emerald Beyond launches in 2024 for Nintendo Switch, PS5, PS4, PC via STEAM, iOS and Android.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
SaGa Frontier character designer mentions SaGa Frontier 2 re-release in 2024

Tomomi Kobayashi, who handled character designs for a number of SaGa games including SaGa Frontier and SaGa Frontier 2, published a post on her blog today that mentioned a re-release of SaGa Frontier 2 in 2024—before being edited to exclude the mention.

Earlier today, the end of the blog post included the following text: “Oh! That’s right! It looks like SaGa Frontier 2 is (maybe?) going to be released next year!! My illustrations are in the game! I hope you can look forward to it!!”

The blog post itself is about Romancing SaGa Orchestra Festival 2023, which held its Tokyo and Fukuoka concerts on October 15 and 22, respectively, and will come to Osaka on November 19.

Square Enix already re-released the original SaGa Frontier as SaGa Frontier Remastered for PlayStation 4, Switch, PC via Steam, iOS via App Store, and Android via Google Play on April 15, 2021, but has yet to announce the same treatment for its sequel.

Thanks, @Renka_schedule.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I'm considering playing the first part, Makai Toushi SaGa. Do you recommend the Gameboy emulator, the Steam version or the Wonderswan translation?

Ryan muller

Educated
I'm considering playing the first part, Makai Toushi SaGa. Do you recommend the Gameboy emulator, the Steam version or the Wonderswan translation?

Go for the wonderswan version, it makes monsters actually playable by showing what they can become after eating meat

Ryan muller

Educated
Currently playing unlimited SaGa

Had beat Ruby's scenario with a lot of luck and now im going throught Laura's

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Go for the wonderswan version, it makes monsters actually playable by showing what they can become after eating meat

Yes, I did that. Shamely there was no further ports on this console.

Ryan muller

Educated

Atleast theres the ds versions of 2 and 3, althought they look ugly asf and i havent played them

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Atleast theres the ds versions of 2 and 3, althought they look ugly asf and i havent played them

I'll give it up too. I played a similar port of Final Fantasy 3 and it looked terrible on PC.

Ryan muller

Educated
Currently playing unlimited SaGa

Had beat Ruby's scenario with a lot of luck and now im going throught Laura's

Failed 3 times at Knight's mausoleum, atleast ive finished the Hanging garden

Apparently laura deals almost no damage with her daggers, but ive gave her some fire magic buff panels so atleast shes good at casting (somewhat)

I have no idea what "skill making" is supposed to be in the U.I however, confusing asf

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah actually, I've been avoiding trailers but those screenshots on the steam page... they definitely used A.I. stuff on those backgrounds. They have that weird uncanny valley feel of being in between repeated tiles and slightly tweaked in ways no artist would tweak things to make them unique. Man, what a decline from it's roots. SaGa games used to look (and sound) gorgeous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom