Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Sacred 2 introduces Copy Protection Minigames

MetalCraze

Arcane
Xi said:
Yes, this can be cracked too, but it will remove the casual pirates.
How exactly?
So what will stop cracker groups from cracking an exe and removing DRM checks of the mobo from there?

Also no thanks - having spyware called DRM on software level is enough for me

kris

Arcane
Gorath said:
Of course no DRM would be better for the customers (and the pirates), but Ascaron's implementation is far superior to EA's. Don´t forget that you can reactivate the game an unlimited number of times, without begging via support hotline.

Why is it better for pirates? they don't care about drm since it is never in their game. The ones cracking it on the other hand just like a little bit of a challenge I reckon. although I can't speak for them.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Xi said:
I feel pretty strongly that DRM won't work until it's physically placed onto motherboards, much like consoles. Yes, this can be cracked too, but it will remove the casual pirates. Also, any systems that allows for some type of online component, where much of the content is streamed via server side, and of which the service provides something players are looking and willing to pay for.

That's not really DRM "working", that's DRM breaking everything else.
Now hush, you're gonna give me nightmares.

Micmu

Magister
Will they blame the pirates when and if they'll be closing doors, too? :)
MORE brainfucked DRM / rootkit / whatever malware and restrictions next time in more games?
While the DRM in this game doesn't sound so annoying, being software in nature, it's completely pointless for any non-online play.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
Jaime Lannister said:
I don't upgrade my computer every day.

Do you?

I regularly buy new hard disks so I have space for all the torrents I download.

So yeah, still haven't heard an example of how Sacred's DRM hurts legitimate customers.

Blind Eye

Scholar
Quote from Shannow:

Well, do I have to ask Ford, Toyota or BMW for permission before selling my car? Do I have to ask permission before changing the kind of oil or petrol I use?

Hey Shannow,

I'd just like to point out that cars have to be removed from an invantory.

Mareus

Magister
The solution is simple. Buy the original and than find a crack that will remove DRM and allow you to play the game without much hassle.

PS. However have in mind that by buying the game you are actually supporting DRM. So the best thing is just to damn pirate the damn thing.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While this limitation doesn't really seem harmful to me, DRMs that are similar are generally pointless, leading only to hatred against copy protections in general.
It's like buying a fridge that won't open after it has been opened 1000 times.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Jaime Lannister said:
assuming that was a general "you", if by upgrade you mean switching two or more components, i do that on a pretty much daily basis. i also own more than 3 computers, in different parts of this country, and would like to be able to play the shit i buy on all of them, as supposedly i am allowed to by law.

Jaime Lannister said:
So yeah, still haven't heard an example of how Sacred's DRM hurts legitimate customers.
spore uses securom and securom's disk verification is why a majority of the legitimate owners cannot install the game from the dvd.
for example my drive starts choking and installs with a speed of 100kb/s, while other people's drives cease to run installation alltogether, or corrupt the installed files.

this doesn't happen when you mount the not removed from inventory image (or frankly if you simply copy the whole friggin dvd to hd and install from there).
many of the game's bugs are also pretty much consistent with securom misfiring, and aren't there in the cracked version.

and last but not least, you have a right to resell the software you bought, or rent it to friends. not that easy with this kind of drm.

lefthandblack

Arcane
Choices and consequences.

This DRM falls somewhere in between Spore/Mass Effect (the worst) and Stardock's impulse, either way you are going to get fucked, you just need to choose the amount of pain you want to be involved.

You simply have to choose between Leroy the convict's thirteen inches of pain and Star the Thai Ladyboy's tiny tickler.

The third option is finding an effective method of castrating Leroy or Star.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Stardock DRM is ok. It just checks whether your copy is legitimate or not when you connect to Stardock servers. Like to get a patch for example.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Jaime Lannister said:
Just deactivate, uninstall, upgrade, and reinstall. Not exactly the most painful procedure in the world.

Now repeat that for every piece of software you have installed, if this kind of DRM catches on.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Heres the long and short of this.
Like the Bioshock, Mass Effect Fiasco this will have NO EFFECT on the p2p users.
However it will effect legit purchasers of the software.
Notice how the activation seems to limit second sale stc.
I am sure the official forums will be flooded with "help Sacred 2 used up my activations" threads and like with the case of Bioshock and ME they will be told to contact whoever is responsible for the drm , and then the company responsible for the drm will tell them to contact the game publisher and round and round it goes, not mention you'll probably have to fax proof of purchase to whoever you finally get to admit they can give you back activations.
Which will of course drive more people to p2p game.
Whether its after they buy the game (publishers count the no-cd exe cracks as pirating a game these days) or before they decide to purchase.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, his post is full of errors, not a good way to represent your studio, but anyway, I kinda like his point of view on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom