Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Sacred 2 introduces Copy Protection Minigames

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Sacred 2

Bear in mind that first, this news might not be too bad, and second, that it may only apply for the German market (although I wouldn't bet on it). Anyway, Ascaron have released the <a href="http://forum.sacred-game.com/showthread.php?t=49603">Sacred 2 DRM details</a> to the public. Here's a summary which I shamelessly grab from <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5402">RPG Watch</a>:<blockquote>1 box, 2 licenses
<br>
1 license can be used online at a time
<br>
2 can be played via LAN
<br>
2 can be used for SP
<br>
You can play without the DVD. It´s not needed in the drive.</blockquote>So far, so good. This is more than you usually get nowadays, I think. But (emphasis mine)...<blockquote>unlimited installations, <b>2 activations</b>
<br>
Activations can be revoked through multiple channels (online-auto, online tools, offline). Revoke & re-activate can be done an unlimited number of times.
<br>
One PC component can be replaced without problems. Beyond that revoke & re-activate is the recommended procedure.
<br>
There will be an emergency hotline for DRM issues due to failed hardware, etc. The manual page with the key serves as proof of purchase.
<br>
Internet connection is needed during installation. The FAQ explains you can use a friend's PC for manual activation though.
<br>
<b>A transfer to a third [party] is not part of the license.</b></blockquote>All these things strike me as completely unnecessary. What's the reasoning behind the requirement that I do not change my gfx and sound card, and if I do, I should revoke & re-activate? Why the hassle?<blockquote>The activation servers will be available for the next couple of years. Should this no longer be the case, the DRM will be patched out.</blockquote>Somehow I'm sceptical.
<br>
<br>
There already is an English <a href="http://www.unlock.sacred2.com/">activation page</a>. The funny thing is that it says:<blockquote>Revoking the activation is important to reset the full activation rights and allow you to install the game on another computer or <b>sell it</b>. </blockquote>So will I be allowed to sell my copy or not?
<br>
<br>
I also don't like that the first thing the <a href="http://forum.sacred-game.com/showthread.php?t=49603">Sacred 2 DRM FAQ</a> tells me is that I'm "buying a license to play the game, not the ownership of the software". Yeah, I know it's (almost) always been like that... but why should it be the first thing to point out, and in the hard German tone, too?
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>LCJr</b>!
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

YourConscience

Scholar
hard German tone? Do you realy sink sis is hard german tone? You chaf not even cherd real chard german ton!

In other news, I think this is actually quite a nice DRM procedure. Reminds me of the spawn installs of Diablo and it does allow you to sell the game. That thing about transfer to third party probably means that you cannot *directly* "give" someone an activation. If you sell the game, you've got to make sure to revoke your two activations, then sell it, then the new owner can activate 2 time all right.

I actually think that here someone really tried to find an intelligent balance between the publisher's fear of piracy (or whatever) and the customers needs.

LCJr.

Erudite
YourConscience said:
In other news, I think this is actually quite a nice DRM procedure. Reminds me of the spawn installs of Diablo and it does allow you to sell the game. That thing about transfer to third party probably means that you cannot *directly* "give" someone an activation. If you sell the game, you've got to make sure to revoke your two activations, then sell it, then the new owner can activate 2 time all right.

I actually think that here someone really tried to find an intelligent balance between the publisher's fear of piracy (or whatever) and the customers needs.

I strongly disagree. It's bullshit. The only people DRM affects are the legal owners of the game. Why should I have to use one of my activations or go through customer support if I do nothing more than upgrade my hardware? This is the same DRM used in Spore and that game has already been cracked and distributed by Reloaded.

Shannow

Waster of Time
YourConscience said:
hard German tone? Do you realy sink sis is hard german tone? You chaf not even cherd real chard german ton!

I must be really strange. If I buy something, I consider it mine (I know, a really weird concept). If it isn't an online game I want to able to play it (install it) even if I don't have internet connection. Hell, I don't even want stuff calling home without my say so.
I don't want to have to bother with any hassle after the purchase. Anti-pirates always like to (wrongfully) use the analogon of buying (stealing) a car. Well, do I have to ask Ford, Toyota or BMW for permission before selling my car? Do I have to ask permission before changing the kind of oil or petrol I use?
Now, Ascaron isn't losing a customer with me since I wasn't interested anyway, but if this becomes commonplace I'll either stop purchasing and playing new games or start downloading stuff I would have bought otherwise. While I don't think me not buying games will "kill pc gaming" ;) I am saddened by it.
But since you have no problem with it I suppose there are enough people who will not be bothered by this kind of DRM. The question remains whether most pirates (and DRM is supposed to force people to buy instead of download) tend towards your point of view or mine. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I think I know the answer ;)

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Just deactivate, uninstall, upgrade, and reinstall. Not exactly the most painful procedure in the world.

crakkie

Arcane
So will I be allowed to sell my copy or not?
Yes, but you can't sell one of the activations and keep the other one. It sounds like they're going way out of their way to let you install a free copy on a friend or family member's computer.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
With all this new limited activations DRM shit console games are getting another strong point over PC games. I will buy Dragon Age and Sacred on my PS3(assuming there wiil be a PS3 version) instead of PC with no regrets if it will allow me to own those games and not rent them for 3 installs. Good attempt at saving pc gaming market :facepalm:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jaime Lannister said:
Just deactivate, uninstall, upgrade, and reinstall. Not exactly the most painful procedure in the world.
Point is it should just be "upgrade". The other 3 are not needed. And while doing them I will feel like an ass knowing the pirates don't need to do them.

Topher

Cipher
I have almost totally switched to console gaming and I won't purchase anything with any form of DRM whatsoever.

Out of curiosity if you have to activate the game on-line but don't have the internet... what then?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
RPGCodex: A forum for crybabies.

You have UNLIMITED installs, just no more than 2 at a time. You'd have to be a complete retard to use up your activations.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And yet again this bullshit will be cracked in the first 3 days. So the only ones who will have the hassle will be legitimate customers.
When will they learn?
Guess everyone wants a piece of the great Bioware failure

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Whos gonna read all this shit anyway? Sacred doesnt make my nipples hard, so if they make it even moar "strange" to use with some DRM/buttseks/whatsoever then they can kiss my hairy ass. Life will go on even without Sacred.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Elwro said:
<b>A transfer to a third [party] is not part of the license.
hm, i was under the impression that this violates german consumer protection...

Hory

Erudite
What's even worse is that all of these complicated systems cost them, and this will be reflected in the game's price. Players enjoy it less AND have to pay more!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Elwro said:
Really? I'd bet EULA of any game from a major publisher contains something like this.
eulas are worth shit here, as far as i am aware.
you are entitled to certain rights by ownership of the physical medium, like running the software (void in case of digital downloads obviously), and accepting an eula isn't binding.

bgillisp

Scholar
Hmmm...sounds like a decent balance actualy (nowhere as bad as Spore's really). I don't mind limited activations as long as I can deactivate one without jumping through (many) hoops. Right now Napster uses something similar for music, you have 3 activations per account, but you can deactivate one if you need to free up one for another computer. I understand Apple uses something similar for Itunes too, but I don't hear anyone complaining about any of those.

Though, I am concerned about what happens if your serial # gets hacked and you need to activate it. Do you just deactive the other people? What if someone else gets ahold of yours and does the same to you? I ran into this trouble with Windows XP actually on one of my last reinstalls...got the you used 3 installs in 30 days message, yet that was my first install in over a year.

Gorath

Novice
Elwro said:
Jaime Lannister said:
Point is it should just be "upgrade". The other 3 are not needed. And while doing them I will feel like an ass knowing the pirates don't need to do them.

The correct procedure is: deactivate, upgrade, activate. Uninstall and reinstall are not necessary. As you can see on that server site all you have to do is copy & paste a few serial numbers.
As posted in the official forum by one of their managing directors you can actually replace two parts before the DRM kicks in. Given the posted info is correct. The officials over there had quite a lot of work today. ;)

Of course no DRM would be better for the customers (and the pirates), but Ascaron's implementation is far superior to EA's. Don´t forget that you can reactivate the game an unlimited number of times, without begging via support hotline.

It´s also worth mentioning that Ascaron indeed removed Sacred's CP via patch.

imanol

Novice
Heh, after reading the 1-star reviews on amazon for Spore, this seems relatively benign. Sure they still make you jump through hoops, but still better than the $50 rental EA is doing with Spore.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Jaime Lannister said:
RPGCodex: A forum for crybabies.

You have UNLIMITED installs, just no more than 2 at a time. You'd have to be a complete retard to use up your activations.
Jaime Lannister, an emotional retard who does not see the difference between statements and crying. Not to mention that you are a one-handed cripple, a cold hearted child-murderer and an unapologising sister-fucker. ^^

The oranges are smeared in shit to discurrage thieves. Every purchaser is given a pair of gloves and a clothespin. Everytime he wants to eat one he only needs to wash off the shit. He can do this UNLIMETED times. Great...

You live in the first floor. Would you think it is a great idea to walk up to the second floor and back down every day after you come home from work?

Also, what Korgan said.

Xi

Arcane
I feel pretty strongly that DRM won't work until it's physically placed onto motherboards, much like consoles. Yes, this can be cracked too, but it will remove the casual pirates. Also, any systems that allows for some type of online component, where much of the content is streamed via server side, and of which the service provides something players are looking and willing to pay for.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I don't upgrade my computer every day.

Do you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom