Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Repressed Homosexual
Sad that there only seem to be posts of people complaining about the game.

Not every encounter needs to be perilous in order to make a great game, quite frankly.

I don't mind that it's not the hardest game in the world.

This series is fun for the creativity, the hilarity and the crazy drama. It truly is a breath of fresh air.

On that it delivers in spades. Quite frankly I've enjoyed my first 8 hours a lot.

Essentially, if you liked Like a Dragon, this is just more of the same. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinite Wealth is, despite Sega's bullshit a fun game. Starts out great, and if the game keeps this up, it will be a wild ride.

Ichiban is a great character (but Kiryu will always be number one, and Akiyama number two).

If you like the series, and can accept turn-based combat, play the game when you feel that the price has gone down enough.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Yeah, that 89€ price tag for the full game is pure bullshit. Waiting for a price decrease.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So how good was that Judgement game (that from what I understand has nothing to do with Like a Dragon) ?
The gameplay is the same as in all Yakuza games (except Ichiban's turn-based ones), but the plot of Judgment is the most coherent of all.
And it takes place in Kamurocho, so you'd feel right at home.

In "Like a Dragon: The Game Which Had the Longest Title" Gaiden Kiryu can meet (that means fight and then make pals with) Kato and his yakuza-bro, but there's no sight of Yagami though.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Judgment is the only game in the series to bore me, and this is coming from someone who loves doing all the sub-missions in the other games as they appear and engaging with side activities.. Judgment, however, didn't really grab me for some reason. The story is ok, and I'm sure it gets better as it goes on but the constant interrupting with having to search for people, use the drone, now do some lockpicking, now do some chasing, and while those things are fine on their own but linked together it just feels scattered. Dunno. The side missions that I did were also pretty boring for the most part and everything is played pretty down-to-earth which might sense for the characters but it just feels odd. You need larger-than-life characters like the Tojo Clan and Kiryu/Akiyama to stand out against the backdrop of Kamurocho. Maybe it gets better I dunno, I'll probably try it again in the future if I feel like it. I stopped in Chapter 3, I think.

I heard Lost Judgment was a lot better though.

cruel

Cipher
Started playing Infinite Wealth yesterday, the game is very good, despite Sega's decisions. Very polished, zero bugs, good music, improved combat. Positioning matters now, you can use objects lying around for regular attacks, plus they implemented a collision system of sorts - hitting an enemy close to a wall or other enemy will cause collision damage. Probably it will be more than that, but very good impressions so far - anyone who liked previous LAD will feel at home here.

Repressed Homosexual
Infinite Wealth is, despite Sega's bullshit a fun game. Starts out great, and if the game keeps this up, it will be a wild ride.

Ichiban is a great character (but Kiryu will always be number one, and Akiyama number two).

If you like the series, and can accept turn-based combat, play the game when you feel that the price has gone down enough.

If Sega's bullshit is what will keep this franchise alive and well, then so be it. Just get the DLC later when there's the inevitable steep discount.

People forget where we came from.

I remember people being angry for years about Yakuza 4 not being localized due to pitiful sales.

And now we're in a state where you take one look at YouTube, and there are hundreds of Yakuza videos with millions of views, and characters like Kiryu and Majima are household names, where meme videos about them can also get millions of views.

It went from complete obscurity to cultural phenomenon. It's truly amazing.

ekrolo2

Learned
So how good was that Judgement game (that from what I understand has nothing to do with Like a Dragon) ?
Judgment is pretty good. You're playing a private eye so a lot of the main quest and side content is framed as particular investigations and cases you perform.

Combat is much more acrobatic than Kiryu since you've the ability to jump over enemies, jump off walls for combos and to juggle them. The story is more noir styled than the mainline games which is apparent from the visuals and soundtrack. It's also completely standalone. You don't need to play anything else from the series to follow the story.

It's also been cracked so if you're on the fence just sail the high seas and see how you'll like it.

KeAShizuku

Novice
They sold the remake for Yakuza Ishin at 60 euro. Now I could have sworn that Kiwami was €20 back in the day.

So prices have been going up. Probably because this series is now more popular and Sega can get away with it.

Caim

Arcane

Nelka

Educated
Do you guys think I have a chance?!

Like_a_Dragon_Infinite_Wealth_2024.01.29-00.29.png

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I enjoyed Judgment much more than Like a Dragon. I even tried to do a lot of the achievements, which tends to be pretty tedious in Yakuza games.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
Does the narrative in infinite wealth compare to that of yakuza 0, or does it lean towards being excessively comical and silly?

Cologno

Educated
Does the narrative in infinite wealth compare to that of yakuza 0, or does it lean towards being excessively comical and silly?
The latter.

It gets darker and more serious in the last 40% of the game.
Yes, it most certainly did. I think I'm a little past
the point you're probably referring to.

Infinite Wealth signifies the first time in my life I'm not excited over a Yakuza title.
It's good, better than LaD in most ways, they hit their stride...but next game and the DLC shenanigans don't bode well for the future.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm confused. Just noticed Yakuza: Like A Dragon exists and it looks like my jam. Is Infinite Wealth a sequal or..?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom