Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPS interview with David Gaider on romances and Beamdog's failed attempts at Baldur's Gate III and a Planescape Torment sequel

skaraher

Cipher
Never forget romances were a response to popular demand from Biodrones and the modding community. Never underestimate what damage a niche community of loud weirdoes can do when devs start listening to them.

As for Gayder well, his writing always was bland, unimaginative and his novels are shitty, but I don't know, it was still passable. Following classical tropes by the book. When we see the shitfest Bioware and Nu-RPG writing departments became, it wasn't all that bad.

He still lost his mojo after the first Dragon Age tho.

Last edited:
Bioware in general became kinda lost after being put in the spotlight with ME1 and DAO. I too find Gaider, or atleast early Gaider, to be a competent writer. Biodrones were always there, because, to be completely fair, the personalities of the npcs were probably one of the things that set BG apart from old rpgs, because it was most likely the first rpg with mainstream appeal that had character that resembled people (take this with a grain of salt, though).Characters that come in pairs killed your party building ideas, but it was a novel concept that made them feel like they had lives outside of you. WHich is something that's been completely lost from Bioware games.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
“When I think of it today, I wonder how well that would have gone over,” Gaider says. “Because the fans of Planescape: Torment are the most hardcore of the hardcore. Would they want their baby to be touched by the guy who did the romance stuff?”

I know Chris Avellone would no longer want this dishonorable coward sullying his work. :cool:
Wooooooosh Roguey, lol.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Romance in video games is great.

It's plain old hilarious seeing if the writers will screw it up.

Usually the games with good romance have great everything else, because the good writers *have their schtick together*.

9ted6

Educated
Kind of weird to hate romances and writing them but then every character you write is defined by their sexuality and not their personality.
I can't honestly remember if Gaider was always like this or if working on DA2 broke his mind and turned him into w/e he is today.

5JF8d0b.jpeg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wooooooosh Roguey, lol.
The context is that Gaider destroyed a 20-year friendship because he actually sided against Avellone when Karissa (falsely) accused him of sexually assaulting her when Gaider was right there with them. A betrayal worse than Feargus because with him it was just business.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Wooooooosh Roguey, lol.
The context is that Gaider destroyed a 20-year friendship because he actually sided against Avellone when Karissa (falsely) accused him of sexually assaulting her when Gaider was right there with them. A betrayal worse than Feargus because with him it was just business.

Sure, but also totally unconnected to Gaider's more subtle sentence.

Cross

Arcane
I think it's hilarious that Gaider was probably thinking of Codexers when he said that. Still haunting @Dgaider's mind all these years later.

But it's kind of a weird statement since PS:T had romances too?
Not really. Baldur's Gate 2 established a template for how subsequent RPGs would handle romance, with multiple romanceable companions, as well as the romance being central to the companion's character arc and something you pursue throughout the game. PS:T does neither. There are some romantical interactions with Annah, but it's a minor part of the companion interaction in PS:T.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Phew. That bullet cracked too close for comfort.

As least we won't have online discussions about the sweat composition of the Lady of Pain after her inevitable romance in a Beamdog sequel.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wooooooosh Roguey, lol.

Sure, but also totally unconnected to Gaider's more subtle sentence.

Gaider: The fans would have hated it if I touched one of their favorite games.

Roguey: Even the guy who wrote it would have hated it if you touched it.

Not really. Baldur's Gate 2 established a template for how subsequent RPGs would handle romance, with multiple romanceable companions, as well as the romance being central to the companion's character arc and something you pursue throughout the game. PS:T does neither. There are some romantical interactions with Annah, but it's a minor part of the companion interaction in PS:T.
Romance is very integral to Torment's themes. Ravel does what she does because of her unrequited love for TNO. Deionarra was a former lover you betrayed. Annah and Grace are the Veronica and Betty of the story (Avellone outright said this, and that he also cribbed the dynamics from Harlequin romance novels) who have some strong scenes, especially with the ending. As Ed said in his latest video, Torment has a very male-centric plot. The story as is wouldn't work if you just copy-pasted a woman in the leading role.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom