Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime RPGs where you can murder NPCs?

turkishronin

Arcane
The fun part of RPGs for me is to kill innocent NPCs when no one is around. The problem is that most of the time the entire town goes on alert against me even though no one saw the murder.
So far I've found out that you can stealthily murder NPCs in these games
Arcanum
Fallout New Vegas
Gothic
Do you know any other RPGs like that?

deuxhero

Arcane
Deus Ex lets you do this and even kill kids (though they're all clearly voiced by adult men). IW supposedly also lets you do it, but the game is so hopelessly unstable I can't get far enough to tell even though that's my primary reason to try it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fallout 1 and 2?
I can't remember, but there are settlements where you can butcher to your heart's content(like New Reno), but others where the people of the settlement will attack you.
In Temple of Elemental Evil you can also go berserk, but people will eventually attack you if you score a certain amount of kills, I believe.
Chaotic Evil murderhobo party, yes?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
in Morrowind you can kill all, if you kill an essential NPC the game basically tells you that now you're fucked.
edrdk7qio2q81.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
being able to kill anyone is one of the most underrated aspects of RPG design, clueless designers misinterpret it as being able to kill everyone and dismiss it.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Deus Ex lets you do this and even kill kids (though they're all clearly voiced by adult men). IW supposedly also lets you do it, but the game is so hopelessly unstable I can't get far enough to tell even though that's my primary reason to try it.
You can literally shoot up a school in Invisible War if you want to. Kids killable, one of the maps is a school in the Cairo Arcology, kids and teachers inside. I'm not sure how many games exist that let you walk into a school and shoot all the kids, especially back then (only 4 years after Columbine).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You can literally shoot up a school in Invisible War if you want to. Kids killable, one of the maps is a school in the Cairo Arcology, kids and teachers inside. I'm not sure how many games exist that let you walk into a school and shoot all the kids, especially back then (only 4 years after Columbine).
American school shooting simulator.

Norfleet

being able to kill anyone is one of the most underrated aspects of RPG design, clueless designers misinterpret it as being able to kill everyone and dismiss it.
To be fair, these are mathematically identical and we can prove this by induction. If we can kill NPC 1, and we can kill NPC N, and we can kill NPC N+1, then we can kill NPC N for all N. Thus, "kill anyone" = "kill everyone".

Admittedly, the question of how much of a game you will have left after you simply kill everyone is unclear. I imagine you would get this ending:

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
American school shooting simulator.
With a Mosque DLC.

The Limper

Educated
Pillars of Eternity. Some of the backer NPCs will drop good loot, like the dude next to the Temple of Eothas wearing Plate Armor in Gilded Vale and the dude in Copperlane with the Stag Helm. Plus you can feed party NPcs to the Blood Pool (so fitting for that twat Durance…)and you can send/trick Icantha’s prisoners and the little girl to go to the top of the tower in Heritage Hill to be eaten alive.

Ladonna

Arcane
In Ultima V you can murder anyone when they go to bed. Just attack them in their bed and insta kill. If no guards are around, nobody knows.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You can suck prostitutes and other unnamed NPCs dry, in VtMB. If I remember correctly you don't even need to be thirsty for blood to do it (so you're basically killing an human being for fun).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The fun part of RPGs for me is to kill innocent NPCs when no one is around. The problem is that most of the time the entire town goes on alert against me even though no one saw the murder.
So far I've found out that you can stealthily murder NPCs in these games
Arcanum
Fallout New Vegas
Gothic
Do you know any other RPGs like that?
Not sure how you missed Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but it is the preeminent medieval crime simulator, and it's a great pity that engine wasn't licensed out to a developer making a game set in an urban environment based specifically around the crime-related mechanics.

EsHbtxu.png

CxqxNb1.png

S89GPyG.png

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ultima 1-7 lets you murder most people with impunity. Trying to do this in 8 gets you blown to pieces.

Murdering npcs in Daggerfall is required to be invited to the Dark Brotherhood.

The entire point of Questron 2 is to become strong enough to murder everyone in the castle.

You can murder people in Baldur's Gate after you finish the tutorial, trying to murder people in Candlekeep makes Gorion kill you instantly the moment he sees you.

You can murder anyone you can force an encounter with in Wasteland and there are several situations where starting a fight makes other people rush to their aid. You can kill all the children in Highpool which will summon Red Ryder, killing him turns the place into a ghost town. You even get to kill a baby if you go the Topeka tent at the Rail Nomad's camp. You can shoot up the entire police department in Needles and the Servants of the Mushroom Cloud church in Las Vegas as well as Fyran Brygo and Fat Freddy's places. Also, you can blow up the hobo dogs stand with the howitzer in downtown needles just for fun.

In QFG4 You can murder Lorre Petrovich after you transform him back into a human, costing you all of your honor.

Lands of Lore 1 gives you the option to kill certain npcs in dialogue, there is never any reason to do this.

You can murder several hulines in the village in Lands of Lore 2 to no ill effect. Murdering the hulines in the savage jungle puts you down the dark path which ends with you killing Baccata, Dawn, and the Draracle and becoming the new dark god. Funny side note, Dawn will try to seduce you in skimpy clothing near the end in order to kill you.

Killing everything you find in random encounters at the start of Undertale puts you down the genocide path, you can break out of it at any point by sparing someone, but why would you do that?

Murdering the Chancellor at the end of Eschalon gives you the title of destroyer and a bad ending.

Last edited by a moderator:

Narushima

Cipher
Dark Souls 2 lets you kill all NPCs, including the lady who levels you up and the sellers. To interact with them after you've killed them, you have to donate quite a lot of souls at their tombstone.

Unwanted

SunKing

He/Him
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex Year of the Donut
Ultima VII cast Armageddon watch the world burn. You can kill everyone in the game. I believe FONV you can kill everyone and win. Yes Man the robot will allow you to finish the game.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Ultima is one of those games where you can kill anyone, but doing so locks you out of completing the game (except in U1-5 because all the NPCs respawn in those). That's why the real fun is had in repeat playthroughs - in Ultima Underworld, you might refrain from killing all the goblins on floor 1 out of fear of locking yourself out of winning, but on a repeat playthrough, you'll already know which NPCs are essential and which aren't (essential NPCs are actually pretty small in number; I think only the old woman by the lava is essential because she gives you the Key of Love), so you can go wild.
Ultima Underworld 2 actually has a substantial part of the game where you can kill all the intelligent NPCs without a problem, the Goblin Tower. You can sneak through without any conflict by picking the right dialogue options, you can face all the goblins in combat, or you can find a secret to let a giant troll out of his jail cell, after which he will kill all the goblins for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom