Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs that are unanimously praised by people of refined taste that you never could finish.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I can understand that people don't like to see their reticle shrink. The more so if it was big to start with.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Unbrofisted the brofist that I had given to LV after realizing he implies that Codexers have a big reticle to begin with.

On topic, I find the whole debate over the shrinking reticule amusing. Especially since, of the many mechanics in AP that I disliked (referring to Roguey's post here), I hadn't even stopped to think about this one. C'mon people, this is almost as bad as skyway claiming that weapon switching in Doom takes 3 seconds.

Though I'll admit this particular new development makes me far less sad than how the threas started.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
My first time playing DE can be summed up into:
1.'Gimme the Sniper Rifle'.
2.Look into the scope
3.motion sickness
4.Quit to take a break.

My first time:

Guess I'll take the crossbow, that sounds useful...here's an enemy, first bloo- ah, he moved. I'll just have to wait until I can aim just ri- he moved again...maybe I'll just wait until he passes through that point during patrol an- *MISS*

:x

*WHACK* *WHACK* *WHACK* *WHACK* *WHACK* *WHACK*

...I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship, mr. melee weapon.

I roleplayed that JC wears sunglasses at night to protect his eyes from all the spilled blood

RK47

Patron
My first time:

Guess I'll take the crossbow, that sounds useful...here's an enemy, first bloo- ah, he moved. I'll just have to wait until I can aim just ri- he moved again...maybe I'll just wait until he passes through that point during patrol an- *MISS*

:lol:

I feel like getting in on this discussion but it's been trailing on for so long and in so many directions I don't really know what it's about any more.

Can you sum up your arguments? Is this about shrinking aiming reticule versus enforced bullet spread linked to the character's shooting skill in an RPG? What are the other points?

And are we talking about a reticule that slowly shrinks with time when you hold the aim in position, or a reticule that only becomes smaller when there is an increase in character skill?

DraQ

Arcane
In all the heprderp of this thread I've been reminded of one thing I absolutely abhor about every skill/movement based implementation of accuracy so far:

Fucking shotguns.

How the fuck does character's skill, physical state, or whether or not they're bunnyhopping can affect spread of a shotgun firing shot? It's retarded. It's grotesque. It's lazy.
Fucking shotguns, how do they work?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
In all the heprderp of this thread I've been reminded of one thing I absolutely abhor about every skill/movement based implementation of accuracy so far:

Fucking shotguns.

How the fuck does character's skill, physical state, or whether or not they're bunnyhopping can affect spread of a shotgun firing shot? It's retarded. It's grotesque. It's lazy.
Fucking shotguns, how do they work?
To be fair, if videogames are to be believed, the average shotgun has a range of no more than 10 feet anyway.

Well I tried to like Planescape: Torment. I played it a few different times. The first time I quit early. The last time I played I invested more time. Yet I still only just got past the first part and had started exploring in that town. The thing which kept bothered me is there's so much dialogue. I was also afraid to kill anything because I didn't know what the implications would be, so I felt I had to talk to everybody. It felt more like a chore. I usually prefer rpg's which don't focus so heavily on dialogue, but I've had my fill of reading text since I first started playing games. I had some fun in Planescape: Torment, and I'll probably try to play it again someday.

This is why I want to get Icewind Dale as opposed to Baldur's Gate. I read Icewind Dale focuses more on combat. Still, I'd like to try BG too. Even though I know I don't like to talk too much, I HAVE enjoyed it at times. I guess it really depends how tactical the combat is. I get a real surge of pleasure when there're lots of details in combat to consider. That to me is most important. If a game can do the combat portion well enough, I can probably overlook lots of dialogues.

See, I'm not JUST a tactical or strategic gamer. I like RPGs. I like some dialogue and questing. I really like to have all of it. But I guess I want more of the tactical or strategical side of things. When trying to characterize gamers, we shouldn't stereotype too much or try to cast them as one thing or just a couple things. Games are similar. All games have some elements of others, some more than others. We live in a world with lots of color and diversity. It's something to celebrate.

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
It would appear Dragon Age Inquisition would suit your taste better with its excellent blend of action, tactic and story telling.
It is a true cultural monument of human achievement.

RK47

Patron
Drago is right, that issue is solved in DAI where you can't kill anyone that the devs do not want you to kill.
Old developers are so stupid to not realize the implication of murdering people would result in dead people.
This 'players-first' design can be seen when I approach a dangerous place and run dangerously low on healing potions, only to stumble upon a box full of potions to replenish my dwindling supply of consumables.
Truly Bioware knows how to solve every player's dilemma in gaming.
:happytrollboy:

Last edited:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
See, I'm not JUST a tactical or strategic gamer. I like RPGs. I like some dialogue and questing. I really like to have all of it. But I guess I want more of the tactical or strategical side of things.
You might want to try Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin. They are very combat-heavy but also have a fairly interesting plot.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was Jesus Denton, ghosting through like the holy ghost and never taking a life...

until the plot forces me to launch a ICBM at a military base :rage:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ultimas. I've played only V, VI and VII but I've never finished any. First of all, I had a headache playing VI and VII due to the camera. I couldn't play longer than like 30 minutes. Then there were these Dungeon Siege remakes of V and VI. I had been happy I can play without headaches but it turned out these games are mediocre. No interesting C&C, open-world is mostly empty and boring... yeah, I know I'll be mentally raped here for this, but Ultimas are meh. If there wasn't more interesting cRPGs around I'd probably finish the remakes, but there are many great games nowadays, both cRPGs and not. Maybe I'll give them another time some summer holidays, but currently I have no plans to do so.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Betrayal at Krondor is the first one that popped in my head. A bit too clunky for me and a bit too reading focused. Those early 3D environments were pretty hard to look at. I tried, both at the time and much later on, but couldn't get into it.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The difference between IWD's character development and BG2's character development is an entirely personal thing. It's your own imagination's emotions versus spoon-fed forced emotions.

I find the concept that IWD doesn't have any character development to be unfactual, not because the game doesn't provide any, but because by not providing me any they free me up to invent my own character's and imagine their development for myself - like true P&P. I find, when I play IWD, that I care more for my characters because they are all my characters, that I have created and grown to love based on what characters I like to play with (filth pun intentional). I really care if any of them come close to dying.

When playing BG2 however, I get all these pre-defined unchangable characters forced upon me, hardly any of which I can either relate to or like. The game then gives me pre-destined quests and group interruption based on something that is beyond my control. Whether I can emote with any of them is entirely subjective and in most cases I honestly wish most of them would find their death. And I then hate the game for making me hate my party. It's like P&P for people who don't have the actual imagination to play P&P. To me, it's the very essence of dumbing down.

And this goes against the grain of most people, because most people don't have active imaginations. Most people love being given characters because they need to be given something to emote to, because their brain can't self-emote. I know, arguing that real characters is dumbing down compared to not giving anyone characters is possibly bizzare to you, right... but that's how it is and that's the entire problem of modern gaming - it's trying to replace imagination with definite and better images in order to replace imagination, because it now needs to sell to the lowest common denominator, that huge group of people with no imagination.

Whether I'm right or wrong, it makes no difference, I have no choice to be in the minority here in never finishing BG2 but replaying IWD countless times, societal statistics mean that no matter what I say I will be out-voted. But that is how I feel. Cut the crap and give me more game and if you want to go full-story, then do it properly, like PS:T, don't give me forced emotions and horrendous party character idiosyncrasies.

Rake

Arcane
Betrayal at Krondor is the first one that popped in my head. A bit too clunky for me and a bit too reading focused. Those early 3D environments were pretty hard to look at. I tried, both at the time and much later on, but couldn't get into it.
Betrayal at Krondor is the only "old school" (pre Fallout) RPG that i really liked.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Betrayal at Krondor is the only "old school" (pre Fallout) RPG that i really liked.
:notsureifserious:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Drago is right, that issue is solved in DAI where you can't kill anyone that the devs do not want you to kill.
Old developers are so stupid to not realize the implication of murdering people would result in dead people.
This 'players-first' design can be seen when I approach a dangerous place and run dangerously low on healing potions, only to stumble upon a box full of potions to replenish my dwindling supply of consumables. Truly Bioware knows how to solve every player's dilemma in gaming.
:happytrollboy:
and they're :incloosive: which is something to be celebrated, but more importantly, conspicuously so.

DraQ

Arcane
Well I tried to like Planescape: Torment. I played it a few different times. The first time I quit early. The last time I played I invested more time. Yet I still only just got past the first part and had started exploring in that town. The thing which kept bothered me is there's so much dialogue. I was also afraid to kill anything because I didn't know what the implications would be, so I felt I had to talk to everybody. It felt more like a chore. I usually prefer rpg's which don't focus so heavily on dialogue, but I've had my fill of reading text since I first started playing games. I had some fun in Planescape: Torment, and I'll probably try to play it again someday.

This is why I want to get Icewind Dale as opposed to Baldur's Gate. I read Icewind Dale focuses more on combat. Still, I'd like to try BG too. Even though I know I don't like to talk too much, I HAVE enjoyed it at times. I guess it really depends how tactical the combat is. I get a real surge of pleasure when there're lots of details in combat to consider. That to me is most important. If a game can do the combat portion well enough, I can probably overlook lots of dialogues.

See, I'm not JUST a tactical or strategic gamer. I like RPGs. I like some dialogue and questing. I really like to have all of it. But I guess I want more of the tactical or strategical side of things. When trying to characterize gamers, we shouldn't stereotype too much or try to cast them as one thing or just a couple things. Games are similar. All games have some elements of others, some more than others. We live in a world with lots of color and diversity. It's something to celebrate.
Just play Wizardry 8 or something.

I was Jesus Denton, ghosting through like the holy ghost and never taking a life...

until the plot forces me to launch a ICBM at a military base :rage:
It's impossible to avoid nuclear combat in Deus Ex.

Discuss!!

Aothan

Magister
Morrowind, which happens to be one of two games I consider among the most enjoyable I've ever played (the other happens to be Wipeout and the Wipeout series, a futuristic racing game by way of contrast). I think highly of Morrowind in many ways, especially its open and explorable lore, and also thoroughly enjoyed the character design system, the ambience of the world, and even the mechanics of the day, but as with most games I'm not really compelled to take part in the 'main' story, let alone complete the same. In some eccentric sense this may well be a form of praise for why Morrowind was so endearing and sufficiently engaging to keep me playing for such an extended period.

I have also been playing playing DoW II for about four or more years but have never played the campaign past two missions at most (maybe one).

mondblut

Arcane
Pool of Radiance, Fate: Gates of Dawn, Dragon Wars, M&M7, Daggerfall, Darklands.

Also Morrowind and all the IE games besides PST, but the "refined taste" therein is subject to scrutiny :obviously:

Rake

Arcane
:notsureifserious:
I'm not actualy a "hardcore RPG Player". My First RPG was BG2, and i played Fallout for the first time about 3 years ago. I tried some of the older RPGs based on Codex sugestions mostly, and while i found them ok, only BaK would be in my personal Top 10.
keep in mind that i'm a storyfag, so combat centric games aren't my cup of tea. I can play them, but i won't love them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom