Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG of the Year 2014 Community Vote

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DOS...is larian crowning achievement.

It sure is. And this is the crown:

41blwh4qNWL.jpg

Cazzeris

That's because you're a shithead keen to dig up dirt on someone who's said something you don't like. Don't worry—that describes nearly all Codexers.

You're also cherry-picking. None of my other posts vis-à-vis Wasteland 2 "came to your mind," I've noticed. Before I was even halfway through WL2, I changed my tune in a big way (no coincidence, because that's around the time the flaws really start to become apparent and the overall quality suddenly turns into a rollercoaster). It's all right there in the thread.

Everyone's susceptible to what I like to call the honeymoon period. That quote of mine is evidence only of your selection bias.

In contrast, I played UnderRail for 150+ hours and still thought it was View attachment 4347, and wanted to play it a third time on the spot.

Dude, I didn't "dig up dirt" on what you said. I just remember that post and found this situation very strange since the game actually gets better in the second half in terms of world-building, quest design, area design, reactivity and C&C design. And I though you started hating the game weeks after finishing it, not through it. What you call "honeymoon" is bullshit in my book, specially in a game like WL2, that shows how cheap can be right at the start. Maybe you just take things too seriously, like in that comment where you talk about leaving the Codex.

Also, did you play an better RPG released this year (UnderRail doesn't count) that made you realise that there are games worthier of the RPGOTY title than WL2?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Also, did you play an better RPG released this year (UnderRail doesn't count) that made you realise that there are games worthier of the RPGOTY title than WL2?

Grimrock II, D:OS, and even Dragonfall are all superior candidates, although I'm not head-over-heels in love with any of them.

UnderRail is actually so good that it should be a candidate for RPGotY two years in a row, pre-release or no.

Stelcio

Savant
UnderRail is actually so good that it should be a candidate for RPGotY two years in a row, pre-release or no.

Ok, is this some sophisticated trolling here? Everybody loves Underrail and rightfully so, but it's not a 2014 game and that's it in this matter. It's not released, it's not finished and let's not award Styg dad of the year before the child is even delivered. You really want to get games that are half-way done? Have some selfrespect, man!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The only real herald of ITZ is when the RPG Codex wises the fuck up and stops wasting effort on a useless discussion as positively ancient as the forum itself.

Hey, I'm 27 years old. 12 years is a long time for me.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You can tell this thread has been invaded by Newfagistan when anyone actually takes Codex "X of the Year" banter even halfway-seriously.

The true winner, if measuring by Codexers' actual collective play time in 2014, would be Dragon Age: Inquisition. :troll:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
2014 was essentially a premature ejaculation punctuated by mid-coitus nervous farting.

Hopefully, this year and perhaps the next will produce results we can proud of, right after we all figuratively find new jobs out of state in a bid to escape the burning shame that would otherwise follow us forever.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2014 was essentially a premature ejaculation punctuated by mid-coitus nervous farting.

Hopefully, this year and perhaps the next will produce results we can proud of, right after we all figuratively find new jobs out of state in a bid to escape the burning shame that would otherwise follow us forever.
You should find another hobby.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You should find another hobby.

I did.

Fowyr
Arkadin

End of today's calligraphy practice, hands obviously getting fatigued by that point:

754d24b45e.png

I also tripled my Euro/German/incline Ameritrash board and card game collection and joined a local board and card gaming group called Tidewater Area Gaming Society.

I'm going out a lot more/traveling with friends and family, too. Fuck cRPGs. You have to wait 5 years for 1-2 good ones at this point, and then get into arguments with autistic basement-dwelling swamp creatures on the one remaining halfway-decent RPG discussion forum on the Internet.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dude, I didn't "dig up dirt" on what you said. I just remember that post and found this situation very strange since the game actually gets better in the second half in terms of world-building, quest design, area design, reactivity and C&C design. And I though you started hating the game weeks after finishing it, not through it. What you call "honeymoon" is bullshit in my book, specially in a game like WL2, that shows how cheap can be right at the start. Maybe you just take things too seriously, like in that comment where you talk about leaving the Codex.

Speaking of dirt digging, turns out I actually forgot something (!!!)

I'm going to remember this for later. :lol:

Let me get it out of the way now: ELL OH FUCKING ELL

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
But why? Why is it so wrong to cover Japanese RPGs or games occasionally? I mean, okay there can be more coverage of general RPGs, but I don't think its fair to exclude covering games simply because they are from another country.

What kind of man are you?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's okay to cover Japanese RPGs.

Just make sure they are covered with enough humiliation.

Konjad

Patron
A normal one.

The point is, excluding games because they are from another country is unfair. I guess you're trying to make some kind of joke or something, but I merely wanted games to be reviewed based on how good they are, not from which country they are from.
I think we should also exclude Canadian games. Oh wait, we're basically doing it too :yeah:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
A normal one.

The point is, excluding games because they are from another country is unfair. I guess you're trying to make some kind of joke or something, but I merely wanted games to be reviewed based on how good they are, not from which country they are from.
Codex isn't doing that. The only "exclusive" thing is availability on PC. You can talk about console shit as much as you want but in the "official" votings and reviews and so on, only games that are available on PC count.

Or did you miss how Valkyrie Chronicles made it in to the top 10?

Dev_Anj

Learned
Or did you miss how Valkyrie Chronicles made it in to the top 10?

I didn't, but I don't know much about Valkyrie Chronicles besides the facts that it is a Japanese RPG that apparently focuses more on strategy elements. I know there was a review of it here, but I'm not interested in the game so didn't bother reading the review.

I was just against the attitude that games should be excluded because they are from one country or the other, and not because people can't write interesting reviews or analyses about them, or that they aren't good. But whatever, all this is going off topic, so we would better discuss this elsewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom