Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG of the Year 2014 Community Vote

I'll these, "I'll leave if x wins" posts make me hope for a Wasteland 2/D:OS tie for first place.
It'd be like Codex chemo. :incline:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What if it's valkyria chronicles Blaine ?

Well, for one thing, it's not going to be Valkyria Chronicles.

For another (and it pains me to write this), Valkyria Chronicles' gameplay is superior to WL2's. Not so much the story, but then again, it seems inXile farmed about 1/3 of the story out to the building janitorial staff in order to save time. It's all over the place in quality and consistency.

I'll these, "I'll leave if x wins" posts make me hope for a Wasteland 2/D:OS tie for first place.
It'd be like Codex chemo. :incline:

2013 is a truly awful vintage. Even 2014 is better.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
D:OS is not a RPG

Many were left stunned by this statement.

EoCApp%202015-01-11%2016-46-58-12.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So where is the results so we can complain about first place.
That's not how it works here... people have been complaining since way before we even thought of doing a GOTY voting and will continuing doing so even years after we publish the results.

Cazzeris

If Wasteland 2 wins, I'm leaving for good. What would be the point of staying?

Not that there ever was one, mind you.

Every time I read you criticizing WL2, this post comes to my mind:

I feel that with further tweaks and any necessary bugfixing, some post-release additional features (traits would be nice, even if implemented three or six months from now), possibly an expansion that integrates new features, and mods and fan tweaks if the modding scene really gets going, WL2 could rate a 9/10 on the same scale the 8/10 folks are using.

I can understand that UnderRail has teached you the meaning of the true incline, but how can someone change his mind so drastically in so little time is beyond me. I mean, the game had to offer something to please you that much then (unless you have retarded tastes, though I don't think that's the case since you like UnderRail so much).

Is there any actual reason that made you hate the game after finishing it? Have you played other RPG released this year that you could consider vastly superior to WL2?

I must say that I can understand why would anyone dislike WL2, but it's still the RPGOTY in my book since it's the closest thing to a full old-school RPG experience released this year. That doesn't mean I think it is a great game, but I can appreciate what the game has to offer and find very extrange that you started hating it after loving it that much.

Stelcio

Savant
it's still the RPGOTY in my book since it's the closest thing to a full old-school RPG experience released this year.
That's a really weird way of choosing your GOTY, at least in times, where cRPGs really manage to do steps ahead "old-school" and actually push the genre forward, like Original Sin, NEO Scavenger, Heroes of a Broken Land, even Expeditons: Conquistador back in 2013, all these and some others have done. And that's, I think, the biggest problem with Wasteland 2 - it didn't surprise you with anything at all, it just rehashed the "old-school" correctly.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's a really weird way of choosing your GOTY, at least in times, where cRPGs really manage to do steps ahead "old-school" and actually push the genre forward, like Original Sin, NEO Scavenger, Heroes of a Broken Land, even Expeditons: Conquistador back in 2013, all these and some others have done. And that's, I think, the biggest problem with Wasteland 2 - it didn't surprise you with anything at all, it just rehashed the "old-school" correctly.

I'd actually agree with this. That's what was bothering me about W2 the most (plus the fact that "65 % to succeed/5 % to critically fail" in fact means 40 % to critically fail). I felt like if the game came out in 2000 I'd be all over it. Now tho - I did have fun but man there was just too much of the "been there done that" feeling.

Then again I was never an enourmous fan of isometric RPGs, always vastly prefered blobbers for some reason.

D:OS is not a RPG
But Borderlands is in the list, which reminds me;
Which is more of an RPG and why?
Borderlands vs D:OS:
You can build and level up your character, complete with a convenient respec for changing loadouts - both
Goofy but ultimately forgettable story/writing/and characters, very little c&c - both
Focused around super fun and engaging co-op experience - both
Lots of fun status effects and elements to play with - both
AWESOME RANDOMLY GENERATED LOOT - both
Customization through gear - both
Can change physical appearance at will - both
MANY CHEESES - D:OS
Overall F.U.N. game with brightly coloured cartoony artstyle. - both

If Borderlands is an RPG(Which it is, as indicated by this poll), then D:OS is an RPG and then some. :incline:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
By that logic Wasteland 2 is less of an RPG than Borderlands.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
But Borderlands is in the list, which reminds me;
Which is more of an RPG and why?
Borderlands vs D:OS:
You can build and level up your character, complete with a convenient respec for changing loadouts - both
Goofy but ultimately forgettable story/writing/and characters, very little c&c - both
Focused around super fun and engaging co-op experience - both
Lots of fun status effects and elements to play with - both
AWESOME RANDOMLY GENERATED LOOT - both
Customization through gear - both
Can change physical appearance at will - both
Overall F.U.N. game with brightly coloured cartoony artstyle. - both

Just about all of those also apply to Wasteland 2 except for the respec and co-op. And cartoony artstyle I guess because WL2 can challenge Fallout 3 when it comes to looking as brown and bland as you can get.

Wasteland 2 has been called into the mix, can it stand up in RPG elements?
You can build and level up your character, complete with a convenient respec for changing loadouts - You can create and level a squad of four, however they are set in stone. :(
Goofy but ultimately forgettable story/writing/and characters, very little c&c - I've encountered my fair share of goofyness, however the writing is generally considered good, and the game is heavy with c&c :(
Focused around super fun and engaging co-op experience - Unfortunately not. :(
Lots of fun status effects and elements to play with - No magicks or space magicks to be found here. :(
AWESOME RANDOMLYGENERATEDLOOT - Afraid not, the loot is often randomly generated, but it does not have the awesome super cool color rarity system, and the weapons and items are premade as opposed to generated with random stats.
Customization through gear - Customization is primarily through your starting build, which is quite static throughout the game I'm afraid.
Can change physical appearance at will - Only your clothes :(
MANY CHEESES - NO. :negative:
Overall F.U.N. game with brightly coloured cartoony artstyle. - Fun to some, bland to others, unfortunately Inxile didn't follow in the footsteps of the greats at Blizzard when it comes to art design.

According to these results, Wasteland 2 is not an RPG. :decline:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Every time I read you criticizing WL2, this post comes to my mind:

That's because you're a shithead keen to dig up dirt on someone who's said something you don't like. Don't worry—that describes nearly all Codexers.

You're also cherry-picking. None of my other posts vis-à-vis Wasteland 2 "came to your mind," I've noticed. Before I was even halfway through WL2, I changed my tune in a big way (no coincidence, because that's around the time the flaws really start to become apparent and the overall quality suddenly turns into a rollercoaster). It's all right there in the thread.

Everyone's susceptible to what I like to call the honeymoon period. That quote of mine is evidence only of your selection bias.

In contrast, I played UnderRail for 150+ hours and still thought it was
prestyge.png
, and wanted to play it a third time on the spot.

Mortmal

Arcane
If Wasteland 2 wins, I'm leaving for good. What would be the point of staying?

Not that there ever was one, mind you.

First i read about chancellor blaine supporting a woman for the empire throne in elite dangerous, i knew immediately something was very wrong with him. Now he threaten to leave the codex...Dont let mid life crisis take you down !

Although i understand the rage , D:OS is by far the best candidate for RPGOTY , i dont even have the slightest doubt,its not just a "good" game , some people cant see greatness even when you shove their face in a plate full of it. When i was playing it, i was thinking about it as a worthy heir of the ultima and probably even a better game than they ever were . My first few hours of that game i was almost crying of joy.

When i play wastelands i dont see it as a worthy fallout 1 or 2 worthy heir. All i remember is disapointement, a chore of repetitive shooting, jamming , untrapping , unlocking , the second part had half the quest and content broken, uninspired clearly running out of ideas , countless design flaws ,very rushed and amateurish .While D:OS means innovation, high interactivity and polishing , most fun fights i had ever in a rpg . It is larian crowning achievement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom