Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG of the year 2009

What is the best RPG of 2009?

• Cute Knight Kingdom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragon Age: Origins

• King's Bounty: Armored Princess

• Risen

• Torchlight

• Realms of Quest III

• Knights of the Chalice

• NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate

• Drakensang: The Dark Eye

• Hinterland: Orc Lords

• Borderlands

• Demigod

• Geneforge 5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Suchy

Arcane
Out of this lot I played Drakensang, Risen and DA.
Drakensang was crap.
Risen was good old G2 and I liked it a lot.
But in the end I voted DA because of its scope and lenght.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
aboyd said:
You know, if it really bugs Codex natives that DA is winning, it might be slightly comforting to note that the poll is almost self-selecting for DA.

if you look through the DA threads you ll see the "old guard"(posters who joined before 2006) mostly enjoying Dragon Age. the haters are mostly the offspring of those joined since the codex turned into the inofficial CDP and offical "we hate bioware & bethesda whatever they do" forum.

By that I mean, when presented with a list of stuff to vote for, people vote for the familiar, so popular shit remains popular shit. But just because McDonald's sells the most doesn't mean it's the best.

and just because McDonalds mostly sells mainstream shit doesnt change that certain stuff there can still taste pretty fine and that the oh so elite food might often be little more than overhyped (by a niche) drek.

If we had a poll where we rated the quality of the games on a 5-star basis, it's possible that KotC would get a dozen 4 or 5 star ratings, which might handily trounce DA's 200 3 star ratings.

if we had another witcher patch in the poll, KOTC wouldnt have gotten more than 2-3 votes - its the "look at how codex i am" option.

The poll as it currently stands allows a majority of people who are only familiar with a game that is "pretty OK" to overrun a minority of people who have experienced a game that is amazing.

except KOTC isnt amazing, everything about it apart from half-way decent combat is mediocre or utter shit and most importantly if you are truly gifted with the trait of "immunity to shit graphics" you would be using that gift to play the fuck out of the 30~ truly oldschool cRPGs that look just as terrible if not even better but have 10times the gameplay.
wasting such a gift on 08/15 drivel like KOTC just because its indie is an insult to anyone who doesnt have said gift - i know i would be done with games for the rest of my life if graphics werent an issue because there s fuckton of amazing games i could replay over and over and never get bored. Star Trail, Wizardries, Dark Sun, Darklands etc. etc., how many of the KOTC voters ever played those games ? but yeah, when your favourite cRPG is the witcher, i can see how seeing remotely decent combat (as long as its not from evil bioware ) gets your panties all wet.

So take heart. The disappointing results here may simply be a flaw of the poll itself.

dont see the results as disappointing. any codexer whose opinion is worth jackshit was pleasantly suprised by DA even though nobody went as far as claiming it the best game ever..... the rest is the meme-morons who simply want to show their hardcore, oldschool attitude ignoring that most of them were still pissing their pants during the golden age of cRPGs , know them only from hearsay & GoG and cant even tell apart an action-adventure from a proper cRPG.

there might be a few exceptions like skyway of which i still dont know whether he s just a good troll or someone with way too high standards for his own good, but at least when that dude rips DA a new one he comes fresh from playing star trail, not shit like SoZ or the witcher (which is a decent game overall but utter shit as RPG).

1eyedking

Erudite
Jaesun said:
Dragon Age.

ENCHANTMENT!
Hurr durr, random humor is funneh!

This reminded me of the recent newfag Simpsons dumbfuckery:

Coach_krupt_the_simpsons.jpg

BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT! BOMBARDMENT!

LOL SO RANDUM ^_~

1eyedking

Erudite
ricolikesrice said:
if you look through the DA threads you ll see the "old guard"(posters who joined before 2006) mostly enjoying Dragon Age. the haters are mostly the offspring of those joined since the codex turned into the inofficial CDP and offical "we hate bioware & bethesda whatever they do" forum.
You try too hard, ad populums don't make for good arguments, particularly when the ranks of "the old guard" also includes patented dumbfucks such as Volourn, Sheek, Trash, and others.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ricolikesrice said:
except KOTC isnt amazing, everything about it apart from half-way decent combat is mediocre or utter shit and most importantly if you are truly gifted with the trait of "immunity to shit graphics" you would be using that gift to play the fuck out of the 30~ truly oldschool cRPGs that look just as terrible if not even better but have 10times the gameplay.
wasting such a gift on 08/15 drivel like KOTC just because its indie is an insult to anyone who doesnt have said gift - i know i would be done with games for the rest of my life if graphics werent an issue because there s fuckton of amazing games i could replay over and over and never get bored. Star Trail, Wizardries, Dark Sun, Darklands etc. etc., how many of the KOTC voters ever played those games ? but yeah, when your favourite cRPG is the witcher, i can see how seeing remotely decent combat (as long as its not from evil bioware ) gets your panties all wet.

There are so many things wrong about this paragraph it's not even funny.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
1eyedking said:
You try too hard

...said he who spent his last week doing nothing but finding every little flaw there is in DA in his mighty crusade against the evil vault dweller, who unfortunately ignored your precious witcher (maybe cause while a decent game otherwise, it hardly qualifies as cRPG for us non-storyfags) when he said DA is the best cRPG since arcanum. :lol:

btw i m not sure about volourn but trash & sheek got their dumbfuck tags for GD so i m not sure what kind of moron one has to be to think that this invalidates their opinions on games (btw sheek has damn good tastes in gaming, trash not so much imho but he is a pretty decent poster even when you disagree with him ). and to mr. roofles there s a bit more than just being the codex resident bioware fanboy, cant say the same about your kind of blind fanboyism & hatred that unfortunately unlike volourn is legion since oct. 26, 2007.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Suchy said:
Out of this lot I played Drakensang, Risen and DA.
Drakensang was crap.
Risen was good old G2 and I liked it a lot.
But in the end I voted DA because of its scope and lenght.
Size matters :smug:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
A lot of titles, not much to choose from:

Borderlands - shit
Torchlight - shit
Drakensang - mediocre
Hinterlands - mediocre
Geneforge 5 - pretty good, the best Geneforge game, in my opinion.
Knights of the Chalice - the best TB crawler since ToEE. Possibly even better than ToEE.
Mysteries of Westgate - pretty good and clever module, but it's not a GotY material.
King's Bounty - mediocre, possibly shit (undecided)
Risen - pretty good, Chapter 1 - brilliant, "game" of the year, overall it falls short. The latter chapters are dumb hack-n-slash. It's still a pretty good game, but...
Dragon Age - far from perfect, but very enjoyable and has plenty of role-playing options. Tactical combat doesn't hurt either.

Blackadder said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Jim Cojones said:
Zeus said:
More Dragon Age: Origins than Knights of the Chalice?

Really?

Codex, you surprise me. :?

SPOILER: RPGs are not about combat.

Shocking huh? You're welcome to cover your ears and go back to "roleplaying" Wizardry.

Go and read a 'Choose your own adventure' you faggot. Combat is definately what RPG's have been about since their inception. Not running about thinking you are an elf whore romancing an orc barbarian, even more so in a single player RPG on a computer!

At the end of the day, in spite of all the rhetoric, most of the people around these forums just like graphics, elf/insert species tits, and really getting into the 'story'. Next Gen Codex for RPG of the year!

Edit: My apologies; Choose your own adventure books actually have multiple consequences for your choices. It may be too much for you in comparison to the current crop of AAA CRPG's and their 'choices'.

Then why call them role playing games

just call them CG, combat games, where you play the role of Master Chief, the barbarian

or FAG: Fierce Adventure Games

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Vault Dweller said:
A lot of titles, not much to choose from:

Borderlands - shit
Torchlight - shit
Drakensang - mediocre
Hinterlands - mediocre
Geneforge 5 - pretty good, the best Geneforge game, in my opinion.
Knights of the Chalice - the best TB crawler since ToEE. Possibly even better than ToEE.
Mysteries of Westgate - pretty good and clever module, but it's not a GotY material.
King's Bounty - mediocre, possibly shit (undecided)
Risen - pretty good, Chapter 1 - brilliant, "game" of the year, overall it falls short. The latter chapters are dumb hack-n-slash. It's still a pretty good game, but...
Dragon Age - far from perfect, but very enjoyable and has plenty of role-playing options. Tactical combat doesn't hurt either.

That list lost you some cool points in my book, not that you should care shit about that. Risen brilliant? Drakensang mediocre? Compared to Drakensang Torchlight is fucking brilliancy.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Risen is better than DA, and I'm sure about that even though I didn't play the latter :smug:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
Risen is better than DA, and I'm sure about that even though I didn't play the latter :smug:

You're as full of shit brilliancy as Drakensang, that's for sure :smug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Then I guess I'll vote for Drakensang as RPGOTY, because it sounds really promising :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom