Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Islands of the Caliph

Alex

Arcane
(...) The defining characteristic of a blobber is that you have multiple characters fused into a blob that moves together. Nothing else applies here, and if you would argue otherwise, then you'd be wrong.

You can, of course, define words however you want. But when we are talking about games, a game's "type" is defined by its gameplay. So, for instance, genres such as "adventure", "platformer" or "strategy" are defined by specific aspects of the gameplay. A platformer involves making well timed jumps, exploring a stage and avoiding or defeating enemies, etc. Rather than genres, we might have certain words that describe some important feature that cuts across various aspects of the game as well. For instance, while a game being "multiplayer" says nothing about its gameplay; it does indicate that various aspects of the game will be geared towards supporting multiplayer. Other such words could be "story heavy" or "story driven", "sandbox", etc. I have argued that RPG falls in this category of words, not defining a gameplay genre by itself.

Anyway, my point is that if the definition of a blobber is about whether you have many people in your party which you control as a single person or not, then it doesn't really tell you much at all about the game, either as a genre or as a whole. I mean, there being multiple people in your party is usually significant for gameplay, but technically you could have the same gameplay with just one person who can take multiple moves. As such, I think it is more appropriate to use blobber to define a specific type of gameplay...

Is Ultima Underworld a blobber? Is Daggerfall? (...)

Again, define words how you want. But I think the best use for the word "blobber" would be to describe games where you have combat and exploration reminiscent of how D&D used to be played. In particular, exploration should rely on player made maps (just like there used to be a player that was responsible for mapping the dungeon) and combat be similar as well (turn based combat works well here, but I wouldn't put it as a requirement, action combat of real time blobbers though would be right out).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You can, of course, define words however you want.

And it's exactly what you're doing here, which is why I'll disregard the remainder of your post because it's honestly just straight up wrong, with the only exception being this:

I mean, there being multiple people in your party is usually significant for gameplay, but technically you could have the same gameplay with just one person who can take multiple moves.

I could see a 'blobber' type RPG where you control some kind of mecha or multi-headed dick that has separate actions for each limb. However, this game is not it either.

Alex

Arcane
(...)

I could see a 'blobber' type RPG where you control some kind of mecha or multi-headed dick that has separate actions for each limb. However, this game is not it either.

I wasn't arguing specifically about this game. I mean, if you follow my preferred definition for "blobber", it wouldn't apply to it either. But for different reasons.

Alex

Arcane
Nothing wrong with saying "grid-based dungeon crawler".

Darth Roxor said:
IotC describes itself as a “dungeon crawler”, so you can expect to explore a lot. Indeed, exploration is this game’s most prominent and best part by far, though calling it a “dungeon crawler” per se is a bit of a stretch. That’s because it doesn’t really have that many big dungeons, and you’ll be spending about as much time prowling the countryside as the underground.

jackofshadows

Magister
As far as technical matters are concerned, the game’s presentation is definitely its strong point. The graphics are very appealing and eye-catching
:nocountryforshitposters:
I mean I might give the game a shot at some point but despite that eye-fuckery.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

IMG_1695.gif

IMG_1697.gif

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
The defining characteristic of a blobber is that you have multiple characters fused into a blob that moves together.

No. The defining characteristic of a blobber is that it looks and plays like Wizardry or Dungeon Master. If it only got a single "attack" button instead of 4 or 6, that's lamentable but not terribly crucial.

Dungeon Hack or Anvil of Dawn are more of a blobber than any attempt to marry a blobber with multiple characters with gridless movement.

mondblut

Arcane
Will real world politics sour people on buying or playing any Arabian game. Bad timing? Eh, dun care. I still play games in this theme from Prince of Persia, Sword of Kadash, to Al-Qadim etc.

Having to whip out a prayer rug in the middle of combat five times a day sounds pretty fucking annoying. Do we have to also figure out the right direction to face?

Alex

Arcane
Will real world politics sour people on buying or playing any Arabian game. Bad timing? Eh, dun care. I still play games in this theme from Prince of Persia, Sword of Kadash, to Al-Qadim etc.

Having to whip out a prayer rug in the middle of combat five times a day sounds pretty fucking annoying. Do we have to also figure out the right direction to face?

What if you are at exactly 45º from Mecca? Do turning to either direction count? Do neither? This can be a real problem with games where you can only turn 90º at a time.

Mauman

Learned
5 bucks says this game would get 10x the blowback if the religion in question getting a blowjob was Christianity rather than Islam.

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
5 bucks says this game would get 10x the blowback if the religion in question getting a blowjob was Christianity rather than Islam.
It would probably seem more generic because Christianity is so integrated into modern western fantasy, with most RPGs having Clerics and Paladins using Holy spells and the Church being an entity in the game (even if it's not Christianity specifically).

Mauman

Learned
It would probably seem more generic because Christianity is so integrated into modern western fantasy, with most RPGs having Clerics and Paladins using Holy spells and the Church being an entity in the game (even if it's not Christianity specifically).
If "generic" resulted in more games like Darklands, then sign me the fuck up :/

mondblut

Arcane
If "generic" resulted in more games like Darklands, then sign me the fuck up :/

Darklands was great, but having to kowtow to every asshole priest or losing all your not-mana was not exactly the high point of its design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom