Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Invades Steam

Gozma

Arcane
Best thing about Neo Scavenger is that it feels post-apocalyptic but in the gameworld no discrete apocalypse ever happened AFAIK and it's just the Detroit area getting progressively shittier and more filled with ghosts

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Too bad there are so many DOS era games missing on Steam. You can split hairs in four and discuss if Dark Souls should be on the list, but the lack of such titles as Ultima Underworld and many others classics. Seems to me Gog is a better platform for such feature. Still, Valve doesn't need to do anything but it will probably boost in lower or higher percentage the sales without doing anything.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Best thing about Neo Scavenger is that it feels post-apocalyptic but in the gameworld no discrete apocalypse ever happened AFAIK and it's just the Detroit area getting progressively shittier and more filled with ghosts

So it is a present day Detroit simulator?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
We might as well put CoD and AC on the list ... I am pretty sure the things that qualify as being a RPG end up open to debate, heck like Mass Effect.

I still dont get why the Amazon Princess is not on the list, its a RPG with at least a mutually exclusive path, you even get a option of what gender and what class you play as ... it have more of a RPG that dark Souls.

Because they are all shit games we don't want to recommend to anyone? This is also why we recommend Alpha Protocol, but not Mass Effect. As a matter of fact, we're one of two curators visible on AP's store page, along with Bro Team amusingly enough.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Too bad there are so many DOS era games missing on Steam. You can split hairs in four and discuss if Dark Souls should be on the list, but the lack of such titles as Ultima Underworld and many others classics. Seems to me Gog is a better platform for such feature. Still, Valve doesn't need to do anything but it will probably boost in lower or higher percentage the sales without doing anything.
Gog does have a "list of good games" feature.

It should be colonized by the management.

Drakron

Arcane
Because they are all shit games we don't want to recommend to anyone?

Yet Alpha Protocol is on that list, I would not recommend a Mass Effect clone either.

I could point out whats wrong, sure it have good things on it but plenty of bad things as well ... Mass Effect as much people want to complain about its both a design and technically sound game, even Mass Effect 2 is except I cannot in good faith call it a RPG.

I pointed those deliberate, if you have some kind of "leveling" mechanic it can be called a RPG, we have the conversation of "what is a RPG?" many times, especially back when RPGs were all the rage and marketing tried to slap it on any game that come close to being labeled as such on technicalities.

This is also why we recommend Alpha Protocol, but not Mass Effect. As a matter of fact, we're one of two curators visible on AP's store page, along with Bro Team amusingly enough.

No, the reason why is that are too many Obsidian fanboys on this site and too much BioWare hate ... Mass Effect is a fine game, Alpha Protocol is not, back on release we had many discussions about it with the fanboys trying to defend it as some kind of "unpolished gem" were the technical problems were just some of the issues of Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect suffered from being shat on because it was a BioWare game, as much BioWare certainly earned it doesnt change that Mass Effect is more worth playing that Alpha Protocol.

This isnt amusing enough, its just showing the blatant favoritism Obsidian gets on the Codex were they released THAT mess and its recommended because Obsidian.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Because they are all shit games we don't want to recommend to anyone?

Yet Alpha Protocol is on that list, I would not recommend a Mass Effect clone either.

I could point out whats wrong, sure it have good things on it but plenty of bad things as well ... Mass Effect as much people want to complain about its both a design and technically sound game, even Mass Effect 2 is except I cannot in good faith call it a RPG.

I pointed those deliberate, if you have some kind of "leveling" mechanic it can be called a RPG, we have the conversation of "what is a RPG?" many times, especially back when RPGs were all the rage and marketing tried to slap it on any game that come close to being labeled as such on technicalities.

This is also why we recommend Alpha Protocol, but not Mass Effect. As a matter of fact, we're one of two curators visible on AP's store page, along with Bro Team amusingly enough.

No, the reason why is that are too many Obsidian fanboys on this site and too much BioWare hate ... Mass Effect is a fine game, Alpha Protocol is not, back on release we had many discussions about it with the fanboys trying to defend it as some kind of "unpolished gem" were the technical problems were just some of the issues of Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect suffered from being shat on because it was a BioWare game, as much BioWare certainly earned it doesnt change that Mass Effect is more worth playing that Alpha Protocol.

This isnt amusing enough, its just showing the blatant favoritism Obsidian gets on the Codex were they released THAT mess and its recommended because Obsidian.

You won't get an argument from me about AP, as I haven't played it. People who like it say that it has a lot of well realized C&C and reactivity, and presumably it got on our Top70 list through these qualities (or maybe through Obsidian fanboyism). I have tried playing Mass Effect twice, and found it so painfully banalshitboring that I couldn't force myself to continue, and so I am against putting it on any list officially enforsed by the Codex.

To put it simply, though, you're sharing this forum with people who voted for AP and Dark Souls as their favourite RPGs. And so these games appear on the Steam recommended list. People like RPGs for different reasons. Some care about C&C and reactivity a lot, and they like AP because of it. Others like a sense of nonlinear exploration in a dangerous world with slow-paced melee combat, and like Dark Souls because of it, just like they liked Gothic. If this deeply bothers you, maybe you should look for a different forum that would represent your tastes better? This isn't a "GTFO if you don't like it", it's just that I don't really get what you expect to happen. Codexers at large have voted DS their 14th favourite RPG, but it cannot be on the list because Drakron personally disagrees?

FYI, I actually do agree that DS doesn't fit on the list, and said so in that thread as well; what is and isn't on the list doesn't bother me that much though, so long as it's not banal shit boring crap.

Drakron

Arcane
you're sharing this forum with people who voted for AP and Dark Souls as their favourite RPGs.

Sure and this is why I put Amazon Princess on the list, I am sure some people would like it as well ... and in a total serious way, Mass Effect, whatever one might think of BioWare.

I know this will sound a bit crazy but maybe AP is recommended because people like it and there's no conspiracy to favor some games in place of others

And maybe some people should get some fucking taste.

Whatever you might think of the game it was terrible, on load of a save it make enemies on the level to disapear ... it was what became known as a Obsidian game, a technical mess and by the look of things it never really had a very problematic development ... you want for me to pull this article?

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/14001...ute-failure-of-production-says-anonymous-dev/

Because I just did.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Jesus, did you had to bring that tread up?

Fallout used GRUPS without ever saying that, GRUPS is a ... well its a established system even at that point and Fallout had good combat, it had terrible bad companion AI but its like relegating the entire system to the AI scripts, I suppose most people dumped companions and solo it, considering the game wasnt even attempting at being a party-based RPG that wasnt a problem, you could sure but wasnt really designed around it.

I say again, sure you can take NPCs as "party members" but you can also type by hitting your head on the keyboard ... just because you can, doesnt mean you should, mechanically there is nothing wrong with Fallout combat unless you are one of those balance faggots that believe a M-16 and a sling should be "balanced and equal useful" as fallout did tier weapons are armor so some stuff got obsolete, part control just sucked for many reasons (AI scripts, UI mainly) but you never at a point were you need a party member.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Q25eBOk.png

Such recommended, so prestigious.

I see you added dark souls 2. I am disappoint.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
"Offers more content than Dark Souls while being somewhat streamlined & less tight. Still a great game though, with the DLC creating a memorable endgame."

What is this shit doing on here?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The reception to Banner Saga on the Codex was decent, but also brief - it seems it was quickly forgotten. It's a shame that we never got around to reviewing it - that would have helped to solidify and clarify the "Codex consensus".

If anybody wants to volunteer, it's never too late.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom