Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Banner Saga

Ninjerk

Arcane
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the color-coded decision-wheel is the one that started the break between dialogue choice and what the character actually says.

oscar

Arcane
I actually found the combat a lot of fun. There was a nice variety of classes to experiment with and I approve of the strength system, making a nice change from virtually every other RPG/strategy where a warrior on the verge of death is just as deadly as he was at peak condition.

There's also some nice opportunity cost decisions of going for armour or strength. Heavy-hitters like Hakon you always choose strength attacks for but for the weaker guys chipping away at enemy armour sets things up well for your brutes to one-hit the enemy. There's also items that make armour attacks very worthwhile.

m_s0

Arcane
like not being able to tell what the fuck is going to happen upon choosing a particular option during events

:hmmm:

Maybe a colour-coded decision-wheel is more your speed.
My point is, this game looks like it's written with a decision wheel in mind a la Ass Effect, but they forgot to put the decision wheel in. Also, go fuck yourself.

What? The writing is excellent. Really felt like a world that is sliding into the abbyss with the inevitable breakdown of society, standards and morals that will happen along the way.
The idea for the story is good, the concept for the setting is fine. The execution (the way it's written) is fucking abysmal.

And people wanting to see what effects their choices will have beforehand? Please get off my lawn codex. Loved to see how some of the things I did way earlier either helped me or, more typically, came back to bite me way later.

I'm talking about understanding the choice you're going for - the intention - and if the options don't convey that the writer has fucked up. The way it's sometimes handled in TBS you could just as well have these options labeled 1, 2, 3 and it wouldn't have made a difference a lot of the time. This is one of my gripes with the writing.
Trash See, this is what you get when a bunch of RPG fans enter the Tacticular Cancer forums :smug:
If The Banner Saga was just about the combat (and it isn't) it would've been a good game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I agree with some of the criticism even if I liked the game a lot, but I really, really don't get the bitching about non-transparant choices. What I liked most about the game was that the choices really felt KoDP-like to me, in the way that you're given just enough info to make a somewhat informed choice, but not enough that choices won't have unforseen consequences.

The game went for evoking the "true leadership's hard, son"-vibe, and like in KoDP, I really got that sense.

In fact, I only remember one consequence being a straight up ass-pull, and that's pretty impressive.

Tigranes

Arcane
So I restarted, and intend this to be my last playthrough, making the game good for, I don't know, 1.7, 1.8 playthroughs? Similar to E:C. I feel like I'm close to 'cracking' the combat system, you can use Egil to have 4 grunts surround him and waste attacks, you have Oddleif start combat and use the trap ability to lure one person in, then start banging. You pump armour break on the archers to soften enemies letting the likes of Hakon or Iver one-hit them; etc., etc., etc. In Chapter 3 now and some fights on Hard have become almost leisurely.

That's not a criticism because combined with a couple hours on Factions that's a lot of enjoyment for a $15 backing tier. But the story/writing/reactiivty certainly isn't diverse enough for more than 1 playthrough, neither is there much variation on combat or character development, so it was never going to have much replayabilty. But hey, it's fun while it lasts.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just finished it on normal and here are my impressions:
1. enemies lack variety, there is like 7 types of them and you meet 3 types most often, huge letdown considering how much combat is there,
2. story is ok, I really liked the collapse of civilization vibe, fight for survival etc,
3. writing is ok, nothing superb but it serves its purpose,
4. I liked graphics,
5. I liked c&c, didnt have problems with choices that I didnt know what they meant

Overall I'd call it a simplified KoDP that gets grindy. Definitely looking forward for the next part.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Okay, so I finished the game today and somehow I'm feeling like writing a big post about it.

Of course, the first thing to be mentioned is stunning visual art style, definitely an eye candy. I believe this is one of the things for what the game will be remembered.

About the music/sound. The music is decent, but totally unmemorable. Also I'd love to hear voice acting in the dialogues, because the game focuses on characters and giving them voices will surely make them more memorable. Also the dialogues sound awkward, because they are not voice-overed and when the characters talk the music stops playing and it's just silence.

The other thing I liked was the thick atmosphere of inevitable war, death, suffering etc. It's performed mostly in Rook's branch (because Varls just lead their caravan and kick dredge butt): starving people, who had lost their homes, low food, low morale.

The battle system can be arguable but still enjoyable, though health being the same as strength and vice versa can be confusing at times. The battles really sometimes feel like chess. The unit positioning seem to play a huge role.

The overall gameplay reminded me of Expeditions: Conquistador - food management, text quests/events on the map. The most confusing thing is EXP being the same resource to level up characters, buy food for people and buy items for characters. On Rook's side I tried to spend it for food and ended up some low leveled characters AND still hungry/dying caravan, because there were a lot of events about supplies being stolen/lost/etc. I believe Rook's way should be this way to make the right atmosphere, so it was more efficient to spend Reknown on leveling up. A lot was said about broken c&c and I totally agree: there is no way you can predict an outcome of your choice, for example sometimes the question to clear up the situation can just end up the event. Also a lot of people says that the combat becomes tedious, but I didn't notice that, because the game took me only 11 hours to complete. I hope Stoic will make it to the sequel and get all the feedback about the letdowns of the entire game.

My score is :4/5:

Some spoilers about final battle/ending
The final battle was frustrating for me and I had to lower the difficulty to easy to beat it. Seemed that I was in a situation when my party didn't have the right skills/characters/items to fit for this battle, I didn't like it, though I made it in the end.
The ending is a huge cliffhanger, a lot of stuff remains unexplained.
About the death of one of the main characters - I believe it was not really necessary and it was made only for more drama. Though the game was so full of deaths that I ended up not paying attention to them.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So far it sounds like Tales of Illyria with more C&C and possibly better combat. And graphics.

Stompa

Arcane
Final battle is really easy if you use all available archers + some big guy. Even better if you didn't lose Yrsa like a dumbfuck.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The combat is challenging, but somewhat immersion breaking because it is really abstract to the point of cheesiness :
I really dislike the alternative movement rule for this purpose, as it encourages you to leave weakened opponents alive on purpose, and then to try to finish them all in one action each (or even better, to kill several at the same time).
Armor vs HP damage is good in theory, but it usually comes down to calculating how many blows you will land before an opponent's next turn in order to tell wether to use armor or health damage(I mean, you can directly count the damage in each situation).
The choices usually feel arbitrary, like in a gamebook, but that's not an issue is the purpose is not to give the player strategic options.
Overall, it is a solid title, even though these elements make it feel a bit clunky (as for Expedition Conquistador, which was good, but threw at your face the small details making it short of great).

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Final battle is really easy if you use all available archers + some big guy. Even better if you didn't lose Yrsa like a dumbfuck.

The final battle is easy once you understand what you are supposed to do ie bumrush the boss. If you try to approach this battle like any other you are gonna lose.

And yes, initiative system is fucking retarded. They should add a new stat for that. Leaving weakened enemies alive so that stronger ones dont get to act twice is a stupid design.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, I lost the final battle the first time I tried it because I tried to take out all the smaller dredge before focusing on Bellower, which meant by the time only Bellower was left I couldn't get his armor down with my remaining units to fire the arrow, because he would just regenerate all his armor after I took it down in my turn.

Second time I focused everyone on Bellower and shot him with the arrow after his first turn.

crakkie

Arcane
Oh those sneaky heraldry designers.

MAfdyKP.jpg

Joten

Novice
Just finished it. Found the combat fun, but too easy (played on normal though). The only fight that I kinda struggled with was the last, and even that one just took me a couple of tries, because like the poster above I tried too take out all the small dredge at first.
Otherwise; real beautiful artwork, som minor C&C. Good enough characters. Overall, a pretty good game. :smug: :4/5:
If they manage to get enough money for the sequel(s?), I might have some Jewish gold to spare. :takemyjewgold:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Maybe we'll get some romance in the sequel. I felt that was really missing here.

:troll:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe we'll get some romance in the sequel. I felt that was really missing here.

:troll:

The only kind of romance the Banner Saga might have is that the people may start grumbling their new chief or king needs a wife. Being the leader in a close knit tribal society is known to invite that sort of attention. Then you'll either agree (Morale boost) or stomp it out (Morale decline).

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Has there been any word about if we do have to keep our save files or they'll just scrap the events of the first game for the next one?

oscar

Arcane
Would't development time and plot lines eventually spiral out of control having to deal with all the events and optional deaths that occurred in previous chapters?

e.g having to write events and dialogue for characters that very well may have died 3 chapters ago for the majority of players

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom