Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2022: Results & Cool Graphs

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
I will tell you what I don't like on this (and some of the recent past) RPG Codex GOTY list... I come here like many other grumpy old fucks to spot, discover and discuss about what is not discussed and spotted from other media, especially mainstream.

Now... When we're discussing RPG GOTY and I see games that are not pure CRPGs (I'm not against with hybrids but hear me out) it feels like if we put a good action game with some, just some, elements that are considered CRPG elements and that production just so happens to be pretty good, then it looks like the game will be top 3 or even the best "CRPG" of the year.

Well, that's what mainstream bozos are doing basically and that's what we're trying to avoid. Mainstream is good for unknown titles to get some shine (hi Disco Elysium), for the rest, I really don't give a flying fuck. It doesn't matter to me if Elder Ring or God of War: Ragnarok (which I love) is no1 here, there's no actual value.

Cheers.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Was the year really so lousy game-wise? Nothing better than this mediocrity? :negative:
The only year I can remember where the title for rpgoty was hotly contested by two generally well liked games was when it was Aod vs Underrail.

Every year besides that it's been a walkover win for the only half-decent release (or worse).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I will tell you what I don't like on this (and some of the recent past) RPG Codex GOTY list... I come here like many other grumpy old fucks to spot, discover and discuss about what is not discussed and spotted from other media, especially mainstream.

Now... When we're discussing RPG GOTY and I see games that are not pure CRPGs (I'm not against with hybrids but hear me out) it feels like if we put a good action game with some, just some, elements that are considered CRPG elements and that production just so happens to be pretty good, then it looks like the game will be top 3 or even the best "CRPG" of the year.

Well, that's what mainstream bozos are doing basically and that's what we're trying to avoid. Mainstream is good for unknown titles to get some shine (hi Disco Elysium), for the rest, I really don't give a flying fuck. It doesn't matter to me if Elder Ring or God of War: Ragnarok (which I love) is no1 here, there's no actual value.

Cheers.
I somewhat agree, but then, games that aren't "RPG enough" should never even enter the list at all and this would include things like VTMB, Gothic, Witcher, etc.

EDIT: I should add, consider what such a poll would actually look like. Probably JRPGs, mostly. Solasta: Lost Valley campaign, KotC2. Uh... that Potato Flowers game... If you remove JRPGs too like used to happen, now you have a poll of say less than 5 games most years. Possibly only one or two that might not even be all that good.

Progress?

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
I somewhat agree, but then, games that aren't "RPG enough" should never even enter the list at all and this would include things like VTMB, Gothic, Witcher, etc.

Ok you're right but many of these games are considered RPGs. Gothic is a CRPG. Elder Ring widens up the shit way too much. You need to draw a line somewhere. Also Elder Ring is *not* a CRPG first.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I come here like many other grumpy old fucks

Jesus christ the stupidity here sometimes... How's that relevant ? How is the registered account related to my quote ? What are you even implying ? Fuck it...

This site has been around for almost 20 years but all those old-school RPGamers suddenly discovering it in the last couple years, damn hilarious

Oh, wait, your story is you actually lurked for those 20 years, right

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
This site has been around for almost 20 years but all those old-school RPGamers suddenly discovering it in the last couple years, damn hilarious

Oh, wait, your story is you actually lurked for those 20 years, right

My man, even if I tell you the real story you will stick to your retarded one. Your comment still doesn't make ANY sense at all.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
EDIT: I should add, consider what such a poll would actually look like. Probably JRPGs, mostly. Solasta: Lost Valley campaign, KotC2. Uh... that Potato Flowers game... If you remove JRPGs too like used to happen, now you have a poll of say less than 5 games most years. Possibly only one or two that might not even be all that good.
Honestly, although I don't like the new era of JRPGs I don't mind. They are RPG first but if we start putting on the list things like Horizon, GoW, Elden Ring, etc., etc., we're loosing focus.

It's like going to Geoff Keighley and ask him what is the best CRPG of the year.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Honestly, although I don't like the new era of JRPGs I don't mind. They are RPG first but if we start putting on the list things like Horizon, GoW, Elden Ring, etc., etc., we're loosing focus.

It's like going to Geoff Keighley and ask him what is the best CRPG of the year.
Maybe. People bitch to the high heavens about stuff like VtMB too, which I can see the argument for. Personally Imo as soon as you start dumping hybrids, which I'm fine with, I think you need to take a shit on games like Gothic too. Anyway just saying.

Shin

Cipher

...Elden Ring? Just like the rpgcodex?

buffalo bill

Arcane
The more powerful computers we have at our disposal could've been used to make all sorts of really cool simulationist and crunchy RPG systems. Instead, we got "realistic" graphics, bloom, and particle effects, while making sure the RPG systems could be processed by a TI-85.
100% !!
My dream-RPG would be something like a single-player game in Ultima 6/7 graphics in which one started as a low peasant. And said peasant could spend the rest of his life planting cabbages and wheat or instead go on a life of adventure and rise to be a king or even rule an empire. Meanwhile the character would be able to start a family, have kids (his kids would inherit his genetic traits and some of his stats) and would continue the game after the original character died. Meanwhile the open game world would evolve and have its own dynamic (generate orc invasions, zombie plagues, conspiracies from other kingdoms, plagues, etc etc) and the game would give the option to raise armies and wage war or manage the kingdom like a city-builder.

Thus: imagine a mix between Ultima 7 + Crusader Kings + Total War.
Kinda sounds like Cataclysm:DDA, except as far as I know C:DDA has no romances.
Yes. That's the kind of stuff I mean. Unfortunately, stuff like Cataclysm (maybe also Caves of Qud a bit?) and others still remain mostly niche experiences. Maybe the new success of Dwarf Fortress on its steam release will encourage devs to try new paths.
yeah I was going to say Caves of Qud also, but the codex gets upset when that game gets mentioned because they don't like the politics of the devs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
yeah I was going to say Caves of Qud also, but the codex gets upset when that game gets mentioned because they don't like the politics of the devs.
Well the game content itself is proudly pozzed.

"Caves of Qud devs are pozzed but the game is good and easy to pirate"

I think that if you use HIV status as a slur we can do without your bigot bucks. Enjoy all the Jewish folklore, queer themes, and leftist values we put in the art you're mooching

I don't think that mocking people based on elevated fatality rates is a thing you can do if you are a decent person. That is an evil thing to do. That's bully culture and it's craven. Pathetic.

but no we should definitely be obligated to host a Discord for these people. Fantastic idea.

this is inspired in part by me tripping over the RPGCodex thread about Caves of Qud, which is a real shitshow of reactionary garbage and has been talking shit (and spreading lies!) about the dev team for literal years lol

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
this is inspired in part by me tripping over the RPGCodex thread about Caves of Qud, which is a real shitshow of reactionary garbage and has been talking shit (and spreading lies!) about the dev team for literal years lol

That thread is literally called "Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE) deserves our love"

How bad can it be?

-reads last five pages-

Oh, okay then.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I'd like to see the correlation between users' ratings for Elden Ring and whether they played KOTC2.

Is the kind of person who plays KOTC2 more stingy with his ratings (for Elden Ring and also in general)?

KotC is like caviar compared to this donkey piss generic game #23.

But ofc felipepe is enamored by dark souls like other hipster faggots.

cruel

Cipher
So, what about filtering the final results next time to only include games with at least 10% participation rate? This way you could avoid some public embarrassment :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So, what about filtering the final results next time to only include games with at least 10% participation rate? This way you could avoid some public embarrassment :)
That would exclude Ctrl Alt Ego which seems to be a quality title.

mediocrepoet

Patron
That would exclude Ctrl Alt Ego which seems to be a quality title.
True, but it also seems to be even less of an RPG than other games on the list. Does it even have stats or anything? No inventory...

Anyway, whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom