Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2022: Results & Cool Graphs

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
The only meaningful ways to interact with NPCs are to beat them up or give them shit. It's not an RPG.
Holy shit, you're tearing up the roots of the genre now. :lol:

I mean, this is completely wrong unless you're a complete storyfag (disgusting creatures).
Considering the fact that the only other RPG elements in these games are stats (rudimentary) and collecting items (utter shit), the only other way ER could've been "more like an RPG" was through NPCs and environment interactions, which are negligible.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only meaningful ways to interact with NPCs are to beat them up or give them shit. It's not an RPG.

I mean, this is completely wrong unless you're a complete storyfag (disgusting creatures).
Considering the fact that the only other RPG elements in these games are stats (rudimentary) and collecting items (utter shit), the only other way ER could've been "more like an RPG" was through NPCs and environment interactions, which are negligible.
... have you even played any classic CRPGs? Go try Wizardry and Might and Magic and get back to me.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected

... have you even played any classic CRPGs? Go try Wizardry and Might and Magic and get back to me.
Yes. Exactly what about Elden Ring is "more like an RPG" than other Souls games which are action games? Since its "storyfag" aspect is inadequate, and the "combatfag" aspect is also inadequate for Elden Ring to be an RPG?

mediocrepoet

Patron
Yes. Exactly what about Elden Ring is "more like an RPG" than other Souls games which are action games? Since its "storyfag" aspect is inadequate, and the "combatfag" aspect is also inadequate for Elden Ring to be an RPG?
More fleshed out NPCs and quest lines is a big one. More open world structure and items to allow you to decide on different approaches to situations. The entire thing felt less "gamey". From's level design has always been great, but also quite artificial, whereas Elden Ring felt less artificial than the prior games despite continuing the same tropes such as one way doors.

Again, I'd say that it's about as much of an RPG as something like Gothic or Risen. If you think those aren't, then that's fine. But if you can't see where I'm coming from, I invite you to notice this part of my profile: Combatfag: Gold box / Pathfinder

Vlajdermen

Arcane
what my generation used to call CYOA
981.jpg

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Sekiro has a thousand times better combat system than ER
Elden Ring ... combat is utter shit, the proper way to play it (via timed parries or rolls or whatever) is broken because bosses have tracking, infinite stamine, jump around like fleas, and have unpredictable attack patterns with feints and delays mixed in with ultra-fast 3 frame animation attacks.

:avatard:

You don't even know, what you know

I can see how someone from the outside might think that Sekiro and ER combats are similar
I didn't say their combat systems are similar (because they aren't)
The point being made is that they share the same flaws

Now I would say despite that fact Elden Ring's combat is overall more enjoyable because unlike Sekiro it offers versitilty and its mechanics+enemies aren't straight up rythm game design

GloomFrost

Arcane

Also got nothing against the 'watch but wtf?

View attachment 33714

God of War? Really?
ELEX at the top is a bigger joke than the Impregnation of the Elves.
The biggest problem is that despite being one of the worst PB games ever and a huge disappointment in general, Elex 2 is still 10 times more of an RPG then Elden Ring or even Arthur the Knights tale (and I love that game). Just like Black Gayser despite being a very watered down, sugar free BG clone should have been way way higher on the list simply because its still 100% pure CRPG while crap like GOW never should have been on that list in the first place. But the entire voting system is completely broken. DECLINE!!

mediocrepoet

Patron

Also got nothing against the 'watch but wtf?

View attachment 33714

God of War? Really?
ELEX at the top is a bigger joke than the Impregnation of the Elves.
The biggest problem is that despite being one of the worst PB games ever and a huge disappointment in general, Elex 2 is still 10 times more of an RPG then Elden Ring or even Arthur the Knights tale (and I love that game). Just like Black Gayser despite being a very watered down, sugar free BG clone should have been way way higher on the list simply because its still 100% pure CRPG while crap like GOW never should have been on that list in the first place. But the entire voting system is completely broken. DECLINE!!
There's always a tension in these lists between "best game" and "best RPG excluding everything I don't feel is RPG enough".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just like Black Gayser despite being a very watered down, sugar free BG clone should have been way way higher on the list simply because its still 100% pure CRPG while crap like GOW never should have been on that list in the first place. But the entire voting system is completely broken. DECLINE!!
Possibly would have been higher if the poll used the Felipe 1-4 scale, but 3/5 it is.

Geckabor

Savant
Why don't people post their prestigious top 5 lists. instead of complaining?
That would require having a spine and also playing RPGs, which excludes most of the people that whine every year. I've checked up on some since the raw data is available and most don't even vote or troll-vote and then proceed to complain about troll-results. It's amazing.

Harthwain

Magister
dont get me wrong, 4 and 6 are nice to have, just not genre defining. They can make a good game great though.
I don't know about that. A game with 3, 4 and 6 would make for a pretty strong RPG. Granted, it is harder to find than something with just 1, 2, 3 and 5.

Now I would say despite that fact Elden Ring's combat is overall more enjoyable because unlike Sekiro it offers versitilty and its mechanics+enemies aren't straight up rythm game design
I found Souls games to be pretty much always "rythm game design". Enemies have a pattern, you exploit that pattern. That's pretty much it.

Are you questioning the ancient Codex tradition of complaining shitting on everything?

:shunthenonbeliever:

mediocrepoet

Patron
dont get me wrong, 4 and 6 are nice to have, just not genre defining. They can make a good game great though.
I don't know about that. A game with 3, 4 and 6 would make for a pretty strong RPG. Granted, it is harder to find than something with just 1, 2, 3 and 5.
Let's see here...

1. Combat
2. Monsters/Mobs
3. Stats and their progression
4. Perks/Traits

5. Items and looting
6. Choices and consequences

:philosoraptor:

You fucking dirty Disco Disco apologist. How could you!?

I loved you like a brother!

Mortmal

Arcane
Because a majority of the codexers are completely retarded and there's a minority of decent guys now. Not that the watch is doing any better, just have a look a their thread , its shameful.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Rpg codex:Claims to be prestigious role playing forum with refined taste(s)

Declares elden ring as rpg goty.......

Pls jump of the cliff NOWWWWWWWWWWW

you first
Ladies and gentleman Average weaboo action game enjoyer

Big words for somebody who didn't even vote. How do they call people who complain about something with no skin in the game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom