Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Editorial: Where Journalism Goes to Write Itself

Ninjerk

Arcane
Correct me if I'm wrong but is this the guy that goes by Jimquisition on the Escapist now?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So for something to "function like a video game," mind you it has a narrative and a setting that we are meant to invest in, it has to throw versimilitude out the window? I for one felt the same as the "crazy NMA" people about Fallout 3 because I loved the TB combat and overhead third person viewpoint. I appreciate other styles of game, too, but this guy is/was out of his mind.
Gameplay uber alles.
http://spring.me/JESawyer/q/235421846139320996

Complaining about unlooted containers in a RPG is pedantic.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
So for something to "function like a video game," mind you it has a narrative and a setting that we are meant to invest in, it has to throw versimilitude out the window? I for one felt the same as the "crazy NMA" people about Fallout 3 because I loved the TB combat and overhead third person viewpoint. I appreciate other styles of game, too, but this guy is/was out of his mind.
Gameplay uber alles.

Complaining about unlooted containers in a RPG is pedantic.
Context needed. What if the loot is guarded by raiders? Ok.
What if the loot is unguarded by raiders in the same building that raiders are chilling? Derp.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What if the loot is unguarded by raiders in the same building that raiders are chilling? Derp.
They're not going to be watching everything.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Khan_Base
20 .44 magnum rounds in the eastern most tent.

There's also a dead ghoul in the sewers of necropolis who has a plasma pistol. No one cares where or how he got such a rare weapon. It exists in this location for weapon progression purposes.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Gameplay uber alles.
Typical Sawyerism. A good RPG designer would find a compromise between simulation and the purpose of the game.

Lhynn

Arcane
Gameplay uber alles.
Typical Sawyerism. A good RPG designer would find a compromise between simulation and the purpose of the game.
So... 1 and a half hour and crippled?

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Always everywhere, we see how far people will go talking about talking about talking
Welcome to the Internet, enjoy your stay.

of all the digital pits I hang out around, the Codex is definitely off the charts for aggrieved meta-conversation and thinly-veiled wounded apologymongering. but HE said that HE said that HE said seems to crop up here on a regular basis.

uhhh, no. every decision you make should be to do with the purpose of the game. it's for the designer to decide if simulation is part of that purpose. many games are purely abstract and have no "simulationist" elements at all, and that's fine. many attempts at simulation turn out laughably cartoonish, and that...can be fine as long as they were also well-designed systems that weren't just included as some ill-thought-out shill to the seven people who prefer verisimilitude to the funs.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
As usual, neither the Sawyer apologists nor his bashers seem to be able to grasp his statements : for example this can very well mean that players who wish for realism in RPGs are just totally unaware that they truly want a set of canon rules that are viewed as "realistic", but are no less arbitrary and constitute no less at treason of the laws of of reality than what they see as a "gamist" approach. Let me just add that Sawyer's approach of weaponry for example (in PE every weapon can shine depending on the situation) is way closer to real medieval warfare than the usual fantasy D&D tropes...
Sawyer is as much a realistfag than, than he is a gamist. What, your little mind can't deal with that people ?

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
As usual, neither the Sawyer apologists nor his bashers seem to be able to grasp his statements : for example this can very well mean that players who wish for realism in RPGs are just totally unaware that they truly want a set of canon rules that are viewed as "realistic", but are no less arbitrary and constitute no less at treason of the laws of of reality than what they see as a "gamist" approach. Let me just add that Sawyer's approach of weaponry for example (in PE every weapon can shine depending on the situation) is way closer to real medieval warfare than the usual fantasy D&D tropes...
Sawyer is as much a realistfag than, than he is a gamist. What, your little mind can't deal with that people ?

Yes. Strangely, a sarcastic response to a passive aggressive insult couched as a question is not a great place to find a nuanced statement of principles.

Also, implicit in the idea that gameplay should trump realism is that there actually is a conflict between gameplay and realism. For quite a few of the problems with FO3, there was zero gameplay gained by sacrificing believability, it was just slopping thinking. For example, with the water purification, why not have your father working on a project that actually made sense? Zero gameplay would be lost by Ctrl-F'ing "radiation" and replacing with "Super Science Cholera".

Lhynn

Arcane
What, your little mind can't deal with that people ?
Mine cant, its too much Cosmo, please, help me understand, unravel the mysteries of game making. Plese, help me understand Sawyer.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, it's really easy to make your viewpoints seem unassailable if you just exaggerate any alternative into comical extremes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, it's really easy to make your viewpoints seem unassailable if you just exaggerate any alternative into comical extremes.
Yet it remains a fact that most people are willing to sacrifice realism/believablity for improved gameplay. Quantifying a point where you've gone too far is futile because you're not going to find a consensus. Better to just focus on making the best game possible.

Zeriel

Arcane
Which is the real minefield, isn't it? Because the best game possible might actually be a game that both has good systems and doesn't sacrifice all believability on the altar of those very same systems.

I don't know. I find this subject very difficult to approach because I can see things in pre-Sawyer Black Isle that were not technically "good gameplay" but nevertheless made the games better for my personal, anecdotal experience. I admire his approach in a general sense, but I feel it fits multiplayer centric games much more than it does singleplayer RPGs.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yet it remains a fact that most people are willing to sacrifice realism/believablity for improved gameplay. Quantifying a point where you've gone too far is futile because you're not going to find a consensus. Better to just focus on making the best game possible.
Verisimilitude isn't the same thing as realism.

Machocruz

Arcane
Bethesda is awful at that sacrifice. Every thing they strip out tends to make their games worse. Quantity and detail was their saving grace, because it ain't combat or NPC interaction imo.

Lhynn

Arcane
No, thats a lie, a fabrication from devs. Truth is its a hell of a lot easier to craft a world were gameplay gets the upper hand over realism, as if one wasnt there to serve the other.
It was never about the gamer, its always about the one making it and how he strikes a balance.

on second thought, Fuck beth for selling out to the console tards

Last edited:

Lancehead

Liturgist
Sometimes I think Sawyer purposefully misinterprets the opposing arguments on "realism". As has been stated many times before, it's not about realism, it's about simulating the game world through game mechanics. Realism happens to be a by-product of it; if Sawyer were to go back and watch his own video he made recently about the importance of creating believable worlds, he'd see why realism is in the equation. When you simulate a believable world through mechanics, the mechanics and the governing systems are necessarily realistic. And 1:1 realism is never asked for, abstraction is understood and desired, which makes Sawyer's comment "bleeding for the next three hours" absolutely ridiculous and a huge straw-man.

The major advantage of simulating a game world through its mechanics, instead of them existing in separate spheres, is free-form problem-solving. And free-form problem-solving is desirable because it accommodates and encourages player creativity. Having said that, I can understand Obsidian not going the simulation route; because it requires a sacrifice in robustness of story and characters, which would be under-utilising Obsidian's main strength, the writing. But for Sawyer to not see the advantages of simulation is unfortunate.

Lhynn

Arcane
Sometimes I think Sawyer purposefully misinterprets the opposing arguments on "realism". As has been stated many times before, it's not about realism, it's about simulating the game world through game mechanics. Realism happens to be a by-product of it; if Sawyer were to go back and watch his own video he made recently about the importance of creating believable worlds, he'd see why realism is in the equation. When you simulate a believable world through mechanics, the mechanics and the governing systems are necessarily realistic. And 1:1 realism is never asked for, abstraction is understood and desired, which makes Sawyer's comment "bleeding for the next three hours" absolutely ridiculous and a huge straw-man.

The major advantage of simulating a game world through its mechanics, instead of them existing in separate spheres, is free-form problem-solving. And free-form problem-solving is desirable because it accommodates and encourages player creativity. Having said that, I can understand Obsidian not going the simulation route; because it requires a sacrifice in robustness of story and characters, which would be under-utilising Obsidian's main strength, the writing. But for Sawyer to not see the advantages of simulation is unfortunate.
:bro: This is what has been on my mind for the last couple days, and i just could not find the way to express it, much less with the level of clarity youve just showed.
This guy is made of :incline:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lawl, Sawyer's reply to that question was an obvious troll post.

"Free-form problem-solving" is something that emerges in any sufficiently complex system, regardless of how "simulating" it is.

Maybe it's not the kind of freedom you're looking for, though.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lancehead Here's an image that succintly demonstrates the pitfalls of games that go for a heavily simulated approach:

denton.png

"Creative free-form problem solving", or unfun obvious exploit?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom