Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2023 GOTY - POLL IS CLOSED!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Here's my BG3 review, feel free to post it on the main page.
rating_shittydog.gif

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I actually got BG3 as a gift from a fellow Codexer, but it was unbearable to play for long. Frankly I am not a fan of Dragon Age style of games (cinematic dialogue, voice acting, annoying companions, etc.) which I predicted BG3 will turn out to be. What was particularly sad was the paper thin ruleset. For example, picking different races offered very little distinction in terms of rules, etc. It is frankly unacceptable for a computer role playing game. System wise something like KotC 2 Hearkenwold is light years ahead. I don't care about your production value.

Ladonna

Arcane
Back in last February, I thought the Harry Potter CRPG would take the crown for sure, with the way the Codex was gushing over it. I don't think anyone has mentioned it once in this thread. Ships in the Night.

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I actually got BG3 as a gift from a fellow Codexer, but it was unbearable to play for long. Frankly I am not a fan of Dragon Age style of games (cinematic dialogue, voice acting, annoying companions, etc.) which I predicted BG3 will turn out to be. What was particularly sad was the paper thin ruleset. For example, picking different races offered very little distinction in terms of rules, etc. It is frankly unacceptable for a computer role playing game. System wise something like KotC 2 Hearkenwold is light years ahead. I don't care about your production value.
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/578
Reverts Racial Ability Score Bonuses from floating +2/+1 to PHB Rules.
But yeah I prefer AD&D 2 or 3.5 myself. Don't like fifth edition (I have never played tabletop though).
EDIT: Also there are good based mods on rpghq like no alphabet.
https://rpghq.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1122-no-alphabets-4-4-1-baldur-s-gate-3

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Back in last February, I thought the Harry Potter CRPG would take the crown for sure, with the way the Codex was gushing over it. I don't think anyone has mentioned it once in this thread. Ships in the Night.
Is that thing an RPG? Thought it was one of those story driven action adventure games like Last of Us or new God of War.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Is that thing an RPG? Thought it was one of those story driven action adventure games like Last of Us or new God of War.
It's a typical skill tree action game. Narratively and mechanically it's nothing remarkable. It got a positive reception for its well-realized environments and for pissing off the right people.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I don't think any posters here could be said to gush over it. I remember it being a sort of amused disdain. Something like this:

1708475221598.png

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, it has a 113-pages long thread in GRPG, so I guess...

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot

I don't think any posters here could be said to gush over it. I remember it being a sort of amused disdain. Something like this:

View attachment 46862
This is wrong. Codex isn't watching idiots fight with other idiots. Codex is idiots fighting with other idiots.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It was just another polished Ubislop-style game.

jaekl

Educated
Patron

I'd put down $150 for a codex review for BG3 written by Drakortha on the front page
That means I would have to actually play it. Don't do this to me.
You can just watch 140 hours of cutscenes on youtube and review that if it works better for you. I'm pretty sure that the only difference between playthroughs is which gay guy you smooch and talk about your feelings with.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Yes, also the story is pretty average at best and full of cringe-worthy stuff even aside the political themes and agenda.
Additionally, the "choice and consequences" are not really remarkable at all. It's nothing we have not seen before, a Kotor 2, Arcanum or fallout has way better C&C.

Even if were to pretend it's an actually good game (which I don't think it is) all the talk about it innovating or redefining stuff is completely baseless.

Last edited:

Shaki

Arbiter

Yes, also the story is pretty average at best and full of cringe-worthy stuff even aside the political stuff.
Additionally, the "choice and consequences" are not really remarkable at all. It's nothing we have not seen before, a Kotor 2, Arcanum or fallout has way better C&C.

Even if were to pretend it's an actually good game (which I don't think it is) all the talk about it innovating or redefining stuff is completely baseless.
I think a lot of people still pretending it has some revolutionary C&C, is just sunk cost fallacy in action. Most of the dudes saying this, are the usual suspects who were repeating that PR shit endlessly for 2 years and hundreds of pages, while the game was still in beta. As I said before, I get why they fell for it, beta had a lot of choices, and it looked like they would result in a massively different outcomes in the full version, and if you're a sucker for corpo promises, you could easily believe that.

After actually seeing the full game, the illusion of choice very quickly falls apart on closer inspection, but it's not surprising that people who spend multiple years being Larian shills for free based on Swen's promises, would rather deny reality and pretend the game is actually groundbreaking, than admit they were acting retarded and bought into the hype like 10IQ consoomer normies.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I think a lot of people still pretending it has some revolutionary C&C, is just sunk cost fallacy in action. Most of the dudes saying this, are the usual suspects who were repeating that PR shit endlessly for 2 years and hundreds of pages, while the game was still in beta. As I said before, I get why they fell for it, beta had a lot of choices, and it looked like they would result in a massively different outcomes in the full version, and if you're a sucker for corpo promises, you could easily believe that.

After actually seeing the full game, the illusion of choice very quickly falls apart on closer inspection, but it's not surprising that people who spend multiple years being Larian shills for free based on Swen's promises, would rather deny reality and pretend the game is actually groundbreaking, than admit they were acting retarded and bought into the hype like 10IQ consoomer normies.
Wasn't C&C the entire reasoning they gave as to why there was not going to be Day/Night cycles? "The full game is going to have tremendous C&C, it would be impossible to combine that complexity with a Day/Night cycle and NPC schedules!"

I remember reading that excuse countless times in the pre-release thread and on Reddit whenever the topic came up. Surprise Surprise, they were full of shit.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i dunno men, from what i gather some of the consequences to your choices include getting buttfucked by an illithid, so i would say that is pretty significant

Drakortha

Liturgist
i dunno men, from what i gather some of the consequences to your choices include getting buttfucked by an illithid, so i would say that is pretty significant
Consequence of playing that shit game. I guess you're right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom