Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2022 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Though Infi is actually right, putting the titles that have more steam reviews at the top of the list can easily solve the problem.
That would totally skew the poll results. I would have to put Elden Ring first and Knights of the Chalice 2 literally last.
Maybe go by length of Codex threads then. Shovelware with no threads gets listed last.

Mortmal

Arcane
Though Infi is actually right, putting the titles that have more steam reviews at the top of the list can easily solve the problem.
That would totally skew the poll results. I would have to put Elden Ring first and Knights of the Chalice 2 literally last.
We all know almost no one here played kotc2 anyway.Few wrote anything in the dedicated thread even less have the game.

Sunri

Liturgist
We all know almost no one here played kotc2 anyway.Few wrote anything in the dedicated thread even less have the game.
I played it gigachad.jpg

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Why have shovelware RPGs in the poll? The real question is "why not"? Data is good.

If it's because tl;dr-ers with short attention spans won't respond to the poll because they're too lazy to find the games they played, the solution is to have the games with (let's say) a certain minimum number of Steam reviews appear above the rest.
You are going to call me out, aren't you?

Disciple

Savant
Kudos for restricting the vote to people with a Codex account this year.

Should be a comfortable win for Elden Ring, I guess. It'll be the first Japanese game to be crowned RPGOTY on here, correct? Renders the notion of having From Software games and Dragon's Dogma confined to the JRPG subforum a bit weird and artificial. Many CRPG-loving Codexers seem to like those Japanese action RPGs whilst despising the more conventional JRPG affairs (i. e., those that play like FF/DQ/SMT).

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Should be a comfortable win for Elden Ring, I guess. It'll be the first Japanese game to be crowned RPGOTY on here, correct?
It is not all that surprising. Dark Souls is on the Codex's top 101 PC RPGs list (2019), after all.

Also, I like how people beat around the bush but it's monumental step forward for Jap RPGs, not because of quality specifically, but because of the sheer amount of work that goes into a game that big, all the creature and location designs, the various branching NPC storylines (which are kinda just okay, but effort was still put in), the project management, etc.

I think like 350 people worked on it, and it still turned out to not be absolute garbage. You know how few gaming studios can do that? The japanese are something else, and they certainly have unique work ethics.

And it made serious money. From a dev standpoint, I'm somewhat in awe. Kind of like how the game designer in me is fucking slackjawed playing stupid Vampire Survivor of all things.

That being said, I still gave Elden Ring like a 4 or a 3. Bloodborne was better as a game, Dark Souls 1 was better as a RPG.

Lhynn

Arcane
Great poll, played a fair bit of them, and added others to my wishlist for when they are in a sale.

To people complaining about obscure rpgs being posted in the codex GOTY poll, you are all faggots, no exception, go kill yourselves.

notpl

Arbiter
Great poll, played a fair bit of them, and added others to my wishlist for when they are in a sale.

To people complaining about obscure rpgs being posted in the codex GOTY poll, you are all faggots, no exception, go kill yourselves.
Folks he's absolutely right.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I just bought King Arthur due to this list, so it's been useful. Now I'll actually have to find the time to play it lol.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just bought King Arthur due to this list, so it's been useful. Now I'll actually have to find the time to play it lol.
Same here, somehow didn't find it earlier (I usually don't play tactical games and it doesn't look like proper RPG), it does look interesting enough to give it a try.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Most come from @Abu Antar's list, but then I also searched Steam for RPGs with more than 100 reviews. You can find some cool stuff, like Buriedbornes, a sort of free-to-play Wizardry-inspired dungeon-crawler.
Buriedbornes is neat, played it back when it was only(?) a phone game. (Sometimes you forget there are actually cool RPGs, roguelikes, etc. developed primarily for phones in our current sea of soulless gacha games and f2p crap.) Given that it's free, one has nothing to lose in trying it but time; and it's damn underrated for what it is even without the absence of a price-tag.

Seems that I barely played anything released in 2022 ... figures, if one also leans towards buying games at a discount, as nearly all the interesting releases were towards the end of the year. However, Warsim is worth a mention for the sheer dedication of its developer (who posts here) if nothing else -- a real passion project.

(And thanks for the heads-up on Zorbus getting a commercial release, totally missed that until now.)

Aemar

Arcane
Voted for Warsim as well.

1. Zorbus
2. KotC 2
3. Warsim
4. Bannerlord

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
8 pages of bickering over whether the games on the list are RPGs or not, but still no one has tried to actually define an RPG.

Same shit every year.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
8 pages of bickering over whether the games on the list are RPGs or not, but still no one has tried to actually define an RPG.

Same shit every year.
And every year I make this dumb joke.
62729665bc90352100a866d4_rpg7.png

Merry Christmas everyone!

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Arcanium: Rise of Akhan? Sounds like something I like very much. Perhaps it's worth checking out.

ss_7e51ecb7f09ea98c942a318dc8630fd8cae15ef3.1920x1080.jpg

:rage:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Same shit every year.
not at all? As in list go so bloated that no one is actually willing to check if something is rpg lol

Sarathiour

Cipher
Only one week to finish this masterpiece

wFqCurB.png

Hey, I actually played this one !
If you want a bit a trivia, the game require you to change the language setting to moonrune, otherwise the damage formula get fucked up and you're getting one-shot. Not sure if it's a bug of feature.
Won't change my vote though, I know that fucked up damage formula are staple of other prestigious rpg, such as DAO, but I don't consider it enough for me to qualify it as an rpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom