Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Richard "General British" Garriott leaves NCsoft

made

Arcane
General British said:
Many of you probably wonder what my plans are, now that I have achieved the lifelong dream of going to space. Well, that unforgettable experience has sparked some new interests that I would like to devote my time and resources to. As such, I am leaving NCsoft to pursue those interests.

http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/an ... al_br.html

MetalCraze

Arcane
General British said:
Many of you probably wonder what my plans are
Sorry dude, but who are you? And most importantly - what at least remotely decent did you make in the past 10 years?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
City of Heroes was pretty fun for a few hours.

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
General British said:
Sorry dude, but who are you? And most importantly - what at least remotely decent did you make in the past 10 years?

To be fair, this was posted on the Tabula Rasa website, and anyone who still plays that piece of shit must have some sort of unflinching loyalty to Garriott, and probably wants to know every time he stops to take a shit.

Personally, I stopped caring about his existence when he released a letter publicly defending Ultima 9 as a good Ultima game.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Here's a genuine question: What would you rather do? Remember a developer only for the good stuff he made in the past? Or condemn him as a has-been who makes crappy games?

I would probably say that the former is better, because every developer runs onto the end of his creativity after years. It's bound to happen, because lightning does not strike twice. But that's just my opinion.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
skyway said:
General British said:
Leave it to skyway to be the one to disrespect one of the RPG genre's best developers.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I like to remember them for the good stuff they did. I'm guessing it's also because I was allready into games while guys like Garriot and Molyneux did their best stuff that it's easier to do so. For me games like Populous and Ultima 7 where once the cutting edge and boded well for the future of gameing.

Fuck knows where it all went wrong.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Even though I know he won't make anything or do anything remotely interesting to me, this news still interests me enough that I have a tiny sliver of hope he will make something I will like.

Man, I wish he would make another single player Ultima. Sometimes people eventually return to what they started out with......yea I know he wont :(

My guess is he is gonna make a space type of game. Im not a big fan of space games, but if it were a single player RPG I might like it.

But as someone else said, its most likely gonna be some kind of space MMO.

I do have to say I still respect the heck out of Garriot, because he was the one who singlehandedly got me interested in my favorite hobby.

I have never been the same since the day I brought home Ultima Exodus.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
ah well, he could have at least tried to go out with a big bang instead of that lukewarm fart that tr is.
Xor said:
cryptic studios, not ncsoft (and it's still fun, as far as mmorpgs go).

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
skyway said:
10 years ago he was. Now he is quite the contrary.
No. He still is. He's done a fucking shitload for the RPG genre. Just because he made a few games you didn't like and went into the MMORPG industry (which he's also done a fucking shitload for) doesn't change that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He didn't become retarded. He just changed his vision. He created the first MMORPG and naturally he now tries to make good games from that genre. If you founded a new genre, wouldn't you want to make a few games in that genre too before moving on to something else?

I hope he makes another singleplayer RPG again, though, or if not that, at least something that is extremely awesome and eccentric.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
When I played Quest For The Avatar a year or two ago, I really found it fascinating. I mean, you start out as ordinary guy just sitting outside, when suddenly the whole place transforms and you find a gypsy's hut somewhere. The gypsy asks you questions about your sense of virtue, and then you are transported to another realm.

The whole circumstance is so wierd and interesting, like a modern and revised version of the Alice In Wonderland story. Though I just haven't played much of the game, but I should get around to it someday.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
SuicideBunny said:
Xor said:
cryptic studios, not ncsoft (and it's still fun, as far as mmorpgs go).

Wikipedia listed it as a game he worked on when I checked.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Wikipedia listed it as a game he worked on when I checked.
NCSoft was Cryptic's publisher and Garriot himself has helped with pretty much ever MMORPG NC has been involved with since he joined up with them

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fat Dragon said:
skyway said:
10 years ago he was. Now he is quite the contrary.
No. He still is. He's done a fucking shitload for the RPG genre. Just because he made a few games you didn't like and went into the MMORPG industry (which he's also done a fucking shitload for) doesn't change that.

Not to defend Skyway, but what has Gariott actually done to "move the RPG genre" since Ultima 9?

Nothing.

Now say, if he suddenly is inspired to make a new RPG series, THAT would be most interesting. Though I don't know if he could pull off the same brilliance and innovation he did with the Ultima series.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun said:
Now say, if he suddenly is inspired to make a new RPG series, THAT would be most interesting. Though I don't know if he could pull off the same brilliance and innovation he did with the Ultima series.

Nobody can. Ultima series were the first RPGs ever. You can't get any more innovative than creating a whole genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom