Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

Krivol

Magister
So you gave them exclusive deal and they gave you 'Good job pal'?

I will start a playthrough with Tessera patch pretty soon. Only thing currently stopping me is the absence of the sewer skip at 3/4 of the game.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
All the modders still hacking away at the Troika catalogue deserve an honorary forum tag I think. "Troika's Guilt" or something haha. :salute:

Valtiel

Scholar
seems it could be worth a try, I want to replay vampires in the near future, maybe when the mod is out

I'm really looking forward to playing clan quest mod. I think that Fleshartist, Mav and burgermersteir are the only talented modders out there

Wesp is talented too, but more of a bugfixer, or is the unofficial patch still modding... mmm

Last edited:

almondblight

Arcane
Huh. So Jeanette/Therese were taken from the 1975 film Trilogy of Terror, though this connection doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.

Edit: Also worth mentioning that the Zuni fetish from Trilogy of Terror seems to have been the inspiration for the Diablo II Act 3 enemies. Interesting legacy for a made-for-TV movie from 40+ years ago.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
Wesp5 dear, is the newspaper reporting Grout's car accident your doing?

Yes, I had some unused newspaper graphics and wanted to put some story content into the restored Malkavian Maze. I already had discussions whether the year was sensible ;)...

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Wesp5 dear, is the newspaper reporting Grout's car accident your doing?

Yes, I had some unused newspaper graphics and wanted to put some story content into the restored Malkavian Maze. I already had discussions whether the year was sensible ;)...

The year is not sensible :) As a practitioner of phrenology, Grout would fit in the 1st (!) half of the XIX century. Which also fits the description of the insane asylums he so laments. You should not assume that the recordings scattered through his mansion were made in 2004 ;)

Wesp5

Arcane
As a practitioner of phrenology, Grout would fit in the 1st (!) half of the XIX century. Which also fits the description of the insane asylums he so laments.

So what better date would you suggest? I can easily fix it for the next RC...

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Well, to be 100% honest, the Grout timeline is a mess.

1) Phrenology was mostly discredited as a scinece by the late 1840s in the US. There was a brief resurgence in the early XX century.
2) The first US insane asylum was constructed in New York in 1842.
3) The phonograph, an object related to Grouts and his wifes courtship, is a 1877 invention.
4) Grout seems to have been familiar with and disdainful of Freuds theories before they have become widely accepted. Freud started his medical career in 1882.
5) Lobotomies, which Grout appreciated so much, became a widespread practice only in the late 1930s.
6) The tape recorders he used seem to be a 1950s piece of technology.
7) There are 9 recordings. It is extremely likely they have been made at different points in time. The anti-Freud recording is a separate item from the mourning-of-asylums recording.
8) Grout was a Malk, therefore an unreliable narrator.

Based mostly on the phonograph and his familiarity with the theories of Freud, I would place the date of Grouts Embrace somewhere in the 1890s. The World of Darkness is a darker reflection of our own, so it is easy to imagine how phrenology continued to be influential a few decades longer, and how lobotomies became widespread a few decades earlier. Then he fakes his death and secludes himself for roughly 50 years. Then he re-emerges in the 50s and starts recording his thoughts :)

Wesp5

Arcane
Based mostly on the phonograph and his familiarity with the theories of Freud, I would place the date of Grouts Embrace somewhere in the 1890s. The World of Darkness is a darker reflection of our own, so it is easy to imagine how phrenology continued to be influential a few decades longer, and how lobotomies became widespread a few decades earlier. Then he fakes his death and secludes himself for roughly 50 years.

Okay, but how much after his embrace did he fake his dead? Please suggest a reasonable date. Would be 1915 or something possible?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Based mostly on the phonograph and his familiarity with the theories of Freud, I would place the date of Grouts Embrace somewhere in the 1890s. The World of Darkness is a darker reflection of our own, so it is easy to imagine how phrenology continued to be influential a few decades longer, and how lobotomies became widespread a few decades earlier. Then he fakes his death and secludes himself for roughly 50 years.

Okay, but how much after his embrace did he fake his dead? Please suggest a reasonable date. Would be 1915 or something possible?

Guess you want to keep the car accident headline? ;) 1915 is when Freuds theories were already in full swing. 1895 is as late as phrenology would hold any lingering ground.

Wesp5

Arcane
1915 is when Freuds theories were already in full swing. 1895 is as late as phrenology would hold any lingering ground.

According to the painting Grout was a very old man already when he was embraces so I would thing that date would fit...

Wesp5

Arcane
Is that painting actually supposed to be Grout? I always assumed it was his wife.

His wife looks much younger, so I always assumed this was Grout himself. The model is called malkwifepic.mdl, but this could mean she painted it...

HansDampf

Arcane
Right. I remember, the texture file is also called malkwifepic, and it looks like an elderly woman to me. Or maybe not? The hair color fits.

malkwifepic_textureq2u57.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom