Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

Vibalist

Arcane
thats a big nope from me right there

ds

Cipher
Patron
I really don't understand what's wrong with the original graphics. They are good enough to provide the immersion sought.

I completely agree. Upscaling original textures by AI is fine for people who need this, although those mods crash a lot, but why completely change e.g. poster and pictures? That's not what a HD mod should be about!

Even faithfully upscaled textures that 100% match the originals will often visibly contrast with the still lower resolution meshes, effects and animations. In a way it can actually make the game look older compared to the original where you might stop noticing the lower texture resolution after getting used to it whereas the dissonance of high resolution textures with low poly models remains noticeable. It's a similar effect to 1080p remasters of old TV series where what used to be rocks are now clearly paper props.

And I'm not even saying that this means you shouldn't use upscaled textures (I often use them myself) but its worth keeping this in mind instead of blindly following a bigger = better mindset. Heck, it might even be a desirable effect when replaying your old favorites.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Even faithfully upscaled textures that 100% match the originals will often visibly contrast with the still lower resolution meshes, effects and animations. In a way it can actually make the game look older compared to the original where you might stop noticing the lower texture resolution after getting used to it whereas the dissonance of high resolution textures with low poly models remains noticeable. It's a similar effect to 1080p remasters of old TV series where what used to be rocks are now clearly paper props.

And I'm not even saying that this means you shouldn't use upscaled textures (I often use them myself) but its worth keeping this in mind instead of blindly following a bigger = better mindset. Heck, it might even be a desirable effect when replaying your old favorites.
I too agree. The game has aged rather well, and at any rate, trying to modernize some of its parts... I feel it's as if the game were a good bread, and someone added several layers of butter to it, sprinkled it with sugar, and presented it as a cake. Sure, skills were used and all, but it inevitably falls flat, with the modernized parts sticking out sorely.

Forsooth, with HD textures, the cake is a lie yet again.

Btw, my attempt to reshade the game into kind of an SVGA look came, obviously, from nostalgia. I believe it's 'an allowed' attempt because it doesn't follow that bigger=better blind mindset, but goes at it the other way around as in making the game look even older. Not towards the horribly angular 3D beginnings, but towards the beloved SVGA adventures, or Blood FPS, that kind of stuff. I understand that some would find it ugly all the same, but at the very least, the idea doesn't try to build that fake cake at the expense of the game's initial charm.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I made a simple Reshade profile that made the shadows darker so vampire abilities that allowed you to see things in the dark became more valuable.
Nice!

Since we compare our dicks here with ReShades, I post two more. Have been working on those for the last two days. I mean it in a friendly way, your dick is cool for sure! :P

Visual Novel Cel-Shaded VtM:B

Toggleable Flashlight (ReShade based)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom