Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Revisiting Alpha Protocol

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Back then Joe Martin of BitTech rated Alpha Protocol <a href="http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/xbox-360/2010/05/27/alpha-protocol-review/" target="_blank">4/10 in his review</a>, but now he found out that popping the moles while assuming the role of Agent <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Thorton</span> Dumbfuck is pretty cool and he <a href="http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2010/10/16/revisiting-alpha-protocol/">enjoys it an aweful lot</a> at the moment, playing the game again and again.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>So; still broken. Worse than that, I know that the game underneath the bugs still isn&rsquo;t all that great. It&rsquo;s woefully balanced, schizophrenically paced and the plot is about as interesting as putting powdered glass in your eyes. Agent Thorton&rsquo;s pursuit of not-Haliburton really couldn&rsquo;t be duller if it tried. So, how can I possibly like it now?</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Good question. How can you, POSSIBLY?</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Then again, I&rsquo;ve been enjoying it an awful lot and, just as I originally hated Deus Ex because of it&rsquo;s bastard first levels, I&rsquo;ve come to love Alpha Protocol too. It&rsquo;s smart, cool and interesting, with enough non-linearity built into it that I already know I&rsquo;m going to play it again and again. I&rsquo;ll probably play it straight again after I finished it next and, while I can&rsquo;t recommend anyone ever play it, it surely won&rsquo;t be too long until it shows up on some Steam sale or as some part of some &lsquo;Pre-order X, get Alpha Protocol free!&rsquo; bundle, in which case I&rsquo;d suggest you pick it up. You might, like me, be pleasantly surprised.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100123-revisiting-alpha-protocol.html">GB</a></p>

SoupNazi

I agree with him entirely. I also realized this right after my first playthrough, and not months later.

Achilles

Arcane
So he reviewed a game, gave it a bad score and after many months he suddenly saw the light and decided that he actually liked the game. Well gee, how professional of him.

But hey, the good news is that no harm was done! So you wrote a bad review bashing a game that you later decided you enjoy, big deal. So a game that tried to do something a little different flopped largely because of bad review scores, so what? So there won't be an Alpha Protocol 2 , who cares. Bring on Gears Effect 3!

Ancient

Erudite
I like Mass Effect , DA , Fallout 3 and Oblivion.
But couldn't get into Alpha Protocol hated it unistalled after 30mins of playing.

Achilles

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
^It's almost like you consider "game journalist" to be an actual, serious job

Well no, but they could at least try and put some effort into it.

burrie

Scholar
Well, it's a nice change from "We loves the perfect Oblivion! No, we dislikes it many flawses it has.".

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Freelance Henchman said:
ALPACA BROCCOLIMOLE
Have we actually ever settled on any of these being the official Codex name for the game?

I mean, I liked Ass Brotocols.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Alexandros said:
So he reviewed a game, gave it a bad score and after many months he suddenly saw the light and decided that he actually liked the game. Well gee, how professional of him.

But hey, the good news is that no harm was done! So you wrote a bad review bashing a game that you later decided you enjoy, big deal. So a game that tried to do something a little different flopped largely because of bad review scores, so what? So there won't be an Alpha Protocol 2 , who cares. Bring on Gears Effect 3!

This is why Greeks are regarded as the fathers of western civilization. :love:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Freelance Henchman said:
ALPACA BROCCOLIMOLE
Have we actually ever settled on any of these being the official Codex name for the game?

I've only seen it referred to as Alpha Brotocol on the codex.

Alexandros said:

Even when he likes a game, he acknowledges that it's a bad game. Because it is a bad game. In every single imaginable fashion. I'd rather have a better produced corridor shooter than another abortion that is an Obshitian game.

Silellak

Cipher
Alexandros said:
So he reviewed a game, gave it a bad score and after many months he suddenly saw the light hit his head really hard and decided that he actually liked the game.
Fixed. :smug:

Hirato said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Freelance Henchman said:
ALPACA BROCCOLIMOLE

I'd vote for Alpha Brotocol, too. :bro:

hoochimama

Liturgist
I found alphaturd fit well with "Only an alpha turd could generate this much butthurt".

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Hirato said:
You must've missed the shitstorm poor VoD got when he called it Alphaturd in a newspost. Good times.

Speaking of Alphaturd... wasn't that about the patch? WTF happened to that patch?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Alexandros said:
a game that tried to do something a little different

Like placing 2D sprites in front of 3d objects on level backgrounds maybe.

Alexandros said:
Actually New Vegas is coming and he will have to write a good review for it praising Obsidian and Bethesda due to money so after he took a dump on Obsidian it won't look good so he just softens those corners.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Sceptic said:
Hirato said:
You must've missed the shitstorm poor VoD got when he called it Alphaturd in a newspost. Good times.

Speaking of Alphaturd... wasn't that about the patch? WTF happened to that patch?

First I made a newspost that Alphaturd might get patched.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=45789
This caused a lot of hurt feelings.

Then I made a newspost that Alphaturd did indeed receive a patch, if one can call it that.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=49301
Which was hilarious because the "patch" fit in well with the rest of the game theme: turd.
Multiple posters note that the game fails to start with this file. Whether it only suits a particular version or Sega has made a mistake, we'll have to wait to find out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom