Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Alphaturd Receives Some Polishing

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>... reports RPGWatch. Rejoice!</p>
<p>Yes it's true, <a href="http://help.sega.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&amp;_a=viewarticle&amp;kbarticleid=789" target="_blank">Sega released patch 1.1</a> for Alpha Protocol.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>We&rsquo;ve recently released a patch for Alpha Protocol PC that addresses issues with installation, activation and some other minor technical problems.&nbsp; Below are the simple steps to install the update.<br /><br />1) Go to: <a href="http://help.sega.com/index.php?_m=downloads&amp;_a=viewdownload&amp;downloaditemid=262&amp;nav=0,1">http://help.sega.com/index.php?_m=downloads&amp;_a=viewdownload&amp;downloaditemid=262&amp;nav=0,1</a><br /><br />2) Download the new APGame.exe<br /><br />3) Open Alpha Protocol&rsquo;s binaries folder.&nbsp; The default location is C:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\Binaries, though various download retailers often change the default layout to be under their own folder.<br /><br />4) Replace the APGame.exe in the binaries folder with the new APGame.exe you downloaded.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>You know what's most hilarious?</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span class="mediumtext"><strong>[Update]</strong>: Multiple posters note that the game fails to start with this file.&nbsp; Whether it only suits a particular version or Sega has made a mistake, we'll have to wait to find out.</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15781">RPGWatch</a></p>

gothfox

Liturgist
Multiple posters note that the game fails to start with this file. Whether it only suits a particular version or Sega has made a mistake, we'll have to wait to find out.

Sega tries to save its customers from Alpha Brotocol. How commendable.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
When I replaced it with my old executable I had lost all my saves (corrupted) and instead of hearing the normal sounds I should hear I could only hear a generic goon being beaten as a sound effect. FOR EVERYTHING.
lolol

Silellak

Cipher
Mangoose said:
When I replaced it with my old executable I had lost all my saves (corrupted) and instead of hearing the normal sounds I should hear I could only hear a generic goon being beaten as a sound effect. FOR EVERYTHING.
lolol
Sounds like an improvement to me. :smug:

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Mangoose said:
lolol
Sounds like one of the best updates ever. Almost beats the dlc for F3 where all the characters were replaced by giant exclamation mark placeholders.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Don't worry guys, with NWN2 Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off unlike KotOR2 which LucasArts basically forced them to release unfinished.

Don't worry guys, with Alpha Protocol Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off unlike NWN2 which Atari basically forced them to release unfinished.

Don't worry guys, with New Vegas Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off unlike Alpha Protocol which Sega forced them to release unfinished.

Don't worry guys, with Dungeon Siege 3 Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off unlike New Vegas which Bethesda forced them to release unfinished.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Eh. It its. A shitty game gets a shitty patch. To be expected.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would say it's about fucking time but I don't really care at this point.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Mangoose said:
lolol
That's piracy protection and was present in version 1.0 too. Activate the game and sound returns to normal.

I'll be honest, I don't know what this patch is supposed to fix. It's too small for a fixpack and too big for a copy protection remover.

denizsi

Arcane
Yes, they protect the pirates.

racofer said:
Don't worry guys, with NWN2 Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off unlike KotOR2 which LucasArts basically forced them to release unfinished.

Don't worry guys, with Alpha Protocol Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off unlike NWN2 which Atari basically forced them to release unfinished.

Don't worry guys, with New Vegas Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off unlike Alpha Protocol which Sega forced them to release unfinished.

Don't worry guys, with Dungeon Siege 3 Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off unlike New Vegas which Bethesda forced them to release unfinished.

:salute:

racofer said:

Succinct, coherent, and right to the heart of the matter. Almost Melcarian of you.

roll-a-die

Magister
racofer said:
True statement. Lucasarts did force them to release it unfinished. They literally forced them to release it 1 year earlier than planned.
Untrue, there were other reasons for the bugginess, IE that Atari gave them a beta version on the NWN engine to customize.
Eh, True and untrue, they could have worked on it, but Sega forced them on an 8 month hold prior to release, while they considered if they were even going to publish it. And it was better than previous titles in terms of completeness.
Given that Bethesda had 5 years and 50 more developers to make Fallout 3, while Obsidian has had 2 years, this will likely be a reason for a bad game. So potentially true.

Drakron

Arcane
Well FO:NV is build on top of FO3 so a lot of initial basic work can be skipped, granted its still just 2 years and substantial changes can break things up but the engine is unlikely to break.

Also Bethsoft games have a VERY HIGH number of errors, even if few are lethal (as in CTD) so even if bugged its not as FO:NV can do much worst that FO3 did.

Now problem is Bethsoft is not what I would call a good publisher but who the hell can I call a good publisher these days? Atari is shit (Hasbro even wants to bail out), Sega is crap and LucasArts is nothing but "publishing Star Wars games since we own the IP".

Drakron

Arcane
denizsi said:
Lucas Arts used to be cool.

Used to.

It started about the same time as Episode 1 come out, they were pulling back from Adventure Games (that were dying at that time) and started to make a LOT of shovelware to tie in with the prequels.

As the company only did had a strength on Adventure games it lost all its developing strength, we did had some good games after but it was never the same ... a lot of things changed with the prequels, It would be easy to blame Jim Ward for it and he certainly helped the fuck up but its not the issues did not come before and after him.

roll-a-die

Magister
Cassidy said:
Obsidian could have a Grimoire development cycle: the end result would be the same.
And what substantiated evidence do you have of that?

I'm actually quite happy to see that this game is looking like it's reasonably highly anticipated amongst the bethtards and console gamers. Regardless of whether Obsidian is good or shite, they're a company that can only be improved by having a decent amount in their bank accounts.

No, I'm not saying 'buy this so that they can make a good game later guys!!' - that logic is retarded. I'd just rather see OTHER folk buy it than not. MotB-style games might be rare and might not be produced either way, but Obsidian seem to have a 'retreat-to-mediocrity' mentality, when if profits are running low they flee to the mainstream, making the occasional attempt at creativity only when their financial asses are well-covered (e.g. in an expansion following a highly profitable NWN2, or with a guaranteed-hit star wars licence - hell, if you go back to Black Isle days I'd include 'using a streamlined BG engine', I suspect that the creativity of PS:T may have had something to do with it being low cost).

roll-a-die said:
Cassidy said:
Obsidian could have a Grimoire development cycle: the end result would be the same.
And what substantiated evidence do you have of that?

Well, given that Grimoire was clearly completed after a 2 year development cycle, but has been kept from release because Cleve has had so much fun playing the world's first perfect game that he hasn't been able to find the time to set up online distribution (everyone who has tried apparently makes the mistake of actually playing the game, thinking 'I'll just play for 5 minutes, then get back to work, and then can't stop themselves). So with a 2 year development cycle, Obsidians' games would be about the same as they currently are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom