Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommended mods for Dragon Age?

Ivan

Arcane
(First playthrough) I've seen a plethora of mods for D.A. but would like some feedback as to which are genuinely worthwhile. Anything that polishes the dialogue/combat/interface would be cool, however I'm unsure of the ones that alter the look of the game.

So far I've got:
JB textures
advanced tactics
ftg ui mod
ZDF Dialog Fix
Morrigan Restoration Patch Dialog Fixpack

racofer

Thread Incliner
Uninstall.exe

796eljz.jpg

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
thirst fixes the story and cnc :P
If you do install it, be advised you need to uninstall all other mods you are using, or there is a very high chance of something breaking.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
There is no good mod. Of interest would have been one that allows you to increase party size, however it is bugged unusable.

Gregz

Arcane
I enjoyed playing this one vanilla, but I only played it once, just after it first came out.

On the 1st playthrough it's best to go vanilla unless a game is really broken, but I suppose that's more of a concern when playing classic titles.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I enjoyed playing this one vanilla, but I only played it once, just after it first came out.

Unless a game is really broken, it's best to go vanilla on the 1st playthrough, but I suppose that's more of a concern when playing classic titles.
There are some pure bug fixes that are good to have like the unobtainable item and Shaperate reward fixes. And some that fix their vision like detailed tooltips, two specs for Sten, the gift guide so you don't have to play a save/reload guessing game.

It's too bad there aren't any rebalance mods that don't have problems, except for the one that puts all potions of the same kind on the shared cooldown so you can't slam one after the other.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
More hairstyles, totally essential if you enjoy more hairstyles http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/3552/?

If you think the weapons/armors in DA don't look retarded enough, you can upgrade their looks to DA2 style http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/3258/?

And most importantly, extra dog slot: http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/664/?

Hope this helps.
:what:
Those Dragon Age 2 armors look completely out of place in the game... as do those Pantene Pro-V hairstyles...

I think Extra Dog Slot is cool but very, very buggy in my experience.

hiver

Wish i could. Maybe ill try to make a mod with editors of some of the kickstarter games that are coming out in the next year or two.

Ive been playing it some more but not much. Im figuring maybe later some of the more important NPcs will have some personality and characterization, or that dialogue will be more then just clicking to get a quest and direct exposition.
First two companions basically just say "hey, im going to join you." The second one, fighter in the bar, tells you in his second sentence about his falling with boss of the guild - all secret internal stuff of some mercenary company or something, because he discovered that his boss deals - directly with that ghost armor dude youre after and he will join you. yes, no?

- this is not even a spoiler since thats what he tells you as soon as you click on him. and you pretty much have to find him anyway. -

I go into a monastery, there is a reverend mother or something there, and three templar knights. give her a letter blah, blah - but dont go into the cellar. Right. You go see, zombies, undead - you go back, (Revenant boss) - cant say anything about it to anyone - Those three Templar Knights have no idea about anything before or after - nobody thought to ask them to maybe take care of the undead behind doors that are five meters away, or look into whats wrong with the cellar atleast. The reverent mother waited for you, delivering a letter from a criminal boss, to come in to even mention it. While there are three templars standing right in the church.
Why would they? Templars ? pft! In the middle of the main temple of a major city? fugedaboutit...

Thats how things go through the beginning, at least.

-

The dialogue is basically like Morrowind text box, you click on 1,2,3 or 4 and the exposition boxes just unload it all out in one or two sentences. And give you quests in most hamfisted manners, just because. Basically.
And you can like, turn them down, what?
I havent found a single character or anything close to personality, out of these NPCs in the beginning. The visuals dont help, but one would think that then the dialogue would try to make up for it.

(in any case, if camera could be forced to be isometric while in dialogue it would help a lot - visually)

Additionally every second NPC box freaking apologizes all the time - when they are starting the dialogue. Excuse me, but - Im sorry - Forgive me - I apologize but -
I already want to kill everyone.

- message board quests seem to be a bit more involved now, you have to go and talk to some NPCs to see whats going on and where to look etc, but with that same type of exposition 1,2,3 dialogue lines and no personality of any sort in any "NPC" you interact with.

- of course, work on CnC is visible from the start and where the most effort went into, apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ive been playing it some more but not much. Im figuring maybe later some of the more important NPcs will have some personality and characterization, or that dialogue will be more then just clicking to get a quest and direct exposition.
First two companions basically just say "hey, im going to join you." The second one, fighter in the bar, tells you in his second sentence about his falling with boss of the guild - all secret internal stuff of some mercenary company or something, because he discovered that his boss deals - directly with that ghost armor dude youre after and he will join you. yes, no?
All the companions have logical reasons for joining you both at the time, and for some of them, deeper reasons that are revealed later.

As for personality and characterization, I dunno what you want. My writing tends to be a bit "dry" but my characters don't have "extreme" personalities by choice, and don't necessarily wear all their ideas and opinions on their sleeves. Though that said, I'm not sure how you can miss out on the fact that Aneza tends to say, be compassionate, despises cities, etc. while Virgil reveres knowledge and learning as well as manipulation of others.

I go into a monastery, there is a reverend mother or something there, and three templar knights. give her a letter blah, blah - but dont go into the cellar. Right. You go see, zombies, undead - you go back, (Revenant boss) - cant say anything about it to anyone - Those three Templar Knights have no idea about anything before or after - nobody thought to ask them to maybe take care of the undead behind doors that are five meters away, or look into whats wrong with the cellar atleast. The reverent mother waited for you, delivering a letter from a criminal boss, to come in to even mention it. While there are three templars standing right in the church.
Why would they? Templars ? pft! In the middle of the main temple of a major city? fugedaboutit...
I think you're playing up the "delivering letters" thing a bit too much.

First, that is only one possible quest that starts you on one of the (mutually exclusive) questlines and is in no way required if you don't want to do it.

Second, it's justified as work to build the trust of the person you're working for, because there's not much reason to trust a new recruit into a criminal organization with super-sensitive info or complex, difficult tasks, is there? I'm sure if you went right to the smuggling, murder, etc. then you'd be complaining about how unrealistic it is that you're allowed to do so without gaining adequate trust.

If you speak to the Templars they specifically mention why they are there. You can literally ask this exact question and he gives you the answer.

kc.jpg

Effectively the Knight-Commander pissed off his superiors in taking extreme action towards mages and was relegated to shitty duties in Arceris he wants no part of. In fact, if you are a mage (or have Virgil in your party) he outright has to restrain himself from insulting you, and he doesn't even offer you the option to do his quest if you are a mage, unless you can convince him otherwise using various skill checks.

Once again, I try to avoid dialogue that beats the player over the head with the obvious, and instead implies insight into the motivations of the characters involved.

As for not being able to tell the Templars about the infested undercroft - fair point, that was an oversight on my part (though admittedly a dumb one). Both those quests were later additions and I got much less feedback about them compared to other stuff. If I have time I might go back and tweak the interaction between both quests.

Last edited:

hiver

- ninja edited post above a bit -

All the companions have logical reasons for joining you both at the time, and for some of them, deeper reasons that are revealed later.

As for personality and characterization, I dunno what you want. My writing tends to be a bit "dry" but my characters don't have "extreme" personalities by choice, and don't necessarily wear all their ideas and opinions on their sleeves. Though that said, I'm not sure how you can miss out on the fact that Aneza tends to say, be compassionate, despises cities, etc. while Virgil reveres knowledge and learning as well as manipulation of others.
Yeah, sorry but no. They do just unload everything and are completely two dimensional. Yes Aneza is imoen clone, basically, just uglier and more boring and talks like she is made out of a plank of wood. nd elf who is compassionate and dislike cities who would have fing thought that eh?
Sure is surprise to me now that you said it.

Aneza basically directly tells you she has other reasons - right off the bat. And she even repeats lines about "things she wont discuss now" when you ask - eh?
Running into her sister was almost hilarious. One of them thought the other is dead but the conversation is "ah you, i dont want to talk to you - private "family" problems exposition." -

I think you're playing up the "delivering letters" thing a bit too much.
No im not, im only mentioning it so you know where i am in the game.

First, that is only one possible quest that starts you on one of the (mutually exclusive) questlines and is in no way required if you don't want to do it.
yeah, yeah, ive seen it. go for teh thieves or teh guards thrills.

Second, it's justified as work to build the trust of the person you're working for, because there's not much reason to trust a new recruit into a criminal organization with super-sensitive info, is there? I'm sure if you went right to the smuggling, murder, etc. then you'd be complaining about how unrealistic it is that you're allowed to do so without gaining adequate trust.
- irrelevant, since thats not why i mention it.

If you speak to the Templars they specifically mention why they are there. You can literally ask this exact question and he gives you the answer.

kc.jpg

Effectively the Knight-Commander pissed off his superiors in taking extreme action towards mages and was relegated to shitty duties in Arceris he wants no part of. In fact, if you are a mage (or have Virgil in your party) he outright has to restrain himself from insulting you, and he doesn't even offer you the option to do his quest if you are a mage, unless you can convince him otherwise using various skill checks.

Its not like you can bloody miss that dialogue, mate.
You just click next, next, next, next and that "Templar" model just unloads all that in your face.

- an additional question - why the hell would he even tell you any of that?

Once again, I try to avoid dialogue that beats the player over the head with the obvious, and instead implies insight into the motivations of the characters involved.
havent found anything like that so far... in fact the complete opposite.

Killing the Revenant there is a quest and you should be able to turn it into the Revered Mother there once you're done. As for not being able to tell the Templars - fair point, that was an oversight on my part. Both those quests were later additions and I got much less feedback about them compared to other stuff.
-
I can turn in the quest when im done? Thats it?
Thats kind of a problem here, i think.
Because that situation, that quest does play and look exactly like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Your feedback is appreciated, though this isn't exactly the right place anymore.

hiver

yeah, didnt mean to drag it on especially. Just had to explain why i think what i think instead of just throwing empty statements.

Ivan

Arcane
Thanks, bros. I'm using most of the ones mentioned above and so far I'm at Lothering. So far so good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom