Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend some different adventure games

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
phanboy_iv said:
$3 and free shipping, if you live in the US. I'll wager it's just as cheap elsewhere.
Haha, if you consider ~€10 plus shipping just as cheap, yes. In fact, this particular offer might be the cheaperst for anyone anywhere on the planet.

made

Arcane
That was a surprisingly pleasant read. Even if enjoyed the games he dislikes, I find myself agreeing with many of his poiints. Very well written.

Tintin

Arbiter
Just finished a game called "KGB" / Conspiracy.

It's pretty old, so the graphics aren't great but they are generally pleasant, and the sound is okay. No voice acting or anything.

It's a detective sort of game, you are investigating and spying and things of that nature, takes place in the Soviet Union, right before the collapse.

The game is not easy. The clock is ticking and important events happen whether you are present or not. Even if you miss an event, you won't get a pop up and it may take a long time until you discover that you've reached a dead end. And if you do something stupid, you may pay for it later, a lot later. Eg. I was investigating an apartment and pissed off some guy. Unfortunately I need to talk to this guy later on in the story, but I've pissed him off and he ignores me when I knock. Things you do at one point can screw you up a lot in the future in an annoying way.

Pretty fun/rewarding though, I recommend it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DarkSign said:
How has no one mentioned Sanitarium yet? Sheesh. Best adv game ever.
Is not.

Much better games were mentioned here.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Tintin said:
Just finished a game called "KGB" / Conspiracy.
KGB was awesome. Conspiracy was the CD-ROM version with Donald Sutherland I think playing in some videos? never played that version though. Game was HARD. Music is awesome (Stephane Picq FTW). Graphics were standard for the time, they're nothing great but serviceable. I really like this game.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Mareus said:
Try Death Gate damnit! I keep telling people it is one of the greatest adventure games ever when it comes to puzzles and dialogs, but nooooooo. It has to be one of the famous adventure games. Sheesh. Everything is very logical and there is a lot to do, and none of the puzzles are for the lulz, so you only have to think what you would really do if you were in the character's shoes. And there is no dreaded pixel hunting, since you can see very easily with what you can interact.

Anything by Legend is good, anyway!
I love Eric the Unready for instance.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, the Spellcasting games weren't particularly good. One riddle from the first one included repeating something like 100 "KABBUL" spell commands, I think.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Can't say I remember this puzzle.
I quite liked the adventures of Ernie, but Eric, Death Gate, Gateway or Timequest are indeed better games.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Tramboi said:
Eric, Death Gate, Gateway or Timequest are indeed better games.
I think these are the best Legend games. I like Spellcasting 101, but the series went downhill after that. 201 had good puzzles and a mediocre plot but 301 was just bad. Shannara had awful and pointless combat and was way too linear (if there was ever a "corridor adventure" this was it). Gateway II was good, but not as good as the first. Mission Critical was cool but it suffered heavily from FMVitis and ended up being more of a movie than a game.

Actually I lie, Callahan's and Superhero League of Hoboken were both awesome games too. Shannara completely fucked up the RPG elements (surprising since it was done by the Coles and they should've known better after Quest for Glory) but Hoboken managed to be an excellent adventure/RPG hybrid, even if the puzzles were generally easy.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Yep, I forgot the SuperHero League!
The RPG part is not really interesting, but it still is a fun game with an ok adventure part.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Superhero league is quite cool. I bought the diskettes so i can pirate with a guilt free conscience (i do anyway).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Tramboi said:
Yep, I forgot the SuperHero League!
The RPG part is not really interesting, but it still is a fun game with an ok adventure part.
If you buy a Steve Meretzky game for anything other than the humor, you're doing something wrong ;)
Fortunately this is one of the good Meretzky games.

SCO said:
Superhero league is quite cool. I bought the diskettes so i can pirate with a guilt free conscience (i do anyway).
Get the CD version (or an ISO) if you can. The game takes on a whole new level of cheese with voice acting.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Sceptic said:
If you buy a Steve Meretzky game for anything other than the humor, you're doing something wrong ;)
Fortunately this is one of the good Meretzky games.

"A Mind Forever Voyaging" is not that lulzy
:love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom