Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend some different adventure games

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
GK2 is pretty good despite the FMV, with typical FMV level "acting!"

GK3 is so-so, it's the same story as the Davinci Code, but a bit better (than the film at least), but it has some of the most stupid puzzles imaginable

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
phanboy_iv said:
ghostdog said:
I really liked the first GK; left me wanting for more. Then it turned out the 2nd has these god-awful FMVs and the 3rd is in shitty 3D. Totally ruined the series for me.

I hope you played the second one anyway. It's still excellent. And the FMV's aren't bad.
I have played the second and the 3rd and loved them both despite the FMV and blocky 3d...
DON'T put words in my mouth !

...It was a case of misquoted identity...

Mojo

Scholar
Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is a pretty unique adventure game. One of my favorites and dult reccomended.

made

Arcane
ghostdog said:
I hope you played the second one anyway. It's still excellent. And the FMV's aren't bad.

No. After looking around on mobygames and youtube, I just couldn't bring myself to play them.

See, originally, Gabe & Grace were pictured like this:

967372371-00.gif

Gabe looks totally desolate and depressed - a very likable character, whose relationship to Grace (or the lack thereof) was the source of much hilarity throughout the game.

In contrast, behold the actors (and I use the term in the loosest sense) that play the roles of our beloved heroes in the second installment:

1025032406-00.gif

1025033390-00.gif

Yeah...

And this is Gabe in part 3:

176297.jpeg

I just can't immerse myself in a game where the protagonists look like that and are such a far cry from the original way they were portrayed. I should also note that I played the first game without speech, which, judging from youtube vids, would probably have ruined some of its most dramatic moments.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
It's your life, but I still think you're making a mistake by not playing it.

I figured the FMV's would kill it before I played it, but they didn't. I actually liked it better than GK1.
You probably need to go back and play GK1 with voice too, it's worth it.

Also, sorry ghostdog. Chalk one up to my braindeadedness. Far be it from me to put words in your mouth :wink:

Fez

Erudite
made said:
Andyman Messiah said:
No hotlinking, bitch.
Or else?

Or else the images won't display in your post. They are just anti-hotlinking images, so I've no idea what they are meant to be.

Pastel

Scholar
K so Post Mortem was p. f. great. Especially the non-linearity, of which it had a lot more than Last Express. And the story was fairly good as well, though it's silly that it's about yet another Knights Templar styled serial killer.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yes, Post Mortem was great, but I couldn't finish it thanks to a grand bug near the end :roll:

You should try Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder and The Lost Crown: A Ghost Hunting Adventure. Very well done horror games, the former with a very "lovecraft" style and some pretty original mechanics, the later with a strong "Twilight Zone" vibe. If you like those you should also try Dark Fall, also known as Dark Fall: The Journal. It is the first game from the guy who later would do The Lost Crown and some other things. This one is also supernatural horror/mystery, like the other two.

Since we are talking indie horror adventure games from the last two years you also have Barrow Hill. Not as good as the three mentioned before, but still worth a check. And, while this one was made by different guys, Mr.Boakes, of Dark Fall and The Lost Crown fame, gave a hand with this one. I hope you are noticing a pattern here. By general rule you should get any Adventure Game that has his name somewhere in the credits.

[Edit: Dark Fall is actually the game that started the trend, among indie games, that spawned the current crop of games like Darkness Within and Scratches and Barrow Hill, and that showed a lovingly made adventure game by just one guy could be great. So it mostly single-handedly resurected Adventure Games. So if you liked Scratches you are most likely going to like those i mentioned on the first two paragraphs.]

I will also add a vote for Realms of the Haunting. A well-researched supernatural horror game? One of a kind, i'll say, and if you have at least a passing interest in occult research you will have lots of fun finding references and influences. But there is not a lot of heavy duty adventuring in there, truth be said, and the end game is... trippy, to say the least.

And lastly, the better one of the lot: Azrael's Tear, one of the better games ever made and the best game you have probably never heard of... Or would not have heard of if i were not singing hymns to it every other post. It has everything: Deep characters, good puzzles, a well made storyline, ghosts, mutant dinousaurs, crazy one-thousand years old templars, lots and lots of background lore, high-tech tomb robbers, one or two dead ends if you are not carefull, and a pretty awesome ending. Get it, play it, love it, and then we can go make a cult or something. If you get it without removing anything from an inventory get yourself the scaned manual too, since it has some background lore on the "dungeon", the Raptors, and you.

Evey time i end making one of those post i notice i should be bothering people in JA+ forums instead of the codex. :(

Mareus

Magister
The Rambling Sage said:
And lastly, the better one of the lot: Azrael's Tear, one of the better games ever made and the best game you have probably never heard of... Or would not have heard of if i were not singing hymns to it every other post. It has everything: Deep characters, good puzzles, a well made storyline, ghosts, mutant dinousaurs, crazy one-thousand years old templars, lots and lots of background lore, high-tech tomb robbers, one or two dead ends if you are not carefull, and a pretty awesome ending. Get it, play it, love it, and then we can go make a cult or something. If you get it without removing anything from an inventory get yourself the scaned manual too, since it has some background lore on the "dungeon", the Raptors, and you.

Evey time i end making one of those post i notice i should be bothering people in JA+ forums instead of the codex. :(
You know, it would help if you could provide a link where we can acquire the game without removing anything from the inventory. I doubt anyone supports the game anyway.

Or "Azrael's Tear Torrent", without the... umm... two thingies at the sides.

And try the nova and the bay. If you still can't find a working copy send me a PM and i'll upload the image somewhere.

Suchy

Arcane
I'm kind of interested in Gray Matter - by Jane Jensen. I really liked Gabriel Knight series for their stories (except some idiotic puzzles in GK3, but GK1 is imo the best adventure ever), so it might turn out interesting.

IlkuWarrior

Liturgist
Discworld: Noir

Less item juggling, more dialog juggling.

It has this great thing that along with the inventory you have a notebook in which the main char writes clues, suspects etc. which you can then use in conversations and on things and combine with each other

Also, great voiceacting, great atmosphere, very funny, witty dialogs, etc etc

Midwinter

Novice
HanoverF said:
GK2 is pretty good despite the FMV, with typical FMV level "acting!"

GK3 is so-so, it's the same story as the Davinci Code, but a bit better (than the film at least), but it has some of the most stupid puzzles imaginable
Yes. I agree that the FMV adventure is not the best invention ever, but I still play GK2 about once a year. It has fantastic atmosphere, a lot of tension between characters and a very interesting antagonist.

While GK3 isn't as good, it has one of the best stories I have encountered in a video game. The game was released before the Da Vinci Code-hype and touches upon much, much more than the stuff Dan Brown decided to put into his book. Moreover, there is a lot more character development in GK3. Concerning puzzles: okay, some are pretty ridiculous (fake moustache anyone?), but Le Serpent Rouge is really neat. I get stuck on it every damn time, but I feel like a real treasure hunter solving it.

About the graphics... the game is almost ten years old. If we can look past the horrible graphics of RPG's from the late eighties and early nineties, surely we can ignore Gabriel's ugly face in GK3.

MountainWest said:
Overclocked: This one I liked. Constant rain, a protagonist with a fucked up personal life and mental issues. A mystery involving amnesiac kids on a mental institute. All good. However, it's not much of a game.
I second this. Good atmosphere and emphasis on story rather than puzzle solving. Like the TS, I'm not much of a puzzle fanatic myself. I hate it when I get stuck for hours because somewhere I missed a few pixels. I just want the story to continue.

I also recommend Blade Runner and the new Sam & Max episodes as good adventure games that aren't too difficult.

made

Arcane
Meh, I was going to fix the links, but at this point nobody cares anyway so screw it.

Back on topic: I'm currenlty playing The Immortals of Terra: A Perry Rhodan Adventure. Mysterious plot that you put together piece by piece as the game progresses, logical puzzles (though mostly on the easy side), good presentation. I'm about halfway through and enjoying it so far. Game experience may change for the better/worse if you're familiar with the setting, which I was not.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Mareus said:
The Rambling Sage said:

You know, it would help if you could provide a link where we can acquire the game without removing anything from the inventory. I doubt anyone supports the game anyway.

I bought a copy on eBay for $3. It' so cheap, it's not worth pirating.

Edit: eBay US Link. $3 and free shipping, if you live in the US. I'll wager it's just as cheap elsewhere.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Post Mortem is good. It's more amibitious than Still Life in that it tried to be non-linear. As an RPG fan has to be used to playing "flawed gems" of the RPG genre, I'd recommend trying Post Mortem, too.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
The Rambling Sage said:
You should try The Lost Crown: A Ghost Hunting Adventure. Very well done horror games, the former with a very "lovecraft" style and some pretty original mechanics, the later with a strong "Twilight Zone" vibe.

Lost Crown has its moments, but man the voice acting is atrocious. It's a nice change of pace, though. Interesting artwork and premise. You might want to give The Longest Journey or Syberia a whirl, though both are a bit heavy on dialogue and drag in spots.

You can't go wrong with some of the older LucasArts games. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is one of my favorites.

darthdarther

Novice
Suchy said:
I'm kind of interested in Gray Matter - by Jane Jensen. I really liked Gabriel Knight series for their stories (except some idiotic puzzles in GK3, but GK1 is imo the best adventure ever), so it might turn out interesting.

Have you read any of the novelizations of Gabriel Knight? By far the worst writing I've ever paid good money for. I started laughing when I heard she was becoming a full-time novelist, but her later work is a lot better than any of the GK books. Guess ten years is enough time to improve.

I'm interested in Gray Matter, too, but that was a terrible trailer.

Data4

Arcane
Bladerunner, since no one mentioned it in this thread yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom