Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me some RTS games?

Twinkle

Liturgist
Hostile Waters. Although it's hardly a generic RTS.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Second Battlezone and Homeworlds. And maybe DoW1.
I liked RTS much a decade or so ago but now I can't recommend many of them because they don't do it for me anymore - however Battlezone and Homeworlds deserve a mention because they aren't typical RTS. Just ignore BZ2 - it was shit. BZ1 gets bonus points for its programmer now making patches for it. A fun first-person RTS with varied missions (RTS part was nerfed in BZ2)

Carceri

Arcane
Give Dark Reign a go, you won't be disappointed. I haven't played the sequel so I'm only referring to the original.

I haven't played these games since Tiberian Sun. It wasn't a bad game as RTS's go.

What do the RTS nutters think of all the iterations after TS? Any decent games made?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Blackadder said:
I haven't played these games since Tiberian Sun. It wasn't a bad game as RTS's go.

What do the RTS nutters think of all the iterations after TS? Any decent games made?

RA2 has a pretty good SP campaign, but AI is worse.
EBFD is OK, although not as good as previous Westwood's games.

All following sequels are awful.

circ

Arcane
I've played the Homeworlds to death, so that's out. Playing some more of Tib Wars, and nothing about it feels like it was made in 2007, except maybe some fancy particle effects. I wouldn't mind an innovative RTS hybrid like Stronghold (the old SSI published one, not the new one).

L'ennui

Magister
Rise of Nations? The risk-like campaigns were nice and the actual RTS gameplay is good too, with lots of nations to choose from and interest city-based expansion mechanics.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Is there a widescreen or resolution mod for dark reign. I played the shit out of it when i was a kid and iirc correctly the resolution was 640x480. (unplayable on modern lcd's)

1eyedking

Erudite
Darth Roxor said:
NO. Yuri's Revenge is Fallout 3 level retarded.
That much? Why?

Give Dark Reign a go, you won't be disappointed. I haven't played the sequel so I'm only referring to the original.
I second this. Dark Reign is worth a try, though nothing that'll blow your mind.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
You know, when i was a kid i used to remember those dirt cheap mags that had disks and i remember every other week i'd have a new demo disk FILLED with loads of new demos to quirky and arcane strategy games.

This was before i had a 3d accelerator so i used to live off playing 2d adventure and strategy titles.

3d killed the RTS star.

1eyedking

Erudite
fizzelopeguss said:
3d killed the RTS star.
Nah, that's like saying 3D killed graphic adventure games: we all know that genre killed itself out of stagnation. If anything 3D can be viewed as an opportunity.

The console crowd...now that killed RTS games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
RTS games killed themselves through the lack of innovation. Console crowd has little to do with it - RTS are even less playable on consoles than shooters. Although EA did try to make that shitty Tiberium Wars fit in by slowing down everything to a turtle crawl so consoletards will have enough time to select units.

Topher

Cipher
Ulminati said:
Starcraft 2 is quite amusing. Dawn of War was good too. The winter assult campaign for DoW1 is quite fun and criminally short. Homeworld series is a must-play. Some of the total war games were quite good. Personally I preferred Shogun, but YMMV. Dawn of war 2 was ok, even if highly overrated. I was not a fan of the World of Warcraft wannabe item drops and boss battles.

I'm playing it right now and the boss battles really aren't much fun.

1eyedking

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
RTS games killed themselves through the lack of innovation. Console crowd has little to do with it - RTS are even less playable on consoles than shooters. Although EA did try to make that shitty Tiberium Wars fit in by slowing down everything to a turtle crawl so consoletards will have enough time to select units.
"Console crowd" is an umbrella term for twitch-happy idiots who just like to see things exploding everywhere in a bloom-filled screen without any regard whatsoever for the actual mechanics and/or aesthetic approach of the game as long as it's got the shiniest graphics or the biggest hype.

You know, the fuckers who play Supreme Commander and understand fucking nothing about it's complete lack of artistic quality or interesting gameplay mechanics; or play screen savers such as WarCraft III's idiotic mods like DotA and Tower Defense (and even dumber derivatives such as Demigod). Or StarCraft II (when, you know, there's still the much better original StarCraft).

There's been plenty of innovation in the RTS field when compared to genres such as RPGs and FPSs that have been stuck in the same formula for about a decade. Take games like Majesty, DoW, Company of Heroes, Rise of Nations, Age of Empires III and WarCraft III for example. They all had something new and exciting that made them worth trying out.

Now try to name a game of another kind that introduced some cool & new mechanic (that weren't shitty like fake C&C, health regeneration, and the completely idiotic cover system) in the last 10 years or so (with the exception of Diablo perhaps, Operation Flashpoint and Battlefield 1942).

Multi-headed Cow

DoW1 introduced regenerating health in the form of overwatch. There you go.

SoupNazi

1eyedking said:
Now try to name a game of another kind that introduced some cool & new mechanic (that weren't shitty like fake C&C, health regeneration, and the completely idiotic cover system) in the last 10 years or so (with the exception of Diablo perhaps, Operation Flashpoint and Battlefield 1942).

Half-Life 2 and the first use of physics as a game mechanic.

Oh uhm ... looks like I'm done. :?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
1eyedking said:
Darth Roxor said:
NO. Yuri's Revenge is Fallout 3 level retarded.
That much? Why?

Starting with the time travelling back to dinosaurs, for instance. Then there's the level in Hollywood where you can rescue 'action movie actors' who are better at killing people than a level 3 SEAL. Another map where you're hired by Bill Gates to protect his company building. Hypnotised civilians saying 'Needs of the many are outweighed by the needs of the Yuri'. Mission on the moon with kosmonauts with jetpacks and lasers. Most units have new voices which are mostly stupid. Mummies come out of pyramids in the Egypt level. Soviets have the retardedly overpowered Boris who can take out tanks with a Kalashnikov and call airstrikes on buildings. Mission briefings are also simply stupid. And I probably forgot to mention a lot of stuff here, as I remember my intelligence being constantly insulted while I was playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom