Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me some RTS games?

circ

Arcane
I've been playing them exclusively for 2 weeks now.

Replayed AOE3, and even tried out Asian Dynasties. Kinda shit units, but good voicing and jap campaign units weren't so bad.

Also tried Opposing Forces. Pretty shitty compared to CoH. Shame CoH wasn't expanded like the General series from SSI to include a pacific campaign etc.

Nothing too old like Dune 2. Maybe I'll reinstall Tiberian Sun. Tiberium Wars any good? I've got Battle for Dune somewhere, don't think it was that good. SupCom any good? I hear the units look like ass and unimaginative.

1eyedking

Erudite
Cnctd-win-cover.jpg

I recently replayed Tiberium Wars Tiberian Dawn and was surprised to find some missions having puzzles in them. It was fun to actually find myself thinking in a RTS game for a change.

Quilty

Magister
Ground Control 2 was good.

Dune 1 was really interesting.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Well, i always recommend trying Majesty and Mechcommander.

As for more classical ones, yes, Tiberian Wars is ok, it has considerable ammounts of next-gen infestation, but it is playable.

SoupNazi

The last good RTS I ever played was the original Tiberian Sun.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
circ said:
Also tried Opposing Forces. Pretty shitty compared to CoH. Shame CoH wasn't expanded like the General series from SSI to include a pacific campaign etc.

Nothing too old like Dune 2. Maybe I'll reinstall Tiberian Sun. Tiberium Wars any good? I've got Battle for Dune somewhere, don't think it was that good. SupCom any good? I hear the units look like ass and unimaginative.

Tiberium Wars isn't bad, and SupCom is quite good in my opinion. A lot of the TA diehards were disappointed by SupCom, but I thought it was an improvement. Just stay away from SupCom2: I've heard nothing but bad things about it.

Oh, and get Starcraft 2 :D. I just finished the campaign on Brutal last night, and got my lovely Kerrigan portrait.

chzr

Scholar
1eyedking said:
Cnctd-win-cover.jpg

I recently replayed Tiberium Wars Tiberian Dawn and was surprised to find some missions having puzzles in them. It was fun to actually find myself thinking in a RTS game for a change.

tiberian dawn is imho one of the best rts ever made

edit:

tiberium wars maintains good c&c gameplay if you don't mind retconned story.

emperor is a good game if you forgive dated graphics.

Except other things mentioned, you may try dune2000, which is basically a dune 2 clone with c&c gameplay.

made

Arcane
DoW is an obvious candidate if you liked CoH.

Homeworld (all) are must-play if you haven't yet.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Starcraft 2 is quite amusing. Dawn of War was good too. The winter assult campaign for DoW1 is quite fun and criminally short. Homeworld series is a must-play. Some of the total war games were quite good. Personally I preferred Shogun, but YMMV. Dawn of war 2 was ok, even if highly overrated. I was not a fan of the World of Warcraft wannabe item drops and boss battles.

Ashery

Prophet
Of the RTS games mentioned that I have an opinion on:

TA is probably my favorite for when I have an itch to rape an AI with long range artillery.

WZ2100 has an excellent campaign mode. You have a persistent base map that grows in size as you progress through the missions as well as away missions where you have to fly troops in from your main base. Also, the tech tree is absolutely massive. Every other game pales in comparison in that regard. WZ has customizable units as well. Graphics will likely seem dated due to being one of the earlier 3d RTSs.

Earth2150 is a reasonably good game with a campaign a bit similar to that of WZ but I never got that far in it. Smaller tech tree, bit more unit customization (Attaching guns to major base structures, for instance), but overall not quite as good as WZ.

Ground Control is a good RTT game (No base building), where "special abilities" are limited in quantity rather than on a fucking cooldown (Special abilities include things like a portable radar that can be placed, defensive turrets, anti-tank rockets for infantry, etc). Never played the second.

Of the Total War series, I'd definitely stick to Shogun. I've primarily played the EB mod for R:TW and the original M:TW, but both of those are bogged down by their larger maps. I often jokingly referred to R:TW as Rome:Total Logistics after I broke twenty or so territories due to how poorly the engine handles the control of large armies.

Kohan is damn nice if you don't mind sticking with skirmish games instead of playing the campaign. Played through the campaigns of KIS and KKoW and both were pretty bad, especially the latter as it gets you in some very bad habits for multiplayer/skirmish games. A fairly steep learning curve if you're looking into playing online, but that's largely dead.

circ

Arcane
Ok I tried Tiberium Wars. Holy shit what a piece of shit. It's like playing an Amiga game. Horribly done interface gfx and all the units look lame as hell. Tiberian Sun looks better than this shit on high settings and its over 10 years old.

1eyedking

Erudite
The first four C&C games rule.

C&C Tiberian Dawn (+XP)
C&C Red Alert (+XPs)
C&C Tiberian Sun (+XP)
C&C Red Alert 2 (+XP)

You can't go wrong with those. Excellent music, cool cutscenes, and very different settings and atmosphere. Find C&C The First Decade somewhere, install the four, download the unofficial patch and don't look back - those alone should entertain you for hours.

If you need more go for StarCraft (+XP), maybe WarCraft III (+XP).

DoW Dark Crusade is also a must if you haven't tried it, the campaign mode is quite good and unique, though it'll feel a little weak when compared to multiplayer vanilla CoH which was pure awesome - skip the original DoW and Winter Assault (try Soulstorm later, the two added factions are lacking). Opposing Forces and Tales of Valor are pure shit, as you mentioned, so don't bother with the latter.

If you can stomach Microsoft's corporate blandness go for Microsoft's Age of Empires II and Age of Mythology, they're decent fun for a while. If you like the vibe try Age of Empires III out, but bear in mind the campaigns are boring as shit - go straight to skirmish/MP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom