Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me some RTS games?

1eyedking

Erudite
Darth Roxor said:
Oh yeah, btw? Nobody mentioning Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat is :decline: of the year.
What?

L'ennui

Magister
Sceptic said:
commie said:
Actually the first two Battlecry games came out before Warcraft 3.
I think L'Ennui was being sarcastic.

Actually I meant to write "before Warcraft III", only now noticed that I wrote the opposite. ANYWAYS, WARLORDS BATTLECRY FUCK YEAAAAAAA

I always went with a necromancer, quite potent stuff.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
L'ennui said:
ANYWAYS, WARLORDS BATTLECRY FUCK YEAAAAAAA

Love that game, I personally prefer campaign from second game although third one is more complex. Only thing I was afraid in WB was high level assassin heroes, their assassinate skill was a pain.

Also four pages and no one mentioned Warhammer Shadow of the Horned Rat or Dark Omen but Dawn of War is mentioned in every second post, talk about decline.

Murk

Arcane
Play Shadow of the Horned Rat if you want to just fucking CRY WHEN YOU COME ACROSS THAT DRAGON HOLY FUCK WTF BRO

Yuri's Revenge is kind of a hit/miss event. It made the campaign retarded but made multiplayer a bit more interesting, and really -- that's where the fun is. It gave Allies some decent armor with the siege tank and anti-tank defenses that previously weren't much compared to Soviet tanks, and while Boris is indeed over powered and the Yuri Troops are like something out of a bad sci-fi flick, the gameplay was still good and expanded on RA2's style. In many ways it was like Fallout 2, had a lot of silly shit but assuming you were able to look past them, it offered a lot more content and possibilities.

Also, the actor who plays Yuri is this guy: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001424/

And he is fuggin' awesome.

Destroid

Arcane
I couldn't get past the last (or near) last level in Shadow of the Horned Rate - I think my mercenaries were just not in good enough shape at that point so I get raped by this giant Skaven army super fast.

I was pretty young when I was playing it, but it seemed a brutally hard game.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't SotHR use the warhammer CC system (turn based), making it a phased based RTS or whatever Baldur's Gate is.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
L'ennui said:
Sceptic said:
commie said:
Actually the first two Battlecry games came out before Warcraft 3.
I think L'Ennui was being sarcastic.

Actually I meant to write "before Warcraft III", only now noticed that I wrote the opposite. ANYWAYS, WARLORDS BATTLECRY FUCK YEAAAAAAA

After you mentioned them, I torrented the first one. I already had it boxed, but back in Australia and I never really played it much before(was more into C&C at the time). Forgot how neat it looked too with nice animations. I got beaten in the FIRST mission, because a major character died. Then I got beaten twice in the SECOND mission because I built up in the wrong order and ran out of resources, all the while the orcs coming to shit on me with ever better units!

Granted, I was playing by ear, without remembering how to build at first(forgot that your hero is the only builder at first), but STILL, to get raped on the first two missions was something that hasn't happened to me in RTS games for a very long time. AI of modern games and idiot proof resource amounts make it almost impossible to fuck up until at least 2/3 of the game!

L'ennui said:
We should start a Codexian Battlecry. Who here would be interested? If people are up to it, I'll spawn a new thread and see what's what.

I'll be up for it, once I figure it out again. It's just the kind of tough RTS a jaded player needed and had criminally forgotten about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom