Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Rebecca Heineman's Dragons of the Rip (formerly Dragon Wars 2)

Tigranes

Arcane
I am interested in someone who says "I made Dragon Wars and i will make a game" much more than in all the people that say "I have never done nothing and will make a Baldur's gate spiritual successor".

I haven't played it myself, but i have seen someone playing it several times and i remember of something relatively unique.

Anybody's better than beamdog... actually, that applies to nobody, not even beamdog now, who have several veteran modders on board at least.

himmy

Arcane
I'm impressed. Fifth page of this thread and only about 1/4 of the replies were about them being transgender. That's solid proof that the Codex is actually interested in this game.

Darkzone

Arcane
I'm impressed. Fifth page of this thread and only about 1/4 of the replies were about them being transgender. That's solid proof that the Codex is actually interested in this game.
Should it mean that drags cannot make games? Or that if drags make this game, the heroes in this game will all be also all drags? You are sexist against drags, himmy. You need some social correction education in a camp. Now it is 1/3.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also just discovered that Jaquays wrote the Central Casting character generation sourcebooks. Crazy stuff, I loved those books. Another good sign.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

"This" game ? :lol:
What game ? For now there's only spite and a name.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
aQXng.gif

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer

The Codex is renowned for its constructive discussions with transgender devs:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-rpg-on-kickstarter.77838/page-3#post-2365463

LOL! Nah, you guys are pretty shitty actually :)

You claim you are fans of RPGs, but you piss on the creative people that actually make them. I dunno, it is kind of like the 4chan of RPGs or something haha.

:incloosive:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

:lol: Yeah something tells me you need more than butthurt, for a successful Kickstarter.

I don't know why these old devs didn't make P&P RPGs and sell them on something like RPGNow. At least that way they could show they've still got it and build an audience.

Keldryn

Arcane
While I would absolutely love to see a Dragon Wars 2...

Upon further reflection, as interesting as a DW2 Kick-starter/Sequel is... who the hell really played that game? I played it, and some others did, but it really was the ass-end of the C64 era. It came out a year after Bard's Tale 3. Most people think of the shitty movie Dragon Wars that came out in 2007. How much hullaballoo can this really generate?

I think this one will be a hard sell, as it's an obscure developer pitching a sequel to an obscure game. She can play up her contributions to The Bard's Tale series, but that's still over 25 years ago.

In my opinion, Dragon Wars was a vastly superior game to The Bard's Tale I-III in every conceivable way. It's one of my favorites of that era. But even many veteran RPG players aren't familiar with it.

Here's hoping that she's been considering this for a while and didn't just scrap together a plan after Fargo announced The Bard's Tale IV.

I also just discovered that Jaquays wrote the Central Casting character generation sourcebooks. Crazy stuff, I loved those books. Another good sign.

Yup. I've still got this one:

51OorPhtB7L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Used it all the time for our D&D characters back in the day. It was mostly awesome, although there was some truly weird shit in there. I also recall there was a table of mental afflictions/disorders, which included... some things that I bet she has changed her stance on since then. ;)

Jaquays did a fantastic job in designing non-linear dungeons, as examined in: http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/13085/roleplaying-games/jaquaying-the-dungeon

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
While I would absolutely love to see a Dragon Wars 2...

Upon further reflection, as interesting as a DW2 Kick-starter/Sequel is... who the hell really played that game? I played it, and some others did, but it really was the ass-end of the C64 era. It came out a year after Bard's Tale 3. Most people think of the shitty movie Dragon Wars that came out in 2007. How much hullaballoo can this really generate?

I think this one will be a hard sell, as it's an obscure developer pitching a sequel to an obscure game. She can play up her contributions to The Bard's Tale series, but that's still over 25 years ago.

In my opinion, Dragon Wars was a vastly superior game to The Bard's Tale I-III in every conceivable way. It's one of my favorites of that era. But even many veteran RPG players aren't familiar with it.

PS:T didn't sell much, but the sequel was funded based on near memory recollections on the game and word of mouth (and a lot of hype over "greatest rpg evah!." As you said DW2 is 25 years old, and probably sold less copies than PS:T. DW is vastly superior to BT1-3 in that... it came out later and was built from the BT franchise. It was supposed to be BT4. But without BT1-3, there wouldn't be a Dragon Wars, so it superiority is kind of a moot point.

It's also never shown up in an (as far as I know) top 25 list of RPG's. First they are going to have to inform people what Dragon Wars was THEN ask for funds. Like it or not, Bard's Tale won't have that problem.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Their best bet would be to wait for Fargo's KS to go forward and InXile to have produced a game (or at least be in Early Access) then for Heineman to pitch thier DW2 game on KS. Instead of competing with Fargo's BTIV they would be "riding on their coattails" so to speak. Such as "Here's DW2 brought to you by the original creators of The Bard's Tale I, II, and III and the inspiration for the highly successful KS Bard's Tale IV!!" or something along those lines.*

Competing with the Fargo Hype Machine is foolish. Use Fargo's successful KS* to help fund your own.

* with the caveat that BTIV will be successful, which isn't a given at this point.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-rpg-on-kickstarter.77838/page-3#post-2365463

You claim you are fans of RPGs, but you piss on the creative people that actually make them. I dunno, it is kind of like the 4chan of RPGs or something haha.
It's true but devs keep bugging us so we must be doing something right.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I am interested in someone who says "I made Dragon Wars and i will make a game" much more than in all the people that say "I have never done nothing and will make a Baldur's gate spiritual successor".

I haven't played it myself, but i have seen someone playing it several times and i remember of something relatively unique.
Problem is it's one thing to say it and another to do it. This seems entirely spurred by being jilted by Fargo.

Mustawd

Personally, I think it's a great way to troll:

Make a second game called Dragon Wars...include no dragons in the game....again.

Keldryn

Arcane

If only people would stop taking everything said to/about them online so seriously.

The correct way to respond when somebody says something mean to/about you online -- in the overwhelming majority of cases -- is very simple:

1. Laugh
2. Say "good one!"
3. Get on with your day

Angthoron

Arcane

On a related tangent, how's the development going with your game?

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer

Really good :D I posted an update at the end of the thread linked (with a link to the KS pages other updates). I didn't realize it had already been more than a year since I posted here!!

FeelTheRads

Arcane

We know more about it already than about BT4.

Dragon Wars 2, Story and engine by Rebecca Heineman, design by Jennell Jaquays and others that will announced soon

Yes, #dragonwars2 will import characters from dragon wars and bards tale I through III

:salute:

There was also a post about that it being with 6 characters or something but I can't find it now. Either they pulled it or I can't into twatter.

On the other hand about BT4 we know what? That it will totally be more like the classics than the new one?
Oh and the fact that it's more likely to be made, I guess.

Angthoron

Arcane

Really good :D I posted an update at the end of the thread linked (with a link to the KS pages other updates). I didn't realize it had already been more than a year since I posted here!!
Ah, good! The site linked in your signature hasn't been updated for a while, hence the question.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom