Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny HD (1.3) reviewed at RPGWatch

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Crooked Bee
What rating would you give it? A solid 0 out of 5?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Something like that, yeah :)

I'm gonna redirect that question to Darth Roxor for a more precise rating, though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Would you mind elaborating on these other problems a little bit? I ask because I have put off playing the original BoD because going back from some of the improvements in Star Trail (only being able to target in straight lines) and SoR was pretty painful the first time I tried. I was really hoping that at least when this game was fully patched it would be a nice way to play Blade of Destiny with some UI improvements.

There are SOME welcome UI improvements all in all, like you don't have to look for a specific sign post to go in a specific way you want, now all signposts in towns lead everywhere out of a city.

But the UI improvements are absolutely irrelevant when you witness some of the redesigns and rebalancings. Dungeons are remade in various ways, some have been reshaped into literal corridors, others have had FUCKTONS OF SHIT ENCOUNTERS added to them, random encounters and ambushes happen almost all the time while you rest or travel, they added new fumble conditions that can only be described as anal, changed all spell ranges to 3, must have heavily fucked something up with ranged combat (and all numbers in general), etc. There are also things that look like improvements on paper, but in practice are SO HORRIBRU you wish you were playing the flawed mechanics of the original.

The number 1 example of the above is probably the new LoS mechanic. While in the original you could only fire/cast at people to whom you had a straight line of sight, now you can shoot diagonally and shit. But now this leads to hilariez (read: frustrating to the point of stupidity) scenarios, where an enemy archer can be surrounded and pounded every turn by 4 of your dudes, AND HE'LL STILL KEEP SHOOTING AT YOUR SQUISHY MAGES or whatever, and he has VERY HIGH ODDS of killing off the mages alone before your four dudes actually take him down because SHOOTING PENALTIES WHEN SURROUNDED WHAT DAT LOL.

Wait 1-2 weeks for my full article. There's much more stuff out there like that.

What rating would you give it? A solid 0 out of 5?

I give it a solid 10 out of 10 Gothic 4s. This abomination has honestly beaten Arcania on my shit list, and the hacks that brought this upon humanity deserve to be pilloried at the very least.

How appropriate that the reviewer of this unfinished game didn't actually finish it before submitting a review.

This majestic piece of craftsmanship doesn't deserve anything more. This "game" is a joke. It's an unfinished and unplayable mess that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
thesheeep fighting the good fight with his posts

Obviously, it's followed by the stereotypical rpgwatch response, aka burying head in the sand and seeing no evil while yelling "HAHA UR FROM CODEX, YOU FUNNY GUY!"

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Obviously, it's followed by the stereotypical rpgwatch response, aka burying head in the sand and seeing no evil while yelling "HAHA UR FROM CODEX, YOU FUNNY GUY!"

To be fair, five people responded, three of whom responded in this fashion, one of whom was the guy who wrote the review. The other two backed thesheeep up.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

To be fair, five people responded, three of whom responded in this fashion, one of whom was the guy who wrote the review. The other two backed thesheeep up.

Hush. Gotta keep the sensationalism running :troll:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
By that logic, all Telltale games should at most get a 2/5.

Is...is joxer talking about New Vegas here?

joxer said:
TheSHEEEP said:
countless bugs… annoying… no developer or publisher who releases a product like that deserves any kind of support.

You do realize you're describing another game? The one you've probably bought both DLC afterwards. The one you've voted to get GOTY award everywhere.

It's not even remotely comparable. I...what?

Also, that Fluent guy is really stupid.

Fluent said:
So, should they have picked the money to finish the game from the money tree, or what?

Who knows, the project may have been scrapped altogether if they didn't do what they did. After all, if the money runs out and there's no more development, that means no game. If that was the case then I'm glad they did what they did to get the game released.

Who cares if it's a mess, at least it got released.

Jesus christ, that place.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I don't know what game he was referring to either. What buggy Codex classic had two DLCs?

DeepOcean

Arcane
On the other hand, him being okay with a game that is literally unfinishable as released, and even going on to encourage people to buy and support the studio releasing such garbage, is something you can absolutely criticize him for.

"Welp, the product doesn't work whatsoever, 10 out of 10".
RPG Watch, man. After, giving RPG of the year award to Mass Effect 3,do you really think they have something close to good taste?

Koschey

Arcane
And Joxer I know how much you hate Skyrim but that game wasn't broken in any way.In very early version I completed every major quest like with only small annoyances so situation isn't really comparable.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061224877&postcount=69

Apparently, he means...Skyrim? :?

And I still can't wrap my head around it, how low does a game have to stoop to be considered below average at the Watch? Serious question. If even being an incomplete buggy mess is not enough, what more is there? 2/5 -> the game was never released; 1/5 -> it's not a game at all; 0/5 -> don't be silly, that would be MEAN!

Zeriel

Arcane
On the other hand, him being okay with a game that is literally unfinishable as released, and even going on to encourage people to buy and support the studio releasing such garbage, is something you can absolutely criticize him for.

"Welp, the product doesn't work whatsoever, 10 out of 10".
RPG Watch, man. After, giving RPG of the year award to Mass Effect 3,do you really think they have something close to good taste?

There's bad taste, and then there's "This car has no wheels, you should go out and buy it right now to show your support for the makers of this fine automobile!".

sser

Arcane
Developer
As someone playing through it, this review is, quite frankly, irresponsible.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is it turn based?
Real time exploring, turn-based missing of attacks.

The humour aside, this itself makes it better than Fallout 3/NWN1-2 etc. I will chalk up the butthurt to usual codex angst.

possibly_retarded.png

m_s0

Arcane
Is it turn based?
Real time exploring, turn-based missing of attacks.

The humour aside, this itself makes it better than Fallout 3/NWN1-2 etc. I will chalk up the butthurt to usual codex angst.
If you want humour read this:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...leased-soon-on-your-xbox-ps3-too.80056/page-8
and this:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...hd-remake-released-in-unplayable-state.85179/

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom