Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. It has come to this administration's attention that brofists are divisive, and encourage the formation of agenda-based brofist cliques. The RPGCodex strives to provide a welcoming forum experience for all fans of the genre, and brofists are hindering this mission's success. In light of this, brofist functionality has been removed so as to create a new, better, Codex browsing experience.

We further advise our members not to attempt circumvention of this removal by reverting to the old and just as divisive method of creating empty posts of "+1" and "what he said." Such posts only seek to further a culture of exclusion where select users may end up feeling discomfort or emotional trauma. These posts will be considered spam and thus a banable offense. The Codex administration seeks to provide a safe and secure posting environment where the needs of the minority outweigh the needs of the agenda-reproducing majority.
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shovelware Alert: Realms of Arkania HD Remake released in unplayable state

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Crafty Studios; Realms of Arkania HD Remake

Earlier this week, a recently joined user by the name of Bobbles informed us that Crafty Studios' Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny HD Remake had received some kind of early release in Germany. Here's what the game's German players found out:

Problems with the gold version according to various German forums:

- no intro
    - no battle sounds
    - all weapon models looks like crossbows
    - most NPCs look like skeletons
    - trying to cast a spell gives the message "spell not implemented"
    - snow textures are broken
    - walking sounds are placeholders/unbearable to listen to

The release day patch was pushed out early on Saturday at 10 p.m. local time (at least they're dedicated!), but it doesn't fix most of these issues - only weapon models and walking sounds have been completely fixed. The game is still unplayable and crashes frequently with messages like this:​
    Code:
    Failed executing javascript(Syntax Error: Mismatched closing token in expression):
    function hasresponse(which){return(which==1)||getQuestState("schick_call')==2;);) of Magistrat Thorwal[2]
    Further current issues:

- button hotspots aren't centered on the actual buttons
    - map turns black indoors, stays black when going outdoors (workaround available)
    - Many NPCs have holes in their heads
    - only one save game slot with fixed name
    - save game (singular) randomly deletes itself
    - heroes in-game don't look like they do in the editor
    - you start with infinite money, which randomly resets to normal during gameplay
    - random events and random battle on the overland map don't seem to work
    - hard crash trying to enter Daspota

The lead dev has announced a "new" release day patch for Tuesday, though it will obviously only represent a few days' work of bugfixing by a small studio... probably not a good 0-day purchase.​

Despite these problems, the game was officially released on Steam today. Here's what players on Steam found out:

[​IMG]

Holy crap. :lol: Have I mentioned that as of this writing, the game doesn't support English unless you manually rename folders?

Stay far away from this one, folks. Although you might want to keep following our thread about it, because it's sure to be hilarious.
    ^ Top  
  2. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Learn German, scum.
    :troll:
    ^ Top  
  3. Mortmal Magister

Mortmal
    I had no interest at all into this, now i do ! One hilarious trainwreck to enjoy.
    ^ Top  
  4. Jesse_Dylan Literate

Jesse_Dylan
    I'm so depressed. Came here on a whim while I wait for the game to install (bought it before it came out). Why was I so stupid to purchase this? I was happily enjoying Shadowrun Returns and thought, "yay, another tactical, turn-based RPG, and heck, I never did play the originals when they first came out! I'll have some faith and support this kind of game with a pre-purchase!"

Might as well cancel the install.
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Contact Valve and ask for a refund. The game is in a bad enough state that there's a good chance they'll grant it.
    ^ Top  
  6. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer

Vault Dweller
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Fixed. :rpgcodex:

BTW check out this guy on the GOG forums: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/realms_of_arkania_blade_of_destiny_hd_out_this_month/page13

Team Gizka says hi.
    ^ Top  
  8. Jesse_Dylan Literate

Jesse_Dylan
    I will do that. I think even if the bugs were fixed and the game were in English, it would still be an absolute shambling monstrosity. I guess it will be a fun trainwreck for people to review, though. (You know, those reviews that become must-reads just because the game is so horrendously, hilariously poorly put together.)

I fumbled through the title screens, managed to figure out which icon to click to leave the temple of the undecipherable name, saw a woman with no neck talking to a man who looked worse than a giant-sized, same-poly character from the first 3D Populous (PSOne-era), heard my walking steps echo loudly on the grass, watched the trees wiggle wildly as the frame-rate shuddered, and managed to quickly find the exit icon and uninstall.

It would have been so nice to play an actual, decent remake. I wouldn't care if the character graphics were bad if the rest worked... :/

Off to e-mail Valve.
    ^ Top  
  9. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    That only means the devs can stop giving a fuck.
    ^ Top  
  10. GrimoireFTW Learned

GrimoireFTW
    ^ Top  
  11. Bruticis Prophet

Bruticis
    Oh, you mean another game the kodex called the incline of the industry is shit? NO WAI!!!!
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    ^ Top  
  13. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Next time send skyway, he's at least funny.
    ^ Top  
  14. Bruticis Prophet

Bruticis
    Guilty as charged (but waiting for massive sale which looks to be soon).
    ^ Top  
  15. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer

Vault Dweller
    Hard to expect much from a remake, especially when there is nothing wrong with the original. They are nothing but soulless cash-grabs by default, kinda like Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.
    ^ Top  
  16. Ramireza Learned

Ramireza
    ^ Top  
  17. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    What a clusterfuck. This is the worst thing to ever happen in German history.
    ^ Top  
  18. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    It's the knife in the back thing again.
    ^ Top  
  19. codexian reject Savant

codexian reject
    Wasteland 2
    It doesn't have to be the case, if "sold (surprisingly) well" mean well enough to make a remake for part 2 and 3 attractive.
    ^ Top  
  20. undecaf Arcane

undecaf
    So much for the German efficiency.
    ^ Top  
  21. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    All of those pics were taken in "Fantastic!" quality. It goes from "Tolerable" to "Fantastic", if you're wondering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The piggy on the other hand, is beautifully anmiated. It's potato game, alright.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  22. circ Arcane

circ
    Is this that german game that got a bunch of german press sometime last year? Or was that something new in the Dark eye uni?
    ^ Top  
  23. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer

Vault Dweller
    Sadly, Morka is yet to embrace the principles of communism and start selling weapons for free.
    ^ Top  
  24. Bobbles Unwanted Dumbfuck

Unwanted
    The lead dev has been dropping hints about offering more classes from the PnP rule set in the future. My guess is that they're going to offer new content as paid DLC; the devs make 99% of their money through browser game cash shops already.

They also promise daily patches for the next month, which makes no sense for a cash grab in the traditional sense of the word.
    ^ Top  
  25. Bobbles Unwanted Dumbfuck

Unwanted
    There are currently four German DSA games in development: Blackguards, Memoria, Realms of Arkania 1, and Demonicon. All are slated for a 2013 release.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)