Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Real-Time Strategies set in space

L'ennui

Magister
Don't bother with Orb. It has prohibitively SLLLLOOOOWWWW gameplay. Now some of us turn-based fans might initially think this is a good thing, but that's before realizing that it takes 20 minutes for your ships to get to the enemy. Too bad, really, since otherwise there were some interesting gameplay elements, such as the battlefield evolving due to the fact that you had to keep up with passing asteroids as they slowly went through the map, harvesting them for resources as they pass along. But really, it's all way too fucking slow for the player to give a shit. Also, was very buggy.

Black_Willow

Arcane
I found a game called "Genesis Rising", where you control a fleet of organic ships and upgrade them via mutations using blood as resource. The gameplay is quite generic, yet the game is worth checking for its art and some quirky concepts.

AI War: Fleet Command

Great game. Get it. They just released a pretty big new update for it.

AI_War_Fleet_Command1.jpg

I would post screenshots, but the images don't do the game any justice.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stereotypical Villain said:
Hey, atleast i got to play the three first missions before the game crashed during the fourth. Kinda sucks too, since i was really keen on seeing what the commando squad found inside that station. :(

Also, i belive the problem i'm encountering is OS related. The problem could probably be circumvented if i had a save from the fifth mission, but hey what'd i know. TPB here i come (for the first damned time in my life).

Once you go there, there is no turning back.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
dragonfk said:
Conquest:Frontier Wars is a pretty fun game.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/con ... ead-review

I actually bought this game.

Anyone want to play online?

mikaelis said:
ORB is probably worth a try (though still below Homeworld).

As for something new and actually not so known:

"Far Gate" - AfAIK fully 3D RTS in space from some french independent developer. Appeared soon after Homeworld 1. I actually bought it while on holiday abroad, but were never able to start it due to some major bugs.

"Outforce" - I think it is pseudo 3D, which means that the fleet is represented in 3D, but the action is from overhead 2D perspective. Not 100% sure though. Never played or bothered.

EDIT:::::

Just came to my mind not-so-bad-but-not-as-good 3D RTS space game "Starmageddon" (2002) - basicaly Homeworld clone from what I have heard. Don't know whether it was released outside Poland though....

EDIT2:::::

Yeah I guess it was under the name "Project Earth: Starmageddon". Some positive review in "gameshit":

http://archive.gamespy.com/reviews/july02/pe/

Outforce sucked fucking terribly, dont even touch it. It's just Total Annihilation but with 20 unit per side.

I remember seeing an add for Starmageddon, except it was only called Project Earth at the time. I thought Far Gate was another space sim when it came out.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
RaXz said:
Conquest looks good, I fell almost a sleep when I played Sins of a Solar Empire.

Nexus is fun, it was to be the sequel to Imperium Galactica 2, only the tactical combat remained.

Heh, same here.

Conquest is way more fast paced, although honestly I think Sin's solar system setup is better since you can't camp gates. Although camping gates doesn't really do any good once they micro your defenses before they can react (even the AI does this).

Also be wary of enemy ion cannons.

L'ennui

Magister
Conquest: FW was pretty good. It was like Starcraft in space, with races blatantly ripped off, but I didn't give a shit because I always thought Starcraft in space would be awesome. And awesome it was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom