Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Real-Time Strategies set in space

Black_Willow

Arcane
Do you know any? I played Homeworlds, Nexus and even Hegemonia, but I want something new.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
ORB is probably worth a try (though still below Homeworld).

As for something new and actually not so known:

"Far Gate" - AfAIK fully 3D RTS in space from some french independent developer. Appeared soon after Homeworld 1. I actually bought it while on holiday abroad, but were never able to start it due to some major bugs.

"Outforce" - I think it is pseudo 3D, which means that the fleet is represented in 3D, but the action is from overhead 2D perspective. Not 100% sure though. Never played or bothered.

EDIT:::::

Just came to my mind not-so-bad-but-not-as-good 3D RTS space game "Starmageddon" (2002) - basicaly Homeworld clone from what I have heard. Don't know whether it was released outside Poland though....

EDIT2:::::

Yeah I guess it was under the name "Project Earth: Starmageddon". Some positive review in "gameshit":

http://archive.gamespy.com/reviews/july02/pe/

Raapys

Arcane
Torrent it and patch it up, maybe it'll run better then; buy it if you want to after you've seen if it works or not.

Not really a great game though( imo ), just mentioned it since no one else did.

The Steam version of Nexus: TJI is completely broken for some people (including me). It's a shame too, i was looking forward to finally play that game.

flushfire

Augur
nemhain said:
I know it's not exactly strategy, but you can try Star Wolves. The game is not a masterpiece like Homeworld, but the small RPG elements a plus which kept me playing till the end.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwolves/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wolves
i second this

but dont be tempted to buy the 2nd game, it crashes every 10 secs, if not that then youd get slowdowns and horrible horrible ship docking and the thing was never patched. still isn't after 3 years.

also if you can make sins work, it'll be worth the effort. its a great game, the only thing lacking is a campaign.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Stereotypical Villain said:
The Steam version of Nexus: TJI is completely broken for some people (including me). It's a shame too, i was looking forward to finally playing that game.

That's what you get for buying the game. Had you acquired the TPB version as I recommended on that topic, you'd be enjoying the game.

DraQ

Arcane
The Steam version of Nexus: TJI is completely broken for some people (including me). It's a shame too, i was looking forward to finally playing that game.
Warez it and play warezed copy, you can still buy it if you come across the original.

Also, if anyone wants to extend the topic to space-sims - I recommend Frontier: Elite 2 and Frontier: First Encounters. :wink:

Hey, atleast i got to play the three first missions before the game crashed during the fourth. Kinda sucks too, since i was really keen on seeing what the commando squad found inside that station. :(

Also, i belive the problem i'm encountering is OS related. The problem could probably be circumvented if i had a save from the fifth mission, but hey what'd i know. TPB here i come (for the first damned time in my life).

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Hey, atleast i got to play the three first missions before the game crashed during the fourth. Kinda sucks too, since i was really keen on seeing what the commando squad found inside that station. :(

Also, i belive the problem i'm encountering is OS related. The problem could probably be circumvented if i had a save from the fifth mission.
Pirate it and stop being a pussy.

EDIT: at least I wasn't too much off.

DraQ

Arcane
Wait a minute, I think I recall having similar bug.

*rummage rummage*

Here.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Conquest looks good, I fell almost a sleep when I played Sins of a Solar Empire.

Nexus is fun, it was to be the sequel to Imperium Galactica 2, only the tactical combat remained.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom