Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rape. (new image at official FO3 site)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
aries202 said:
Bethesda's FO 3 game will be whole new ball game, and as such, it will be very different in style, but hopefully, they won't differ in content from FO1+FO2.
I would hope for the opposite, if I had hope that is.

roguefrog

Liturgist
Keep in mind that Southern California was a native desert before people moved in and started planting trees. Nuke it to hell and it will go back to being its old barren desert self.

I doubt the same can be said about the east-coast because of the different climate. (temperate with year around rain)

A scene from Logans Run, when they stumble upon the capital, its in the middle of a dense forest.

taxacaria

Scholar
roguefrog said:
A scene from Logans Run, when they stumble upon the capital, its in the middle of a dense forest.
And the final scene from Planet of the Apes in NY is in a desert.
Global climate can change during 250 years.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Nutcracker said:
Considering how many thousands of nukes the Russkies/Chinese have, there's no reason why they'd have to economise on targetting. They could afford to drop a dozen on DC.

Sure, if everyone just decided to fire everything they had. But did they? We don't have very much detail on the course of the nuclear exchange in FO. Except that it wsa something between enough to collapse civilization, and enough to destroy the biosphere.

Shoelip

Arbiter
AlanC9 said:
Nutcracker said:
Considering how many thousands of nukes the Russkies/Chinese have, there's no reason why they'd have to economise on targetting. They could afford to drop a dozen on DC.

Sure, if everyone just decided to fire everything they had. But did they? We don't have very much detail on the course of the nuclear exchange in FO. Except that it wsa something between enough to collapse civilization, and enough to destroy the biosphere.

Asured mutual destruction means just that.

taxacaria

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Actually the Earth will be uninhabitable within 20 years because of global warming.

edit- did I just figure out Bethesduh's plot twist?!?!

Bingo.
"And here is your quest, my son : Find the air condition chip." :D

Lumpy

Arcane
What's the point of an atomic war anyway? You can't really win unless you somehow take out all of the enemy's missiles, so what's the point?
Why target the capitol building? "Hey, if we destroy this, they'll be even more stupefied when they're blown to pieces and disintegrated, along with us."

taxacaria

Scholar
Lumpy said:
What's the point of an atomic war anyway?

See Cold War. See NATO doctrine. See WP doctrine. See Atomic Café.
During the 50s people had weird imaginations of a thermonuclear war.

filogreek

Scholar
What's the point of an atomic war anyway? M.A.D for one, silly realists...

Speaking of 'rape', we aren't allowed to talk about it, and other adult stuff, that isn't classed as PG 13 or under on the Beth forums. Talking about the concept of worldwide genocide and people's entrails flying all over the place is fine though :roll:

Lumpy

Arcane
The whole point of preparing yourself for an atomic war is preventing such a war. I doubt that even back then, people actually believed that such a war would occur.
Remove mutual destruction, though, and a nuclear war would be possible. What if a country discovered a way to stop nuclear missiles before they hit?

My point is, what's the objective in a atomic war with assured mutual destruction? If you know you're going to die, do you really care where the missiles hit?

Fez

Erudite
Nuclear war can be used as part of conventional war. I saw some of the old USSR's plans for using nukes if it came to war in Europe.

D

Scholar
Somehow I get the feeling bethesda could release a screenshot of NCR from Fallout and people'd say "omfg series = ruined" for at least 5-10 days afterwards.

As with Hellgayte, I'm not getting my hopes up. But, at the same time, I won't instantly decide that a game has no redeeming values simply because the pallette in a beta-period press graphic being used is green tinged rather than orange tinged.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
taxacaria said:
roguefrog said:
And the final scene from Planet of the Apes in NY is in a desert.

It depends on the nature of the bombs dropped, but the near complete desertification of all of north america would be very likely.

North Africa used to be the bread basket of the world, but if you cut all the trees down...then that's it. Now it's a giant sand pit.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
The whole point of preparing yourself for an atomic war is preventing such a war. I doubt that even back then, people actually believed that such a war would occur.
Remove mutual destruction, though, and a nuclear war would be possible. What if a country discovered a way to stop nuclear missiles before they hit?

My point is, what's the objective in a atomic war with assured mutual destruction? If you know you're going to die, do you really care where the missiles hit?

There is no point in global termonuclear war. But if you were phycotic enough to start one you'ed probably believe there was a point. So you probably would care what you targetted.

OverrideB1

Scholar
My understanding of the USSR's doctrine was that you got your atomic missiles in the air first, targetting "strategic sites" such as the Pentagon, SAC, and whatever else your strategists deemed "strategic" which would, I guess, include targets such as the White House. You'd already started to "hunker down" -- transferring your c&c to deep bunkers under some handy mountains nearby -- before the missles were launched in the hopes of riding out the inevitable retaliation pretty much intact.

I have little doubt that the 50's doctrine of the US was somewhat similar, just with different strategic targets.

And no, neither side would expend just 1 warhead on a target deemed strategic.

Edit: M.A.D., as a doctrine, didn't come about until the development of a secondary retaliation capability. Which, if my history isn't too rusty, wasn't until about 1959 and M.A.D. (as a proper doctrine) didn't come about until the 60's

taxacaria

Scholar
OverrideB1 said:
I have little doubt that the 50's doctrine of the US was somewhat similar, just with different strategic targets.

Right. Mao said, China has the biggest population, so China will have the most survivors.
The NATO doctrine of "flexible response" came later, but wasn't better at all.
I remember NATO plans to stop russian tank armies in Western Germany by nuclear attacks from France and GB to defend Germany by the price of nuclear contamination - LOL ( that scenario has been active 'til the end of the USSR), and I remember every few days some politicians are counting the western and eastern missiles, tanks etc. and found that the other side has some more.

toroid

Arcane
dagorkan said:
cracker-mutants

Hell yeah.

Is anyone familiar with the documentary Trinity and Beyond? It's narrated by William Shatner! You need to see it! Seriously though, I can't think of a documentary I enjoy more. The music alone is worth the price.

Mr.E

Novice
Bah. You're all missing the point. Look at the camera position. Beth's doing concept work from a bird's eye perspective... The rest of the image is just pointless filler to detract you from the obvious spoiler that it'll have a 3rd-person camera.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
has there been any indication yet that Fallout 3 might include a toolset ?

i really look forward to all those "New player race: Khashit Cat Mutant" and "New Companion: tribal male sex slave" mods !

taxacaria

Scholar
ricolikesrice said:
has there been any indication yet that Fallout 3 might include a toolset ?

i really look forward to all those "New player race: Khashit Cat Mutant" and "New Companion: tribal male sex slave" mods !
Pete Hines on modding options said:
Too early to say. Personally, I hope so. That would definitely be cool.

I think there will be a CS, because it's same engine as Oblivion has.
And so Bethesda will get user-made patches for free and many people will not notice the shitty support.

Imbecile

Arbiter
So would it be a better game with or without a construction set?

Bethesda have fucked up in a number of ways before, but I do get a little tired of the overly blinkered responses. Theres enough good reasons to criticize 'em without clutching at straws or jumping to conclusions.

A CS might allow a sloppy, bug ridden mess to be released - but lets face it a number of other games without CS's have fallen into that kind of category.

The first mod for Fallout 3 will be converted oblivion gunz!!11112 nice.

The seond mod for Fallout 3 will be converted oblivion townzzz!!11 cool.

The third mod for Fallout 3 will be converted oblivion npcs, questz and se dialogues!! yeah.

-
Now comes teh funney, those mods will be ze fullgame!

Okay the last sentence was a joke.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom