Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rape. (new image at official FO3 site)

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Drakron said:
Bryce, I hope you are not excusing that picture ...

Washington DC is the central command of the US Federal Administration, its a KEY TARGET ... I doubt there would be "near misses" since they will use Area Saturation Tactics.

Probably not, but in reality, would there be any survivors in a nuclear war?

Though actually if it were china, I doubt they could take out all of US.

according to fallout 2 it was china, when you enter the base I think,
you get a journal of the soldiers involved with invading china.

Gah, this is horrendous. Fallout is post-apocalyptic Californian desert and dusty leather leather jackets. Looks like they'll be turning on the green in this one, plenty of use for the SpeedTree I guess.

Drakron

Arcane
Jim Kata said:
Probably not, but in reality, would there be any survivors in a nuclear war?

Well you have the The Greenbrier hotel in West Virginia that hidden a US Government Nuclear Shelter for the Congress so its clear it was assumed that would be survivors, also that shelter construction started in the 1950's.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/lo ... brier1.htm

Though actually if it were china, I doubt they could take out all of US.

Yes, it was China and you are forgetting Fallout takes place after a nuclear that happened in 2077 and Fallout is the "future of the 50's".

Hellraiser

Arcane
Slenkar said:

Actually it's a GNN(IIRC) transcript, it contains some dates(the fallout bible says they're not exact) and gives background to the China-USA conflict. The war between China and the USA is mentioned first in the Fallout intro(...China invades Alaska...).

User was nabbed fit

Seriously though, does anyone really think Beth would put so much effort into making all these considerations? I think this is the one time I'd just like to look at some nice artwork without picking at details.

Now if it were something from the game, that might be different.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Has kind of an 'Escape from New York' look.

My theory:

Washington DC was not nuked, but was bombed with conventional weapons pretty badly, followed up by street fighting between commies and fascists. Maybe it wasn't the capital anymore and the 21st century American governments moved into some bunker in Idaho (and then on to the Enclave).

But, it is now deserted and was never resettled. Either there is some curse or danger (like a Deathclaw lair) or it's been taken over by some quasi-military group, maybe some kind of die-hard constitutionalist faction dedicated to preserving the institutions - or at least their physical manifestation. Maybe their goal is to start a movement of new, 'true Americans' (without the faults that led to their downfall) to recolonize the wastelands. Little kids are taken to the Smithsonian to be indoctrinated.

Most probably the interpretation of the constitution/American history which they have is wackily perverse.

Their HQ hangs out in the Whitehouse or Capitol and they run regular patrols to keep scavengers/mutants (who infest Rockville, Maryland - lol) outside the perimeter.

Personally I like the idea of DC in a Fallout setting.

The image itself isn't that good (bad photoshop, lacks atmosphere), and they haven't changed the awful music.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Slenkar said:
who gives a shit what Fallout 2 says.
Personally I like the idea of DC in a Fallout setting.
DC is a shithole already, no nuclear war required.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Looks more like what would DC look like if all of humanity disappeared five hundred years ago than what DC looks like if there ever was a nuclear war. I guess if there was a neutron bomb used because the Chinese wanted to capture the capital intact it would look about right.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
Red Russian said:
Since "towns" in the originals was located either in destroyed buildings or shacks, they could implement a tech called SpeedShack.

:D Of course you ar joking, but the idea has some merit. Would not be surprised if they actually used some device like that. By the way, I've seen Speed Tree mentioned here quite often as some kind of joke, but Speed Tree is a great invention. I mean, you could complain about much in Oblivion, but certainly not the trees.

Callaxes said:
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/index2.html

Green?

I was referring to the game being set in the East Coast, and possibly losing that post-apocalyptic Californian desert feel, not necessarily that everything will be 'green'.

piydek

Cipher
"Fallout 3: rebuild america, restore freedom and democracy from the horrible CCCP-mutant bastards after a nuclear strike role playing game"

at least i could have TRIED to play oblivion. but i feel that firing up FO3 is inevitably going to end up in a projectile-vomit over my monitor each time.

this is going to be an 'anti-"terrorist" game' :lol: . that'll be a great reason to cut down all but extremely good (pro-american) in-game choices.

Nedrah

Erudite
Well, apart from a bit of discussion in here that has nothing to do with the OP really, I think this thread is completely retarded.

Wohoo, everybody aboard the bitching train. Go up your codex cred!

The game will very likely turn out to be no true Fallout, granted, it may even suck as bad as Oblivion. However, the mindless shitstorm based on a picture that even looks pretty cool to me (screw your pseudo-nuclear-scientific bullshit) is nothing but childish and takes the fun out of the real shitstorms that we can have as we learn real details about the game.

Shoelip

Arbiter
What kind of "real details" are you waiting for? Almost all of the stuff released for Oblivion was meaningless hype and even outright lies. Why would they change a marketing strategy that worked so well?

Also, the capital building wasn't important enough to target?

Excrément

Arbiter
Nedrah said:
Well, apart from a bit of discussion in here that has nothing to do with the OP really, I think this thread is completely retarded.

Wohoo, everybody aboard the bitching train. Go up your codex cred!

The game will very likely turn out to be no true Fallout, granted, it may even suck as bad as Oblivion. However, the mindless shitstorm based on a picture that even looks pretty cool to me (screw your pseudo-nuclear-scientific bullshit) is nothing but childish and takes the fun out of the real shitstorms that we can have as we learn real details about the game.

I second that. ths pics is OK (doesn't look isometric of course but who ever think Bethsda was going to do an isometric fallout...), the problem is only the voice, the first proof the game is gonna suck.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Aside from the fact that the pic doesn't say Fallout at all, I repeat: The capital building wasn't important enough to target?

Nedrah

Erudite
We had plenty of details prior to the release of oblivion, just had to translate the marketing lingo into some real language - at the end of the day, the codex was such able to predict the disaster spot on.

Agreed about the voice actor thing, though - a first sign for the peachy things to come, indeed.

Excrément

Arbiter
Shoelip said:
Aside from the fact that the pic doesn't say Fallout at all, I repeat: The capital building wasn't important enough to target?
WHO CARES?
P.S : that's the problem of the codexers : they loose all their credibility in their judgement because they use any single argument (even if this argument is useless, mindless, careless...) to prove there are right.
StOP YOUR FUCKING BIAS, you are giving a service to Bethesda by destroying the litlle credibility the fallout fans still have.

Nedrah

Erudite
Shoelip said:

Look pal, we're talking about a game where mutants roam the lands and zombies run nuclear power plants. Who fucking cares about wether the white house got it's own nuke?
The only reason it'd be important after the nukes started falling would be a morale lowering one, anyway - and after a few nukes there tend to be too few people to take much notice of that - what with being busy puking to death or being vaporized right away.

So, no need to go all huge font on us, I saw it the first time - it just isn't all that relevant.

edit: what he said ^

Shoelip

Arbiter
That's not the whitehouse, it's the god damn capitol building. It's where all the legislaters work. The only reason I made that text so obvious was because you weren't paying any attention to it, but of course now you didn't pay any attention to the other text. This art is clearly meant to be depressing and serious in a way that Fallout never was, so the fact that the center of federal legislation in the US wasn't targeted makes the picture pretty stupid.

I guess that that wouldn't be common knowledge for europeans, hell it's not for most americans, so here's a link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Hill
What I'm saying is the it's neither a good Fallout style piece or a good nuclear bombing aftermath piece.

Excrement, you have almost twice as many posts as me, but you're not a "codexer" and I am? What the heck is a "codexer" anyway?

Excrément

Arbiter
Shoelip said:
Excrement, you have almost twice as many posts as me, but you're not a "codexer" and I am?

good question and I doubt I have a clear answer to give you. in many ways I am a codexer (I spend my boring time on this forum, fallout and daggerfall fan), in the other hand I don't buy the codex bullshit propaganda, AoD doesn't interest me and I used to be a Oblivion player on xbox360.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom