Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Digimon savers another mission (Digimon Data squad) has some really interesting mechanics but the level design is terrible. It's weird when one Digimon partner evolves 6 times in the same fight but it's jumping levels from child to adult and back again. Especially when you have it going from demonic beasts to plants and back randomly between them.

Reinhardt

Arcane
being more psychotic and evil than literal genocide murderloli - that's quite an achievement.

Puukko

Arcane
Action games are funny, because playing one makes you feel like playing another. I put Elden Ring on pause and picked up Scarlet Nexus again. I've been playing it on and off for a long while now, I could see myself finally sticking with it. It was a gift as well so there's extra incentive.

Hapa ethnostate surveillance dystopia with biopunk is how I'd describe the setting. And I swear officer, she's an adult, it's the combat drugs that keep her young. You get Persona style social links with very tangible combat rewards which is exactly how it should be done. What's funny is that you're simultaneously at war with some of these people so one moment you're trying to bash their face in, then you're discussing gardening. It's a delicate balance.

The combat got praise and yeah, it's fun and layered and you unlock more of the systems piece by piece. It revolves around making use of the team's special powers to overcome enemy strengths. So for the water enemy, electricity, for thr enemy that is only occasionally vulnerable, slow down time or go for an invisible ambush. The MC gets not one but two power up modes, though they each come with their drawbacks. The first one takes a long while to charge but then automatically turns on which easily becomes wasteful even if it ticks down more slowly outside combat. You actually need to get a plugin to be able to manually use it which I can't even get yet, and even then I don't know if it's worth sacrificing a slot for. The second power is manual but it can straight up kill you if you don't disengage on time and without skill point investment it's really not too useful.

What I'm most concerned about right now is whether the game will have enough unique areas. They've really been reusing them a lot, and there's an entire second route with a different character and if this keeps up I'll be sick of this damn mall area well before then. Meanwhile I'm wondering where exactly it'll go with what party members I'll get, because I briefly got to play with all of them before being locked off. The mechanics imply some kind of reunion but who knows. Not going to look it up regardless.

Crayll

Liturgist
What I'm most concerned about right now is whether the game will have enough unique areas. They've really been reusing them a lot, and there's an entire second route with a different character and if this keeps up I'll be sick of this damn mall area well before then. Meanwhile I'm wondering where exactly it'll go with what party members I'll get, because I briefly got to play with all of them before being locked off. The mechanics imply some kind of reunion but who knows. Not going to look it up regardless.
From what I understand playing the other protagonist's route gives you some more context on story events and some unique missions, but large chunks of it are the same. Personally I enjoyed the gameplay and setting, but not enough to hop right in to the other route after beating it once.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've been playing a bit of Path of the Midnight Sun every now and then, which I've had in my library since last year, only started recently with the 2.0 release. Solo dev project, definitely a labor of love and passion.
Half-traditional JRPG TB battling and half-VN. Neat ideas, cute hand-drawn visuals and bits and bobs. Features some strict time limit mechanics and actually can be really punishing in combat.
He went all out with professional voiceacting from industry veterans (even though it's in English), literally leaves 90% of recent AA Western RPGs in the dust when it comes to this.
Reminded me of another high quality solo project, Sunrider, although this one is much more high-fantasy.

I can make a thread for it if anyone is interested.

deuxhero

Arcane
Playing Final Fantasy Tactics A2 with "Shrike" romhack. Overall a big improvement that irons out a lot of the issues with FFTA2's original (very uneven growth rates, very uneven class ability balance), but it's still FFTA2 under the hood. One subtle tweak that goes a long way is that each tribe, bar human, has an innate elemental resistance and an innate elemental weakness. It makes elements so much more meaningful when they previously only really mattered with monsters or the very rare humanoid with an item equipped. It also makes shared jobs a bit more distinct than just what secondary abilities that it could have. The resistance might at first seem like it just makes some abilities worse against certain tribes, but the ability to resist allied splash damage is a lot more useful than you'd expect and lets you be more aggressive than you normally would.

As for FFTA2 itself: This game was always 3 steps forward 2 steps back from FFTA. It fixed some horrible balance (speed growth>>everything else, the 1HKO abilities are almost as accurate as anything else), the "300 quests" aren't as full of filler/non-interactive dispatch missions, the protagonist isn't as insufferable, the new jobs round out the less developed or mono-build tribes, the law system is changed from totally random things being totally forbidden to essentially bonus objectives (if you follow a per-battle law you're rewarded, if you ignore it you aren't actively penalized), the larger and more varied maps with a greater variety of objectives. On the negative, the two new tribes are both pretty monobuild, the protagonist isn't really the protagonist most of the time since he has no concrete goal and sits around watching other people with actual arcs, the non-generic characters look even more hideous in full detail and even less distinguishable at map size (generics generally look fine), and it waits for way too long before letting you recruit new party members.

There's also a lot of sidegrades or mixed bags: The loot and brazar system, where you get random components you can trade in to unlock new items at the shop, is an improvement over FFTA's relatively static shops and the original FFT's gear treadmill, but it still means gear progression is mostly random since its tied to random loot (each piece is used for multiple items), you don't know what an item does before you trade for it (easily avoided with save states, but still annoying because there's no real reason to not save beforehand and reload if the item demanding your only example of a loot item turns out to be useless to you. It's also really annoying to have key abilities (white mage's ability to cure stats effects, black mage's non-basic magic attacks) be unlocked at random. On the plus side, this randomness can get you to try out classes you normally wouldn't: This playthrough I got a lot of blades (the games have 25 weapon types and 9 are different classes of "sword") so I used Gladiator and Mog Knight when I normally don't bother with them. The Shrike hack helps here since it makes most classes have multiple weapon options instead of just one, freeing it of the issue where weapons were only used by a couple of classes and useless if you weren't actively using those classes (and worse, making those weapons judged entirely by their linked class: Cards could be the best weapons ever, but if only a single meh class uses them they're as bad as the class). Laws still aren't a particularly interesting mechanic and the new system is generally just "meh" (especially before you have backup members or a wide variety of abilities to work around some of the bigger restrictions) instead of actively a pain in the ass.

Edit: Forgot to mention the big new mechanic in A2 that's a slight improvement with its own issues, the new MP system. The idea of having each unit start a battle at 0 MP and gain 10 each turn is a good idea that does a lot of make lower level abilities and the item command (for popping ethers and no MP healing) more useful while making MP costs actually matter past the early game. The problem is that the game never really did enough with it, and it made speed even more important. Expensive abilities rarely justified using them over slow and steady ones or ones from classes with no MP cost for their ability even when you did have the MP for them. Half MP, MP Channeling, MP Efficiency and (worst of all) Blood Price made the mid-price abilities usable every turn at minimal cost. Again, the Shrike helps iron this out: More classes that normally have no MP cost to their abilities now have a few powerful abilities that cost 11+ MP (such as Thieves getting a Charm effect for 18 MP, or Fighter having their ranged attack ability now cost enough they don't beat Archers at their own game but still have it as an option) that are nice toolbox options you can't just spam. More costly spells are also improved.

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
beaten the main campaign of the Legend of Nayuta, game really feels like a rather mellow version of Ys, organised around a central hub from which you tackle bite-sized levels - there's some recycling involved, as you can switch seasons, reshaping the levels a little. there's very much flat progression and only two types of weapons, out of which one-handed sword is simply superior due to it's DPS, so the meat of your c&c is a good selection of spells you unlock as the game goes, able to hold 4 at once. much in the vein of Trails, you cook your own health rations, collect monster info in a journal, etc. power-ups and additional mechanics are unlocked by collecting stars, three per level - one for completing, one for gathering all collectibles, one for beating an additional challenge.

it's not morose, but not terribly hard either, i hope there are some meatier bosses in post-game. defo ok for casual platforming/hack&slashing, the plot is nothing special though. don't expect the usual full-sized anime Trails tend to have, it's far more subdued (although talky at times).

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Finished Sakura Taisen, Sakura ending.

Sakura Taisen's not the kind of "game" I usually have the patience to finish, the reason being in the scare quotes -- there's not much game here. Instead, you are playing an interactive anime structured like a season of a monster of the week tokusatsu show. There are 10 episodes, divided into two halves each. The first half consists of making timed responses to dialogue, and rationing room visits before the game advances to the next scene. The second half consists of a turn based tactical battle.

The two halves interact through "trust points" which are accumulated for each character. Basically, your squad members will respond either positively or negatively to your conversation choices which will either gain you or lose you trust points with them. Characters with which you build up a high amount of trust within the first half of an episode will have stat boosts for the second half. Trust points also determine who your waifu is for the last 3 episodes of the game and which ending you get.

While this is sound and good in theory, it simply doesn't matter for merely clearing the game, which is very very easy, and the game is not brisk enough for trying to find better routes through the scenes for larger stat boost pools or better rationing thereof by replaying episodes for low turn counts, at least not given my level of patience. Mind you, a large part of the game's sluggishness is due to load times, and perhaps alleviated in the Dreamcast or Windows (which had a Russian release) versions of the game. The other part of the sluggishness is due to the unskippable attack animations in the tactical battles. At least the developers allowed you to hurry the walking animations.

So, while it's not a bad game, it's not a good game either. It is however quite nice interactive media. I got as much, if not more, enjoyment out of it than I would have were it conveyed in actual anime form. I stuck through it because it really is very well produced and very charming. In terms of its art, it's from the same people who worked on You're Under Arrest (IIRC), one of my favorite mid 90s OVAs. So, if you like mid-90s anime and want to play a mid-90s anime, Sakura Taisen is for you.

Last edited:
Sakura ending

What about her appealed to you more than the other girls? I thought she was pretty bland and combative all throughout the game. It wasn't endeared to her at all by the time of the route fork.

The first half consists of making timed responses to dialogue

I thought that the timed dialogue choices were good at getting me to sit up and be more engaged during the VN sections. I thought it was interesting that remaining silent was not only a valid response, but also sometimes the correct one. There was also some creative uses like that prompt during battle where Iris demands that you recall the color of a hair ribbon she was wearing earlier. Made me start paying more attention. I'm surprised this idea hasn't been really used in more "serious" games. The later Sakura Wars also add a tricky dialogue choice mechanic where you have to control the volume/intensity of your response with the thumbstick.

is very very easy

Yeah, SW1 wasn't challenging. SW5 however has much more involved level/mission design (it was the precursor to Valkyria Chronicles), and the later missions were pretty difficult, particularly the airship defense mission.

Also, the soundtracks of the Sakura Wars games are pretty good.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
What about her appealed to you more than the other girls? I thought she was pretty bland and combative all throughout the game. It wasn't endeared to her at all by the time of the route fork.
Here is how I would describe the girls

Sakura -- Simple, humble Japanese countryside beauty. Likes to clean. Sumire's main enemy before Kanna joins.

Sumire -- Japanese princess type. Hides a good heart with a bitchy, high maintenance exterior. Likes to spend money.

Maria -- Serious Russian communist. Big oppai. Likes to cook. My second favorite girl.

Iris -- French 9 year old turning 10 pedo option. Annoying brat in her dedicated episode but otherwise just a cute stalker girl. Likes to nap.

Kohran -- Chinese nerd. Very easy to get along with. Likes to play cards. My other second favorite.

Kanna -- Butch Spanish karate practitioner. Very annoyingly translated to an "eyy Boss" type in the fan translation. Likes to eat.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Still grinding away at Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. Have been for weeks. I feel like I should hate this game. Infact I do hate it in many ways, but the combat is so satisfying and the game has alot of charm. It's easy to forget that you're just endlessly grinding and the grind is addictive as fuck. It's digital crack. Oh so bad but oh so good at the same time. Knocking a giant monster on it's ass with a charged up greatsword attack never gets old. It's an animal abuse simulator at heart.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Still grinding away at Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. Have been for weeks. I feel like I should hate this game. Infact I do hate it in many ways, but the combat is so satisfying and the game has alot of charm. It's easy to forget that you're just endlessly grinding and the grind is addictive as fuck. It's digital crack. Oh so bad but oh so good at the same time. Knocking a giant monster on it's ass with a charged up greatsword attack never gets old. It's an animal abuse simulator at heart.
The best part of Monster Hunter for sure is the satisfaction of beating a monster with a weapon made out of it's sibling's head so you can wear it's ass as a hat.

Machocruz

Arcane
Facts. The feedback, animation, terrain, music, AI make this the most exciting hunting in the series, imo. Still a lot for me to do in the base game. Haven't even fought Devilho yet, can't wait to make a pair of boots out of that asshole. Dual Blades rape monsters, it's disgusting. Working on maxing out a pair of Tobi Kadachi blades to go with my poison SA. Might also work on a SnS for Iceborne, the slinger turns into a damn shotgun with that.

And Spawn was always cringe. Todd writes like a 9 year old.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Haven't even fought Devilho yet, can't wait to make a pair of boots out of that asshole.
I hated fighting that prick but he's kind of a nightmare matchup for greatsword users. His size and speed make the timing on his hitboxes a bitch. I should probably make a smaller pair of weapons for fights like that. I still managed to craft some boots out of his asshole.

Damned Registrations

Haven't even fought Devilho yet, can't wait to make a pair of boots out of that asshole.
I hated fighting that prick but he's kind of a nightmare matchup for greatsword users. His size and speed make the timing on his hitboxes a bitch. I should probably make a smaller pair of weapons for fights like that. I still managed to craft some boots out of his asshole.
I hate that fucker too; he's too tall for a hammer to hit his face and does too much elemental shit for lance to feel comfortable. Maybe I should have tried longsword on him, but I actually hate it in MHW. Dodging into enemy attacks is so dumb and counter-intuitive, and every time you build your meter up to level three the monster fucks off to another zone and you're back to nothing by the time you catch up.

Puukko

Arcane
Lies of P surprised me positively. It may be the most competent Soulslike I have played, though the term "Fromlike" might be more appropriate given how obsessively this game imitates theirs. I should note I am writing this after raging at a later 3+1 gang bang boss fight for over an hour before giving up and putting it down for the night.

Bloodborne is the most obvious influence here, and there's a heavy horror atmosphere in several parts. There's an In-depth parry system a la Sekiro, and I think the area structure most heavily borrows from Demon's Souls, in how they're split and structured. Of note is the scarcity of bonfires stargazers, and focus on opening shortcuts, sometimes several leading to the same spot. But you will find elements that call back to basically every modern From game in one way or another.

What I think deserves praise is how well the game executes these aspects. It's lows aren't as low as those of the From games I've played, all of which have rather glaring flaws. It's remarkably consistent, like the devs knew what about those games worked and how to implement it in their game.

The downsides include spotty translation quality (weird phrasing and other ESL giveaways), less than stellar voice acting in many parts and some UX stuff. Fast travel and entering the boss room take too long, simply due to animation speed.

Pacing and atmosphere are excellent. I am interested in where the story is going, though it is a real blender of lots of tropes and familiar elements. Upgrades and new enemy types are introduced at an appropriate rate. Unlocking new music records is honestly my favorite part. It ties into the title of the game, which is actually a gameplay element. Sure took me by surprise.
There's lots of weapon variety and the non-special weapons can be split and recombined for different move sets and scaling. I've only tried a few and stuck with the ones that work. Don't bring a slashing weapon to a puppet fight when you could bring a massive wrench.

Damned Registrations

does too much elemental shit for lance to feel comfortable
I used lance a couple times, and it did ok with blocking other elemental attacks with a small bit of damage going through. Are his particularly nasty? I've never seen him use it any of the numerous times he interrupted my hunts.
I haven't played in a while, but I've got memories of lingering energy clouds and unblockable death beams. I forgot what dragonblight did but I recall that being annoying as well.

Machocruz

Arcane
SA has good reach and mobility in Axe form. I did test him when he invaded a couple hunts, it seemed to hit easy enough. But if he kicks my ass, that's fine, I only get annoyed when the story hunts give me problems.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
does too much elemental shit for lance to feel comfortable
I used lance a couple times, and it did ok with blocking other elemental attacks with a small bit of damage going through. Are his particularly nasty? I've never seen him use it any of the numerous times he interrupted my hunts.
He shoots out this red Godzilla style energy beam. I can't remember what elemental type damage it is. Dragonblight maybe.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Tried Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (PSP remake) today. It's veeery slooooooow. Almost impossible to play without at least 2x speed up. The game feels too formulaic of a JRPG, it's like you already know exactly how it will play out before even properly starting. It's one of those cases when you see there's nothing seriously wrong with a game, yet at the same time it gives you no incentive to continue playing it. Actually this is the second time that I tried getting into it, and again I'm leaving before making it through the first dungeon.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Project X Zone
Was checking out this one too some time ago. And honestly I don't see why it seems to be regarded so highly? The tactical layer is barebones, clashes are just mindless button mashing (the enemies just stay there idly while you are beating the living shit out of them), and story starts out too slowly. And last but not least, SEGA's character selection for this game is absolute dogshit. I have absolutely no idea who all those randos are. It seems like sega didn't have much hope for his game, and decided not to smear their good name by including their most iconic characters into it, in case it turns out bad? Or they used up all of their best characters for the earlier entries... I wonder if the previous games are any better.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Tried Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (PSP remake) today. It's veeery slooooooow. Almost impossible to play without at least 2x speed up. The game feels too formulaic of a JRPG, it's like you already know exactly how it will play out before even properly starting. It's one of those cases when you see there's nothing seriously wrong with a game, yet at the same time it gives you no incentive to continue playing it. Actually this is the second time that I tried getting into it, and again I'm leaving before making it through the first dungeon.
"this is second time i'm playing it. it's like you already know how it will play out"
:philosoraptor:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom