Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Tried Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (PSP remake) today. It's veeery slooooooow. Almost impossible to play without at least 2x speed up. The game feels too formulaic of a JRPG, it's like you already know exactly how it will play out before even properly starting. It's one of those cases when you see there's nothing seriously wrong with a game, yet at the same time it gives you no incentive to continue playing it. Actually this is the second time that I tried getting into it, and again I'm leaving before making it through the first dungeon.
"this is second time i'm playing it. it's like you already know how it will play out"
:philosoraptor:
Right? I said I didn't finish it the first time. I decided to give it another go to see if my perception of it has changed from back then, because on the outside it looks like a quality game. And it still doesn't click with me.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I tried the ios touch version. I didn't get past the first dungeon either. It just isn't like the original megadrive cd.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Just completed Super Robot Wars Original Generation for the Game Boy Advance, which was the first game in the OG series, setting aside the fact that the first Masou Kishin game for the Super Famicom was later retconned as part of the OG "Saga" sub-series of games.

Kyosuke's route, completed in 260 turns, earning all battle masteries and meeting all secret requirements, with no self imposed restrictions except a no save scumming rule*.

Super Robot Wars OG belongs to the sub-genre of turn based strategy I call the Japanese puzzle TBT RPG, a sub-genre which I welcome for being particularly oriented towards, and concerned with, challenge. This game in particular was challenging enough to make me abandon my first blind playthrough very late in the game after hitting a wall in the form of the game's penultimate boss. While I obtained enough battle masteries to stay in hard mode, in doing so I had not built a powerful enough party capable of dealing more damage per turn than the said boss regenerates, rendering it an impossible fight. The second time through, I employed a spreadsheet and the information I gathered the first time playing, to make sure I don't meet the same fate again. This involved planning exactly how the game's finite pool of XP, PP (Pilot Points) and money earned during stages should be distributed among my pilots and mechs, which pilots to match with which mechs, and how each mech should be loaded out.

As alluded to above, the game employs a dynamic difficulty system, where it switches from easy, to normal, to hard, depending on how many battle masteries the player has earned. Each stage has exactly one battle mastery, which is essentially a bonus objective beyond the main mission objective(s). These bonus objectives most frequently take two forms, which are also the two main forms of challenge the game presents the player:

1. Clear a stage under a certain number of turns.

2. Deliver a finishing blow to a unit which would otherwise retreat when its HP falls below a certain percentage threshold.

The latter is a check of your deployed party's highest single attack damage output, which segues into the game's third form of challenge, appearing exclusively in the latter stages (at least in hard mode):

3. Destroy a unit which regenerates an absurd amount of HP per turn.

Which is effectively a check of the (potentially sustained) amount of damage your deployed party can deal to one target during one turn. If this number is too low, the unit will literally be undefeatable and the stage unwinnable, as I found out the hard way.

On the other hand, the secret requirements are simply constraints of the form X pilot must have more than N kills or be M level or higher by the end of some stage.

Back to damage output. Single attack damage output is increased deterministically (i.e. ignoring critical chances) by:
  • Attacking with the weapon which has the highest damage output, given the terrain the defending unit is positioned on, and the defending unit's special abilities (many have additional defenses against beam weapons).
  • Upgrading the attacking weapon's damage throughout the course of the game.
  • Increasing the attacking pilot's melee or ranged stats throughout the course of the game.
  • Increasing the attacking pilot's will throughout the course of the stage (exactly how differs per pilot, but using the rouse, spirit or drive spells works for everyone)
  • Decreasing the defending pilot's will using the daunt spell.
  • Ensuring the attacking pilot has the *fight, attacker, or revenge skills (latter applies only to counter attacks).
  • Ensuring the attacking pilot is an ace at the time they initiate the attack.
  • Buffing the attacking unit with the valor or fury (situational) spells.
  • Placing the attacking unit next to a supporting unit (if not going for the revenge bonus) and ensuring all of the above for the supporting unit as well.
  • Ensuring the unit has the ammunition, energy and will necessary to use the weapon on the given turn.
Due to the time keeping format of the game (each unit can (usually, barring certain spells) move and therefore attack only once in their player's phase, but since the opponent's phase also consists of moving all units, one unit may be attacked, and hence itself counter attack, multiple times in one turn), a single "super" unit with high damage output could almost, in addition to meeting the second form of challenge listed earlier, also meet the first, low turn count form of challenge, thus trivializing a large part of the game.

I say almost, because the last point listed above puts a tactical constraint on this strategy, as by counter attacking frequently, the would-be super unit will run out of resources by the time they need to execute the coup de grace to earn the battle mastery.

This has a patch of sorts, which is to equip some unit with a supply module and assign them to squire duty for the super unit, though the designers were careful to ensure a naive approach here would eat into turn counts -- the supply module is not available for post move use (i.e. it must be used before the carrying unit moves), meaning to supply the super unit, the supply unit must be, at the end of the phase, next to the super unit, in order not to have to retreat the super unit, which means the supply unit will absorb at least part of the enemy aggro (often, though not always, all, as the AI tends to target supply module carrying units) and reduce the number of units killed by the super unit on the opponent's phase hence increasing the number of turns it takes to clear the stage.

Instead, the player has to adopt slightly more complex two or more super unit rotation and resupply tactics, which does indeed meet the general tactical constraints of the game. However it doesn't meet specific tactical constraints in the form of stages which impose restrictions on which pilots or mechs may (initially) be deployed, nor the constraints imposed by the (hamfisted) secret requirements (specific pilots meeting certain level or kill requirements by the end of certain stages), nor, most importantly, the cross-stage strategic constraint the third kind of challenge mentioned earlier imposes, which appears in the final stages of the game.

Moreover, playing with a small number of super units is terribly inefficient, since pilot XP gain (and maybe PP gain as well, I didn't confirm, but I suspect so) is determined in large part by the difference between the attacking pilot and the defending pilot's levels. An overleveled pilot making short work of large swaths of low level enemy units simply lowers the total XP available to distribute amongst your pilots throughout the course of the game -- there's no grinding in Super Robot Wars OG without forfeiting battle masteries, so the XP and money pool is limited when playing for all battle masteries.

Another important note here is that the bulk of the XP goes to the pilot who initiates the attack which finishes off an enemy unit, not the pilot who dealt the most damage, either in previous attacks, or as a supporter in the same attack.

So what's the game?

In short, the game is all about coming up with a viable end game party build to meet the end game challenges, and then working towards it by optimizing and distributing each stage's finite number of kills, XP and PP across the units deployed for that stage (the choice of which is constrained by the story), while still meeting the constrains imposed by the battle masteries and secret requirements, and also minimizing turn counts (which is effectively your score, and prominently displayed by the game on the intermission and data screens), which primarily involves carefully deciding which moves to make and which order to make them in.

In my experience this required attentive planning

1. across stages, to make sure the good enough units would be available at each stage while meeting secret requirements

2. per stage, to devise a stage strategy which would clear the stage while meeting the battle mastery constraint and also minimzing turn count,

3. per turn, to make sure my deployed party was eliminating enemy units fast enough, that it had enough resources (mainly in the form of spell points) for the next turn(s), that my higher level pilots weren't eating away the stage's XP pool to the detriment of the party as a whole across stages.

I found this planning to be very enjoyable and mentally engaging. I particularly enjoyed how much unit positioning matters due to the support system -- adjacent units can add an attack to an attacking unit during the player's phase, or block an enemy's attack during the computer's phase, but different units can do so different numbers of times per phase, which led me to add a higher level concept of formations to my thinking about unit positioning e.g. I had a debuffing formation for sustained energy drains and armor breaks, and two flexible attack formations based around two different support units (one of which involved a combination attack, which is a gimmick two particular pilots can perform).

Briefly, on what exactly is a unit? A unit is the combination of a pilot, a mech, any special parts equipped, and any free weapons equipped ("free" as some weapons are fixed to the mech, while others are "free" to be equipped on whichever mech the player desires).

A pilot consists of the six basic stats, which grow with level according to the pilot's growth rates, and may also be raised by the player by expending PP which pilots earn along with XP by killing enemies. A pilot also has 6 spells they may cast (fixed per pilot, gained by level) and up to 6 skills, a number of which are innate (differing per pilot) and the rest player purchased, again for PP.

Mechs have a size, movement range, HP, EN (energy, expended by some attacks), mobility and armor, a fixed attack set, a weapon carry limit, a number of part slots, and perhaps some fixed set of (defensive) special abilities.

Parts either give bonuses to mech stats (e.g. higher movement range, or more armor), confer special abilities to the unit, adjust hit rates or critical rates, or are one time, in-stage consumables.

I forgot to mention that all three of pilots, mechs and weapons have terrain ratings for the four types of terrain -- ground, water, air and space. The word terrain may mislead here, as the same map tile may count as either air, or ground or water, based on the occupying unit's mode -- is it flying or not. Space tiles, at least, are always space tiles. Both the mech and the pilot's terrain ratings are used when defending, while only the weapon's terrain rating (and not the pilot's) is used when attacking.

Interface-wise my greatest complaint aside from the understandably cramped menus (it is a GBA game), is the lack of a pre-battle expected outcome report widget (see my footnote at the end), which necessitates using external tools or saving and reloading given how important ordering attacks is in the game.

Super Robot Wars OG has great battle music and OK menu and map music. Annoyingly, you only get to hear the battle music if you elect not to skip battle animations, though happily battle music does continue to loop a few times during the rest of the phase afterwards, temporarily replacing the two or three repetitive looping background tracks that usually play. Overall, I recommend the game's sound track.

The game is visually very clear and each attack animation is fun to watch, and even though I could skip them, and 99% of the time I did, I sometimes deliberately didn't, mostly due to the fact that battle animations functioned as kind of jukebox as explained above.

I like the setting a lot, the plot less so, partly because it's conveyed poorly. I like almost all of the characters, though almost all only ironically. Excellen and Leona are my waifus. You can skip through all the game's text segments at blazing speed almost as if it wasn't there at all which is highly welcome, especially when replaying.

Finally, the game was remade along with its sequel for the Playstation 2 as Super Robot Wars Original Generations, though I've not played this version, I can confirm that its sound track has amazing arrangements of the tracks from the GBA game.

I recommend Super Robot Wars OG for anyone who likes the Japanese puzzle TBT RPG subgenre (perhaps I should use the acronym JPTBTRPG and see if it ever catches on). Even though there were 29 previous TBT entries in the Super Robot Wars series before OG 1, and the rule set is obviously highly refined in the iterative sense, it feels as though it could use some consolidation. I'm interested to see how the designers changed the rules in OG 2, alpha 3, and Z which were the last games made exclusively by the same team (Banpresoft before they became B. B. Studio). I'm also, of course, interested in the OGs remake from a different team (TOSE) and the games which branched off from there. I will be playing those some time in the future and sharing my thoughts then.

*I never bothered to create a damage calculator so I did save and reload to see how much damage different units would deal to a target when ordering attacks mattered, as it very often did.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I employed a spreadsheet
Oh dear.
To be fair, it might not have been necessary had the game presented information in a more readily digestable manner. Due to the GBA's limited screen space, I often had to switch between screens (sometimes with the trigger buttons, other times through short menu mazes) to get the information I needed for the decision I was trying to make. It was easier to just key the information into a spreadsheet with certain numbers next to other numbers I wanted to see side by side.

The fact I had to do this to simply clear the game speaks well for its challenge.

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
Xenosaga part 2 time.

Just started. Spent an entire day reading about the combat system, finally wrapped my mind around it. Looks extra promising and fun, like really looking forward to it.

First part def was more challenging than your usual JRPG - which I loved. Hope this one is even harder.

Perhaps i should have went with a diffculty mod? Never know should I or should I not play it like that first time. But I do like my challenge. For reference, DQ11 with stronger monsters was just fucking right for the first half, got a tad easier before going skyhigh towards the very end. Timewyrm was perfect challenge wise for an endgame.

Finished the main story for Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness and the Secret Hideout.

This was my first Atelier game and the first thing I'd say is that I'd agree with the criticism that the game is a little too far on the easier side, though I don't have the frame of reference veterans of the series do. Lately I don't play many jrpgs due to the time investment but the first Ryza game managed to pace things well enough to not over stay its welcome and become a drag.

The most notable thing was how refreshing it was to play a jrpg that had a bulk of the character progression come from exploring the world and gathering instead of mindlessly grinding thousands of random encounters.

Hopefully the sequels add enough to be worthwhile but I'll probably wait a couple of months before starting them.

Puukko

Arcane
Ryza was my first ( :smug: ) and after I played others in the series it cemented itself as my least favorite. Well, there's Sophie 1 which just didn't impress me at all, but I'm not going to judge it the same as a game I actually beat.

After 45 hours, I beat the main story in Fate Samurai Remnant, or Crippling Food Stand Addiction Simulator. The first DLC is up next. It's a fun enough game, if a bit on the grindy/HP spongey side. The combat has several layers and trying out all the different servants is a highlight. I think it veers too strongly into item abuse. Usually it's a matter of "I'm nearly certain I can beat this, but how many items do I want to burn?". I think they should've limited uses in battle and instead tweaked the relevant gauges to charge faster through damage. The servant special moves were very flashy, but could have used more to distinguish themselves since the vast majority just deal damage in a circle, line, etc. The fact that the cheapest moves are enough to immediately shut down the scariest boss moves leads to excessive cheese at times. I just fought Gilgamesh, and he spammed very deadly moves that made him invulnerable... except to specials which also immediately canceled his moves.

Also, the final boss sucked ass. Bit of a shame since they put effort into it, but big sweeping area denial bosses are never as fun to fight as strong humans.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
I checked out Ryza some time ago too but had to leave it after 5 hours or so. There were too much meaningless walking and I just couldn't stand its combat, it gives me a mixed feeling between anxiety, confusion and frustration, imo Dusk's combat system still had plenty venues for improvement, they didn't have to go for something this experimental. Ryza's thighs couldn't make up for this, sadly.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Did another playthrough of Final Fantasy V with custom classes mod (which basically just gives every job Mime's three commands+class command thing and reshuffles some abilities around).

Five still holds up in plot, some translator jokes that don't land well aside. All the dialog comes off as though it were a fantasy action comedy manga (Gilgamesh going from villain's cowardly henchmen to a guy who loves fighting the heroes so much he joins them to slap a mid-boss together) rather than try to be an epic drama in a fantasy world, and it works. Tiny sprites are quite expressive. Small party is used well, with all five party members playing off each other well.

Job system is still great. The jobs themselves are kinda unbalanced but still surprisingly good considering this created the idea of learning abilities from jobs. It's nice to see how little it wastes your time. Abusing fast forward (thus wasting a lot of "game time") and doing everything while fighting most encounters I was still sub 30 hours. It discourages grinding for job abilities by sharply increasing how much AP you get from encounters as you progress, which was a great call: In World 1 most enemy formations give only 1 AP on victory, and the best rate is only 3 (common) or 5 (rare and deadly), World 2 starts around 2 AP per fight and quickly goes up to 5 per. In the final world you're getting at least 5 per, with the final dungeon having stuff that gives over 20 per. It's unfortunate Tactics and its spinoffs didn't copy this AP rate thing and instead made it so a character was fucked on learning if they joined late (I haven't played BD1 in years and never played any of its sequels. Don't know how it did it.).

One thing that's underlooked is that there's a room in the Pyramid of Moore that experiments with all encounters being visible on the field, which is years before (Dec 1992) pioneers in that concept in Idea no Hi (March 1994), Earthbound (Aug 1994), or Chrono Trigger (August 1995). FF6's World of Ruin and its non-linearity gets praised, but people miss how much it's based on FFV's third world: While Island Shrine>Barrier Tower>Undersea trench has to be done in that order, everything else post-airship can be done in any order and you can just skip to the final boss if you feel like it.

As for the mod: It's generally an improvement, but it doesn't really overhaul the game. You can experiment a bit more with the whackier jobs since they now need less AP, and a few commands you'd otherwise never touch are a lot more useful since you can get them early and it's not as much a waste to assign them (!Gaia and !Call are now the first thing their job learns and great at replacing Attack on a mage character. It works so well I'd seriously recommend not buying the early summon options till world 3 to always trigger something useful with !Call)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's unfortunate Tactics and its spinoffs didn't copy this AP rate thing and instead made it so a character was fucked on learning if they joined late
You're doing it wrong; you're supposed to stab Lavian in the back and let Mustadio eat the delicious crystal she left behind. :troll:

FF6's World of Ruin and its non-linearity gets praised, but people miss how much it's based on FFV's third world
To be fair, FF5 didn't get released in the west for a long time, and the first time it did was in a godawful PSX port that lagged like hell. Lots of grognards played 4 and 6 but not 5.

If you're into romhacks, I suggest giving Free Enterprise a try. It's been getting polished for a long time now and has just a metric fuckton of cool features. Depending on settings and familiarity with the game, a playthrough is gonna be somewhere between 2-10 hours. Personally I like doing it the way the gnarlier tournaments have been run; it basically plays like a non-linear boss rush with a character and loot hunt along the way.

Reinhardt

Arcane
anything good released lately? spent march and half of april on unicorn overlord and dd, now need to kill some time until eiyuden chronicle.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I own Dragon's dogma 1 since it was basically free in several sales now. I put another hour into it to see if I could discover if I was missing something and I clearly was not. Boring map design and packs of wolves assaulting you randomly is not interesting or fun. Bandits pose little threat and the cyclops was just a bullet sponge. I've put 4 hours into it now and I wish I hadn't. It seems like it's a coop game for people who don't have others to play coop with. And the minions will not STFU making even that an annoying experience.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tried a few demos. First one was Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince. Game is fun, but starts out very easy. I like the monster collecting, and it seems like exploration could be fun. Performance is all over the place, though. It was on sale a few weeks ago, but I didn't pick it up. Next time, I will probably grab a copy. Best case scenario is that the game gets a PC release.

On PS5, I tried out Granblue Fantasy Relink. Objectively speaking, I won't call the game bad, but after playing the demo, the game is competently made, but not for me. It looks good, sounds good, and combat is solid, but I am not in the mood for the format of the game.

Sand Lands demo was okay, but nothing amazing. I don't see myself getting this anytime soon. Maybe if I feel in the mood for something post-apocalyptic with vehicles. I did one dungeon where vehicles weren't needed, and I hope you get more moves when you fight just as your character. Fights were too basic.

Fate/Samurai demo was also decent, but I am not in the mood for a Musou style game, atm. I could see myself playing this at some point, but this is a style of game that I really need to be in the mood for.

Stellar Blade demo feels like a mix of Nier, mixed with a bit of Fromsoft design. My impressions of it are fairly positive, but not day one purchase positive. This is another game that I can wait for.

I'm happy that demos are getting more common than in previous years, because these ones saved me the desire to get the games any time soon, but not completely ignore them.

anything good released lately? spent march and half of april on unicorn overlord and dd, now need to kill some time until eiyuden chronicle.

gs1JhYT.jpeg

uv6UKka.jpeg

Trails into Reverie. One last ride with the Erebonian characters. Culmination of the battle system. Solving the boss fights on abyss difficulty was really fun and beating the final boss felt like an accomplishment. Had a lot of fun building my characters for the Reverie corridor. Good music as usual. Good visuals. Downsides are that damnable Crossbell and its people show up again, and the English localization quality has declined further.

rpT2wM8.jpg

tWQxhCx.jpg

Kuro no Kiseki 1 (has been out for a couple years with the fan translation patch) was okay. The characters are pleasant enough and the visuals are nice, but the rest of the game was a mixed bag. Story goes nowhere, is very repetitive and unsatisfying. Setting is very boring. Calvard feels wasted compared to Erebonia. Can't trek across the country like in the prior games. Battle system was dumbed down from Reverie and every boss fight except maybe one or two had no design or challenge. I played on the highest difficulty available, nightmare, and only gameovered once. I never had to buckle up and get into the nitty gritty of character building. One of the worst Trails games IMO, though not quite as bad as Crossbell. Again this one has better visuals. I'd rather play the worst Trails game than whatever Western AAA slop has been coming out over the past 15 years.

g3tRCNe.jpeg

tAkQlgJ.jpg

Granblue Fantasy Relink. As a gacha player, I was looking forward to this franchise finally getting a real RPG, and this really fun. Short but fun story, and I spent a hundred hours in the postgame going up the difficulties and building my character and then defeating Lucilius. Fantastic visuals that translates Hideo Minaba's art into 3D, great music by Nobuo Uematsu and Tsutomu Narita. I typically don't like action games, but I found this pretty enjoyable and wound up cranking up the difficulty to the max. Hope Cygames makes a Relink 2. Only downside is - again - the English voice dub, but that can be fixed by switching to Japanese voices, which how I was used to hearing the characters anyway.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Tried a few demos. First one was Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince. Game is fun, but starts out very easy. I like the monster collecting, and it seems like exploration could be fun. Performance is all over the place, though. It was on sale a few weeks ago, but I didn't pick it up. Next time, I will probably grab a copy. Best case scenario is that the game gets a PC release.
I like that you get to play the bad guy and not just any bad guy but the BIG bad guy from the main Dragon Quest games, but as a child before he became fully evil. More games should take this unusual "dark prince" approach. I fired it up in Yuzu and it runs exceptionally well, far better than DQM Joker 3 did in Citra. People say the Dragon Quest Monster series is the best monster rancher/catcher games around. To me, it looks like a very elaborate and much more open Pokemon-type genre where you can have multiple monsters fighting at the same time while roaming and exploring an open world. Sold!

wolfbane

Novice
Gilgamesh going from villain's cowardly henchmen to a guy who loves fighting the heroes so much he joins them to slap a mid-boss together
I played FFV for the first time and I beat it about a week ago. Gilgamesh was by far and away my favorite part of the game lol. He was amazing. Neo Exdeath was a pain in the ass to kill, but probably I just suck at JRPGs. I ultimately killed him but I had to grind up DualCast and Mimic first lol.

Other than that, I also played and beat Ys I for the first time and I absolutely loved it. I started Ys II and it’s similarly great. I’m excited to see how they resolve the loose threads they left in Ys I. The gameplay of Ys I is sublime. It’s so fast paced and you never have to stop moving. It’s the same reason I loved Metroid Dread.

wolfbane

Novice
Oops double-post but I’m pretty much at the end of Fire Emblem Awakening, and even though I like it, it’s probably my least favorite Fire Emblem I’ve played through. Chrom and Lucina are great characters, IMO, but the map design and reinforcement spam makes the latter half of the game not very fun.

For what it’s worth, I had more fun with Echoes, even with its somewhat bland maps. I’m sure this topic has been discussed to death. I’ll play Fates soon enough, so not sure how I’ll place that against the other 2 3DS FEs.

Puukko

Arcane
Oops double-post but I’m pretty much at the end of Fire Emblem Awakening, and even though I like it, it’s probably my least favorite Fire Emblem I’ve played through. Chrom and Lucina are great characters, IMO, but the map design and reinforcement spam makes the latter half of the game not very fun.

For what it’s worth, I had more fun with Echoes, even with its somewhat bland maps. I’m sure this topic has been discussed to death. I’ll play Fates soon enough, so not sure how I’ll place that against the other 2 3DS FEs.
Are you really quite sure about Fates?

wolfbane

Novice
Like am I sure about playing it? I’ve heard the map design in Conquest is actually pretty good, though I have started to notice that people mean the graphic design of the map, as opposed to the mechanic design lol.

I think I have the highest opinion of the GBA FE games of the ones I’ve played, but 3 Houses has a special place for me, since it was my first one. Though overall weapon triangle usually means better gameplay, in my experience with the series.

I found Fates to be quite enjoyable. I liked the story ("Turn against your family and do the right thing, or become culpable in evil and remain loyal"), even if there was a lot of missed potential in the execution. The character personalities are pleasant. The game stands out in the franchise with the Japanese aesthetics of the Birthright units. The music is good. Gameplay is not frustrating like earlier FE games. You also get a tremendous amount of content if you really enjoy the gameplay. It's three campaigns in one and more. I think I spent 150 hours playing Fates, and I didn't even touch Revelation or the DLC content (I bought the special edition that had everything). Fates is not my most favorite SRPG (I liked Aselia the Spirit of Eternity Sword, Sakura Wars, Valkyria Chronicles, and Utawarerumono more), but I enjoyed it enough I can recommend it.

17slj3O.jpeg

Puukko

Arcane
I will admit to being a certified appreciator of Fates girls, but I've never really felt like playing even the supposed better bits, considering how many other games in the series I've yet to play. Now this comes from someone who liked Engage which has positively brain damaged writing, but also probably the best gameplay in the series, so...

Zero CHAR

Novice
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I found Fates to be quite enjoyable. I liked the story ("Turn against your family and do the right thing, or become culpable in evil and remain loyal"), even if there was a lot of missed potential in the execution. The character personalities are pleasant. The game stands out in the franchise with the Japanese aesthetics of the Birthright units. The music is good. Gameplay is not frustrating like earlier FE games. You also get a tremendous amount of content if you really enjoy the gameplay. It's three campaigns in one and more. I think I spent 150 hours playing Fates, and I didn't even touch Revelation or the DLC content (I bought the special edition that had everything). Fates is not my most favorite SRPG (I liked Aselia the Spirit of Eternity Sword, Sakura Wars, Valkyria Chronicles, and Utawarerumono more), but I enjoyed it enough I can recommend it.

17slj3O.jpeg
There's a mod that restores content and fixes the awful translation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom