Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

deuxhero

Arcane
Square Enix like a number of Japanese publishers is heavily relying on remakes and remasters of its past hits to get by. This news reinforces my view that they will never do another FF remake on the scale of FF7R.
Capcom has made clear in their reports that passive income from digital sales of old games on PC is really, really nice and a major slice of their income (Capcom's choice to ruin existing ports is a topic for another day), but SE just doesn't seem to "get it". They make shitty ports as though supporting PC was something they're forced to do, never fix them, and then kneecap them with DRM that just breaks the already bad port so nobody that knows better will buy them. Even when their ports work they all have some major flaw that didn't need to be there and they actively went out of there way to implement wrong (mandatory new graphics, not having the post-game bonus content added in prior ports, totally new mechanics that are worse than either prior version, garbage censorship).

911 Jumper

Educated
Square Enix like a number of Japanese publishers is heavily relying on remakes and remasters of its past hits to get by. This news reinforces my view that they will never do another FF remake on the scale of FF7R.
Capcom has made clear in their reports that passive income from digital sales of old games on PC is really, really nice and a major slice of their income (Capcom's choice to ruin existing ports is a topic for another day), but SE just doesn't seem to "get it". They make shitty ports as though supporting PC was something they're forced to do, never fix them, and then kneecap them with DRM that just breaks the already bad port so nobody that knows better will buy them. Even when their ports work they all have some major flaw that didn't need to be there and they actively went out of there way to implement wrong (mandatory new graphics, not having the post-game bonus content added in prior ports, totally new mechanics that are worse than either prior version, garbage censorship).
Yep, S-E and low effort bad ports seem to go hand in hand. And yes even when problems are identified, S-E doesn't fix them. I wanted to pick up the Switch port of FF9, for example, but it somehow ended up being an inferior version to PS1 original (it is a direct port of the mobile version irc). I'm sure they could fix things with a patch (or two), but to this day the issues still remain.

lametta

Educated
imo squares problem is that they go exclusivity deals and dont sell on all platforms. ff16 and rebirth still exclusive and then it doesnt meet sales expectations? no kidding.. its like hollywood releasing a movie but skipping china lol

911 Jumper

Educated
ATLUS has released a 15-minute “Complete Guide” video for Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance, which provides a complete overview of the game and all of its improvements over the original Shin Megami Tensei V, as well as new information and screenshots introducing new demons, a new dungeon, and gameplay systems

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
And they tend to go for EGS launches. I hope they get a big payday for it.

grimace

Arcane
@grimace you were asking about the health of consoles yesterday IIRC.

I was looking for news about "

It's No Longer Xbox, but Microsoft Gaming Report Says​

"

Sarah Bond, President of Xbox, Microsoft discusses plans to build on the company’s deal with Activision and restore growth in gaming with Bloomberg’s Dina Bass at Bloomberg Tech in San Francisco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIpc8VZ3Bnw

Two boss ladies saying nothing of substance for why "gaming" doesn't continue to "grow".

911 Jumper

Educated

Haven't been able to get into MH myself. I tried it back when the first game released on PS2. Bought Rise recently so will try again at some point.

911 Jumper

Educated
Mid-tier game artificially hyped up by the media. I don't think SB is even worthy of being compared to Nier Automata. Speaking of Nier —

Yoko Taro’s new game ‘might be Nier, it might not be Nier’
Nier series producer Yosuke Saito has teased fans about his upcoming game with Nier director Yoko Taro and Nier composer Keiichi Okabe.

Speaking in Famitsu (via Gematsu), Nier series producer Saito said, “I’ve been talking about wanting to do something with Yoko and Okabe for some time now.

“I’ll have something a bit more put-together to say in the not-too-distant future, so please stay tuned. It might be Nier, it might not be Nier. (Laughs.) That’s about all I can say for now.”

Late last year, Saito and Taro attended the G-STAR 2023 event in South Korea where they teased both a new project, and the future of the Nier series.

Saito reportedly said that as long as Taro remained alive, the Nier series would continue, though he also claimed there were circumstances that prevented them from releasing another one soon.

Developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix, Nier: Automata was originally released for PS4 and PC in 2017, before making its way to Xbox One in 2018.

A Switch version of the game was released in October 2022, adding new costumes exclusive to that port.

During the same presentation, the pair said that they had a new game in the works separate from the series that they planned to show at some point in 2024.
Source: VGC

911 Jumper

Educated
‘Comedic yet serious RPG’ SerialWorld announced for PC
SerialWorld is a comedic yet serious RPG where a boy named Milo and a mysterious creature Anima venture into a fantastical world to solve the town’s mysteries. Whether you’ve played deck-building games before or not, everyone can enjoy this adventurous tale. Embark on a journey into the mysterious world to solve the city’s disturbances!

Key Features

Strategic Battles with Easy Controls – Engage in battles by summoning three Anima at once! Each Anima has its own personality, and with numerous skills, there’s plenty of strategic depth.
Quirky Characters – Prepare to face off against quirky and comical characters!
Anima Evolution – Amidst intense battles, when the talisman is filled with power, Anima evolves into its next form.
SerialProject, a Japanese independent studio formed in 2023 and consisting of just two core members, has announced SerialWorld, a “comedic yet serious RPG” and deckbuilder coming to PC via Steam in 2025. It will support both English and Japanese language options.
TRAILER

Source: Gematsu

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom