Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'll still grab all 3 if Koei don't go full retard with prices again.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If I remember correctly, Sophie actually sold a fair bit better than Shallie. I could be wrong but that's what I remember reading

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
E8904065505603008A66FC5ACDAFD54A.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another Mystery Dungone-like: https://gematsu.com/2018/10/brave-dungeon-seigi-no-imi-announced-for-switch-pc

Brave Dungeon: Seigi no Imi announced for Switch, PC

Inside System has announced dungeon RPG Brave Dungeon: Seigi no Imi (The Meaning of Justice) for Switch and PC. It will launch in 2019 in Japan.

Here is a brief overview of the game, via its official website:

Story

The Old Islands, where countless wars between human and demon clans have occurred. While many human clans continue to build and develop cities, in the eastern side there remains a deep-seeded demon village.

The “Hampden Tower,” a symbol of the demon clan, once stood in the eastern part of the Old Islands. However, Hampden Tower has since collapsed and its entrance was sealed by ancient magic. Due to the excessive passage of time, many mysteries such as the cause of its collapse and how to release the seal remain a mystery.

Scenario Selection System

In this game, you can choose from three scenarios (Al, Klinsy, and Papelne) at the start of the game. Each scenario not only has a different story, they have diferent exploration and battle systems. By clearing all three scenarios, a new scenario will appear.

Deluxe Edition bonus content:

Gerrard

Arcane
There was a popularity vote for the Atelier characters recently, as part of the 20 year anniversary, and Sophie won, with Totori in 2nd and Rorona in 3rd.
m9p7ohV.jpg
Steam pages for Atelier Arland trilogy:

No package deal for all 3?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i read somewhere that it was a sub-series of the Atelier games, on the ps2 i think maybe?, that had a male protag and/or a "better" more "in-depth" battle system than what the main atelier series utilizes.

i forgot the name of this magical sub-series tho. which one was it?

Viata

Arcane
i read somewhere that it was a sub-series of the Atelier games, on the ps2 i think maybe?, that had a male protag and/or a "better" more "in-depth" battle system than what the main atelier series utilizes.

Mana Khemia and Atelier Iris are the ones with male protag that I remember.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron

you're probably thinking of mana khemia, though they brought the combat back for Shallie as well

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Teaser trailer for Arc System Works dungeon crawler Wizard’s Symphony:

Little Dragons Cafe, Harvest Moon creator's latest game, is coming to PC:

ss_d90652248201544252506bdfe2448dd0338a2a63.600x338.jpg
ss_5c35d13f6135bec0f82db71602be432d64757143.600x338.jpg

Little Dragons Café opens with a twin brother and sister learning to cook and manage a small café with their mother. All was routine until one morning when the twins discover that their mother won’t wake up. Suddenly, a strange old man appears and tells them that they must raise a dragon to save her. Working with three quirky café employees, the twins must wrangle a dragon and run the family business while finding a way to save their mother.

In Little Dragons Café, players can choose to play as either sibling Ren or Rin. The story-driven gameplay features a balance of three elements:

Manage your café - Run your own café by preparing tasty dishes, serving your customers, and managing a colorful cast of eccentric staff and visitors.

Explore the world - Discover an entirely new world filled with wildlife, secrets, and dangers while collecting ingredients and recipes to enhance your café menu.

Raise a Dragon - Care for and train your very own dragon as he grows from baby to adult. Explore, hunt, and uncover new areas with your faithful companion.

XSEED will release weeb action game Fate/EXTELLA LINK on PC in Q1 2019, alongside consoles: http://www.xseedgames.com/2018/10/3...n-north-america-and-steam-world-wide-release/

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I may as well put that here, it's not Japanese but it's a classic JRPG-styled game, and was just released :

Full description :
WhatIs.png

Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy is 16-bit styled RPG featuring turn-based combat, plenty of exploration, and a funky soundtrack to pump you up. This is an officially licensed game based on the live-action monster wrestling group Kaiju Big Battel, who have been performing their Godzilla-meets-WWE act for over 20 years.

Designed for Kaiju fans and newcomers alike, Fighto Fantasy takes players on a quest through time and space as they work to undo damage caused by the evil Dr. Cube as he rampages through history in search of fame and glory. With seven main playable heroes (and a secret one to unlock), players explore six time periods and punch out dozens of deadly monsters.

Story.png

All the world is watching as the Kaiju Big Battel Title Fight is about to begin: The diabolical Dr. Cube vs. the patriotic pugilist, American Beetle! Things take a sudden turn when Cube pulls out a secret weapon that rips open portals into history. Now it's up to the Kaiju Heroes to pursue Cube across the centuries, from Egypt to Rome to Russia and beyond! Is the mad doctor pursuing dangerous artifacts lost to time, or does he just want to deface famous landmarks with his own ugly mug?

Features.png

⚫ Combat: No random encounters here; touch enemy NPCs on the map to trigger turn-based battles. Each of the seven main heroes has their own strengths and weaknesses.
⚫ Side stories: When you're not chasing Dr. Cube through time, take a minute to help out some locals. Slay a musclebound mummy, rescue lost Kaiju heroes, adopt cats!
⚫ Map abilities: Each hero has a unique ability to interact with environmental objects, unlocking hidden paths and secret treasures.
⚫ Difficulty selection: Easy Mode for a relaxed experience, Normal Mode for players who want some tense fights.
⚫ 10+ hours of RPG adventure.
⚫ Future expansions will be released as free updates; no paid DLC here!

WhoAre.png

Super Walrus Games has been making independent games for over 15 years, starting with the release of Walthros in 2002. Fighto Fantasy is written and designed by Super Walrus Games boss Paul Harrington, with graphics by Soda Piggy / W. James Pandelis, music by Glock & mr8bit, additional graphics by Zack Corcoran, and minigames by James Paige and Richard "Spoonweaver" Upchurch.
The art looks decent to me, while I'm currently listening to the soundtrack here, and it seems alright too : https://glockandmr8bit.bandcamp.com/album/kaiju-big-battel-fighto-fantasy-soundtrack

I've been vaguely following the development of the game on the Slime Salad forum, the dev seems like a cool dude and he complained because testers were not good enough at playing the game, so the game may not be ridiculously easy. I'm going to play the game at some point although not sure when exactly. A demo is available.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kadokawa Games is considering more PC release, including God Wars (Japanese myth tactical RPG thing): https://www.dualshockers.com/kadokawa-games-interview/

G: Now that God Wars 2 has been announced, are you thinking about further expansion for the God Wars franchise, maybe on mobile or even outside of games?

YY: Considering the feedback that we received from our users, we’re evaluating expansion across other forms of media. We’re also considering a PC version.

G: Are there any other games in your past catalog that you’d like to release on Steam or Nintendo Switch?

YY: About Steam, yes, we’re certainly evaluating how to approach the platform more actively. News about that will come very soon. About Switch, as a Producer yes. I want to reach as many gamers as possible, so I plan to release all of my games on Switch. As for the games handled by other Producers, I’ll let them make that call.

It's also publisher of Metal Max Xeno.

Jinn

Arcane
Holy fucking shit. I always wanted to play the first one, but haven't because it sounds like the gameplay is very simplistic and the game is very short.

If this game is a little longer and has more going gameplay-wise, I will be enjoying both of them very soon. Shit looks insane.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Daisenryaku Perfect 4.0, a new game from the long-running military wargame series, is released on Steam with English localization:

Looks like this is the first English release of the series in 10 or so years.

And WW2 thing too? But this is not available in English, only Japanese and Chinese:

ss_1eb1a19e19fc4dee21b709bc3b0a6480d18ba549.600x338.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://gematsu.com/2018/11/multipl...w-ys-title-due-out-by-september-2019-in-japan

Multiple Falcom console games, including new Ys title, due out by September 2019 in Japan

Falcom will release multiple new games for console, including a brand new Ys title in celebration of the series’ 30th anniversary, in by September 2019 in Japan, the company announced in its latest financial results briefing.

Back in August, Falcom president and CEO Toshihiro Kondo said the next Ys game “will not be a remake, but a brand new title. It will be about Adol and it will be set right after the events of Ys VIII.”

Going forward, the company plans to continue proactively promoting multiplatform development using its licensed content worldwide, further strengthen digital sales and downloadable content, and deploy smartphone titles such as Hoshi no Kiseki and Ys Altago in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macao.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More animu, more Artistic Sword thing release on Steam:

ss_7464d218eb5948917aa47409a639eba7d1f019ff.600x338.jpg

I guess this is last of them? How about Digimon games now, Bamco?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
More animu, more Artistic Sword thing release on Steam:

ss_7464d218eb5948917aa47409a639eba7d1f019ff.600x338.jpg

I guess this is last of them? How about Digimon games now, Bamco?

I know whatever the next Digimon thing is has been confirmed for a Steam release. Probably theyll only do the others if it sells ok

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom