Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

R.U.S.E.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Alexandros said:
Does the demo include multiplayer? I played the custom mission but I can't remember if there was multiplayer included.

Nope the demo is single player only.
Sadly if you missed the open beta and the free week-end offer, you won't be able to taste the multiplayer for free.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Korgan said:
Tramboi said:
Sorry we people in the the gaming industry can't make games with german campaigns for would-be nazi teenagers who're just too scared to fight their opponents in the streets so they listen to RAC on youtube to get their thrill (not even the balls to wear bleached jeans and a bomber jacket to go to work, sorry, school, kiddos).
Call us PC.
I call myself real-life.
:retarded:
Wait, are you for real? Did you just imply that every fucking wargamer who ever played as the Axis in Panzer General et al is a nazi?
Guys, people need to see this.

Yeah, same with all those that picked Nazi Germany in Hearts of Iron, Strategic Command, War in Russia and just about any wargame that included the Germans, ever released, not to mention flying for the 'evil' Nazis in WW2 flight sims or sinking allied ships in Silent Hunter!

This brings me to another hypocrisy in the game industry: Why is there no such thing as a German point of view in a FPS? you can be the Krauts in multi, but heaven forbid to have a storyline where you play as a German soldier shooting at allied troops! I'm aware that the new Red Orchestra will have a German campaign but i wonder if it will be a proper one or just German trooper with bots on multiplayer maps like in Battlefield 1942. It's ridiculous that no-one whines about the 'whitewashing' of history in Hearts of Iron where you as the Germans do not have to build infrastructure for or man concentration camps, yet to play as a German soldier in FPS mode is such a fucking taboo!

entertainer said:
Actually most of those who play as axis in any game are nazi wannabe teenagers though, can't count the times i've seen 14 year olds with SS in their nicknames while playing RO

That maybe true of some shooter, but I enjoyed Panzer General and other games for being able to rewrite history or experience the 'losers' point of view. I'm tired of re-fighting Normandy as the Allies who won in real life anyway and due to massive advantages in men and materiel. Such battles are not interesting. Much more fun would be trying to hold back the Allied hordes.

Erzherzog

Magister
Why is there no such thing as a German point of view in a FPS?

The Nazis over at Tripwire are creating the world's first Nazi campaign for a shooter in Heroes of Stalingrad.

He he, I'm glad my troll-fu was codex-worth!
More seriously, did you know you can't really make a SS division playable in a WW2 game if you want to be authorised to sell it in Germany?
This or representations of the swastika?

By the way, you don't lose much by not having a german or russian compaign in my opinion because the heart of the game is really multiplayer, the campaign is more of a giant tutorial.

Nice try, saying something ridiculously fucking stupid and backtracking instantly claiming it was trolling. You, good sir, are pathetic. You do realize that most game companies aren't retarded enough to not understand that they can edit the game files to remove Swastikas and such for a German release, correct?

Oh, and kudos for you to at least admit that your singleplayer campaign is worthless bullshit. Tutorials are tutorials. Sometimes people want a break from retardation only found in game lobbies.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Erzherzog said:
Oh, and kudos for you to at least admit that your singleplayer campaign is worthless bullshit. Tutorials are tutorials. Sometimes people want a break from retardation only found in game lobbies.

Like you say. Why not make a fully fledged campaign with a good AI, maybe a strategic map as well etc? I rarely can play multi as it is! No, it's much cheaper and simpler to just tack on a shitty intro campaign(waste most effort on the CG cutscenes), then stick a bunch of maps and mostly mirror image units(for neat balance)for multi and away you go!

anus_pounder said:
The Ubersoldier games have you playing as a german supersoldier............activated by the allies and fighting for them. >_>

Yeah, for the ALLIES. This doesn't count. There's a few games like this from even before ubersoldier's time such as Mortyr where you are German soldier going back in time to stop the Nazis etc. That is just trying too hard to be PC.

Why can't I parachute into Holland as a Fallschirmjager? Or into Crete? Why not cross the Meuse against the French or drive into Greece? How about an amphibious assault against the dodecanese Islands as part of the Brandenburgers? etc, etc. So much fresh material is there if you decide to make a playable German FPS campaign rather than neverending Stalingrad, Stalingrad, Normandy, Bulge, Bulge, Normandy, Berlin, Berlin, Berlin....that we keep getting.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Erzherzog said:
Nice try, saying something ridiculously fucking stupid and backtracking instantly claiming it was trolling. You, good sir, are pathetic..

Thanks.

Erzherzog said:
You do realize that most game companies aren't retarded enough to not understand that they can edit the game files to remove Swastikas and such for a German release, correct? .

You realize you are retarded enough to not understand it costs more money than unified releases, correct?

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
commie said:
This brings me to another hypocrisy in the game industry: Why is there no such thing as a German point of view in a FPS? you can be the Krauts in multi, but heaven forbid to have a storyline where you play as a German soldier shooting at allied troops! I'm aware that the new Red Orchestra will have a German campaign but i wonder if it will be a proper one or just German trooper with bots on multiplayer maps like in Battlefield 1942. It's ridiculous that no-one whines about the 'whitewashing' of history in Hearts of Iron where you as the Germans do not have to build infrastructure for or man concentration camps, yet to play as a German soldier in FPS mode is such a fucking taboo!

I agree with you, the game industry is just less mature than litterature or cinema when it comes to this.
Pure wargames can do it because they are very symbolic. If you add a story, characters and more direct involvement, it becomes something the industry doesn't want to risk.
For a good reason I think, games can't even properly depict sex with taste...

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
commie said:
Like you say. Why not make a fully fledged campaign with a good AI, maybe a strategic map as well etc? I rarely can play multi as it is! No, it's much cheaper and simpler to just tack on a shitty intro campaign(waste most effort on the CG cutscenes), then stick a bunch of maps and mostly mirror image units(for neat balance)for multi and away you go!

It is a full-fledged campaign, and the AI is quite ok. But it lasts so many hours though you can amount hundreds of hours online.
Have you played the betas and the free week-end to claim there are "mirror image units"?

Erzherzog

Magister
Tramboi said:
Erzherzog said:
You do realize that most game companies aren't retarded enough to not understand that they can edit the game files to remove Swastikas and such for a German release, correct? .

You realize you are retarded enough to not understand it costs more money than unified releases, correct?

I understand that it takes time, but then again you are literally the first developer I've heard to bitch and moan about it. It really does not take very much effort at all. Paradox has been doing it for years, and it's because they care about their fanbase.

It is a full-fledged campaign

Hey now, first it's a tutorial but now it's a full fledged campaign? Nice doubletalk but it's either a tutorial or a legit campaign. Pick one, which is it?

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Erzherzog said:
I understand that it takes time, but then again you are literally the first developer I've heard to bitch and moan about it. It really does not take very much effort at all. Paradox has been doing it for years, and it's because they care about their fanbase.

Ask the Wolfenstein or Company of Heroes guys.
By the way are there swastikas in HoI 3? There wasn't in the 2 if I recall correctly.
What Paradox games sport swastikas?

Erzherzog said:
Hey now, first it's a tutorial but now it's a full fledged campaign? Nice doubletalk but it's either a tutorial or a legit campaign. Pick one, which is it?

It is totally a scam, and everybody who plays it is undoubtly less smart than you.
Now you can be sure Ruse is not for you and leave the thread.

Erzherzog

Magister
Tramboi said:
Erzherzog said:

By the way are there swastikas in HoI 3? There wasn't in the 2 if I recall correctly.

None, which indicates their superior ability to yours for managing to make games for Germany.

Tramboi said:
Erzherzog said:

It is totally a scam, and everybody who plays it is undoubtly less smart than you.
Now you can be sure Ruse is not for you and leave the thread.

Have you forgotten what message board you are on? If you don't want to be scrutinized then don't show up. If you think you can handle criticism, then be prepared to back it up. Too bad you've proven to be incapable of that thus far.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Erzherzog said:
Nice try, saying something ridiculously fucking stupid and backtracking instantly claiming it was trolling. You, good sir, are pathetic. You do realize that most game companies aren't retarded enough to not understand that they can edit the game files to remove Swastikas and such for a German release, correct?

You said this, let me remind you.
And I demonstrated it to be bullshit by quoting a few examples of games you're supposed to like that do not contain swastikas.
Talk about scrutiny and contradiction.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Erzherzog said:
Have you forgotten what message board you are on? If you don't want to be scrutinized then don't show up. If you think you can handle criticism, then be prepared to back it up. Too bad you've proven to be incapable of that thus far.

I didn't forget where am I, and that's precisely why I don't feel like I'm forced to cope with your "is it a tutorial for MP or is it a real campaign, it can't be both" bullshit.

By the way I'm no PR nor game designer, just a codex reader who jumped on the wagon to discuss about the game I took part in coding.
And I can take jabs such as commie's because they are sensible.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Tramboi said:
He he, I'm glad my troll-fu was codex-worth!
More seriously, did you know you can't really make a SS division playable in a WW2 game if you want to be authorised to sell it in Germany?

Why would anone like to sell game in Germany? Would they permit a game with a red blood with graphics for example like this?

coolsakuya.jpg

The blood is red and she looks like she is aroused/enjoy it.

Why should rest of the world suffer only because Germany has silly laws? It's a problem of German people, perhaps they should punish people who made, or who didn't bothered to abolish these laws when they outlived theirs usefulness, and pay reparation for these who were wronged. (I heard they have elections and theirs officials are responsible for theirs actions.)

Tramboi said:
I agree with you, the game industry is just less mature than litterature or cinema when it comes to this.
Alas, game industry is at least 5 years mature enough, just laws that are protecting independent movies doesn't apply for games.

Majority of movie like games were released because industry matured and split into:
1. We don't wanna risk, and we will do only what would be passable. (The equivalent of family movies.)
2. We would like to be as famous as movies, thus we would be retarded and we would pretend to be like movies. (Also they would see our stuff and hire us into xxx. It didn't worked for a people who wanted to go into game industry, and now something similar should work for people who wanna to go from game to movie industry. Considering people in the movie industry have quite low opinion about people in the game industry... It was quite retarded and inefficient decision.)

Tramboi said:

They are cowards. AFAIK they even forbade Germany Russian alliance.
Considering Nazi only used already existing symbols, I wonder why uneducated retards are so much against Indian symbol of..., or certain type of world wide common greeting.

Basically HOI3 design grew up them, and become too detailed for theirs liking. So it's either to have proper full game and US would have these camps, or a game that would brownose current government officials and some important part of history would be hidden under table. (You can use some unofficial mod when you want them. You can find and download that mod in 3 sec from the Internet.)

Discussion of swastikas as related to HOI3 is a bannable offence.
That was a quote from theirs forum.

What I should say about them? They don't have guts.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Tramboi said:

Wait a minute.

The game is coming out in Germany.

So the units are already sanitized from swastikas etc.

I had a quick glance at the unit list, it seems there are no "SS divisions" in the game.

So this is just a load of bull, right?

Korgan

Arbiter
commie said:
It's ridiculous that no-one whines about the 'whitewashing' of history in Hearts of Iron where you as the Germans do not have to build infrastructure for or man concentration camps, yet to play as a German soldier in FPS mode is such a fucking taboo!
My thoughts exactly; damnit, the holocaust would be a big gameplay factor there, so its absense is VERY conspicious, yet no-one cares! Hell, this is so fucking stupid, they could just take away 20PP and leadership for some abstract "repressive infrastructure" if you chose to be a hardline Nazi just to simulate the economic consequences. But no, it's all taboo.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Derek Larp said:
Wait a minute.

I had a quick glance at the unit list, it seems there are no "SS divisions" in the game.

Absolutely, the game *is* politically correct.
But seriously I'm not sure the publishers have any real choice.
Of course this makes games less historically accurate, but this is business I guess.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Korgan said:
My thoughts exactly; damnit, the holocaust would be a big gameplay factor there, so its absense is VERY conspicious, yet no-one cares! Hell, this is so fucking stupid, they could just take away 20PP and leadership for some abstract "repressive infrastructure" if you chose to be a hardline Nazi just to simulate the economic consequences. But no, it's all taboo.

But no publisher would want a game where the holocaust can be an advantage for the player if used correctly.
The media would lynch such a game.

Erzherzog

Magister
Tramboi said:
Erzherzog said:

You said this, let me remind you.
And I demonstrated it to be bullshit by quoting a few examples of games you're supposed to like that do not contain swastikas.
Talk about scrutiny and contradiction.

I'm "supposed" to like Wolfenstein and Company of Heroes? Goddamn man, arguing by choosing your opponents tastes?

I didn't forget where am I, and that's precisely why I don't feel like I'm forced to cope with your "is it a tutorial for MP or is it a real campaign, it can't be both" bullshit.

By the way I'm no PR nor game designer, just a codex reader who jumped on the wagon to discuss about the game I took part in coding.
And I can take jabs such as commie's because they are sensible.

The only bullshit is calling the campaign a tutorial and then calling it full-fledged. This isn't the message board for you if you think you can get away with such bullshit.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Tramboi said:
Derek Larp said:
Wait a minute.

Absolutely, the game *is* politically correct.
But seriously I'm not sure the publishers have any real choice.
Of course this makes games less historically accurate, but this is business I guess.

No, I can live with an abstract game about certain aspects of warfare that is not 100% historically accurate, and I can live with the absence of swastikas in WW2 games.

But when people were bitching about the lack of a dedicated german campaign, you said

Tramboi said:
Sorry we people in the gaming industry can't make games with german campaigns for would-be nazi teenagers who're just too scared to fight their opponents in the streets so they listen to RAC on youtube to get their thrill (not even the balls to wear bleached jeans and a bomber jacket to go to work, sorry, school, kiddos).
Call us PC.
I call myself real-life.

When called out on this obvious bullshit, you said

Tramboi said:

despite the fact (which you admitted) that none of these reasons apply to R.U.S.E. and you could have, permitting enough time and money, created a german campaign without jeopardizing your sales in germany.

Your argumentation is deeply flawed, sir.

Multi-headed Cow

That middle quote was obvious trolling, and he even said it was. Then the bottom quote was in regard to "WHY NO SWASTIKAS" in the game. They're completely unrelated. Instead of just saying it would cost too much to add a German campaign when their game is primarily multiplayer focused anyway, he said they didn't because skinhead nerd wargamers would be stroking themselves while playing it.

Ye gods, Codex.

Edit: Steam is no longer saying "WARNING WARNING RUSE HAS UBISOFT NAZI DRM WARNING", did that get cut from the final game or are they derping?

Multi-headed Cow

Oh, well hell. The whole reason I hadn't paid any attention to the game was because the beta used UbiDRM so I wrote the whole game off. Steamworks I'm fine with. I might check out the demo then.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Multi-headed Cow said:
That middle quote was obvious trolling, and he even said it was.

Maybe.

Multi-headed Cow said:
Then the bottom quote was in regard to "WHY NO SWASTIKAS" in the game.

No. He was the first to bring that issue up.

Multi-headed Cow said:
They're completely unrelated.

They seem pretty related.

Multi-headed Cow said:
Instead of just saying it would cost too much to add a German campaign when their game is primarily multiplayer focused anyway, he said they didn't because skinhead nerd wargamers would be stroking themselves while playing it.

So he wasn´t trolling after all?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom