Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Questions on factions, et cetera

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Well, he's kinda casual. Here is some more:

Kill. Destroy. Murder. Do you have any preferences in the matter? If there some sort of death you would enjoy more, feel free to share that with me. Being an expert in killing, I'm sure I'm familiar with most methods and would be more than happy to accomodate your request.

An expert in killing?

Not very bright, are you? * the guardian drew two blades out of nowhere with an alarming speed*

1. * trying hard to ignore the blades* You mentioned a dilemma...
2. * draws a weapon* For an expert in killing, you sure like to talk a lot.
3. * run
4. What are you?

If 2.
Very observant of you. Yes, a dilemma. You see, there is something you can do for me, and in return I'll let you go free. Even better, I'll allow you to explore this place and give you a great treasure that was given to me for safekeeping. How does that sound to you?

1. Sounds much better than choosing a way to die. So, what can I do for you?
2. [streetwise] That bit about the treasure was way overdone, don't you think?

If 2.
Hmm, not so stupid after all. Alright, here is a deal. Try to leave and I'll kill you, stay and argue with me and I'll kill you, do what I tell you and maybe you will live to see the daylight again. So, what's it going to be?

Jora

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
2. [streetwise] That bit about the treasure was way overdone, don't you think?
I love this. I'll have to pick streetwise when I play the game.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Kingston said:
Meh. I've run out of Jedi Mindtrick juice anyways.

EDIT: Shouldn't it be "The guardian draws two..."?
Definitely. Thanks.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It really sounds like you need streetwise to get all the good lines. Anyway, the encounter sounds too cool to leave out, whether you allow players to pick up the talking skull or not.
I do kinda agree that the answers seem a bit too obvious - it's an interesting concept, but if there's always one obviously right choice, it'll probably end up boring.

From my dim memories of adventure books, there were plenty of situations where you had the choice of several equally "special" actions, so it wasn't too obvious which was the "right" one - also, often there wasn't a specifically superior choice, the story would branch, without any obviously (dis)advantagous consequence - at least until several paragraphs down the road. Usually, the "obvious" choice was only available if you possessed the right skill. (Like in your first example.)
Also, showing too much interest into the wrong things could get you into trouble as easily as help you.

Anyway, if you decided against letting players take the skull, the sarcophagus would be an excellent opportunity for a trap - turning back being the only right choice. I love that kind of situation.

Monolith said:
Not necessarily. He can derive his vital energy from a machine of some kind - magical or not. That way he'll be bound to the place you found him. The player can activate it and thus bring him back to life - if he has the necessary skills or whatnot.
I was thinking along the same lines. As should everyone who ever saw a couple of episondes from SG-1. Also, thinking about this gave me a SAD flashback. Downloading an AI into a brainbot isn't so different from picking up an undead skull, or ist it?

One Wolf

Scholar
the answers seem a bit too obvious

i agree. in many of the dialogue examples i've seen so far, there was always (i think) an obvious choice that seemed better than the others. maybe they lead to less favorable situations than they imply, but in the dialogue trees that VD has written out for us the obviously better choice actually was the better choice. like FO.

while i'm at it, VD, will you delay the effect of some decisions for awhile? like in FO, i would often try some dialogue options, reload, try again etc. and by doing so pretty much managed the best possible outcomes. if consequences are experienced down the road a little, it becomes much more interesting and thought-provoking. i can imagine sitting there looking at my dialogue choices thinking "hmm, what kind of unexpected consequences might occur if i do X?" i remember the "choose your own adventure" books as well, and i recall being enraged by many of the choices. it's not particularly thrilling to be faced with options like:

you see a monster

1. run!
2. battle!
3. do nothing!

if 1, death. if 2, death. if 3 a big rock falls on monster killing it.

guessing at the right choice because the situation suggests nothing at all is not cool. this is especially true if the randomized inscrutable consequences happen down the road, thus thoroughly fucking you fiercely in the face.

oh in case you were planning on asking, i have absolutely no idea at all how to remedy this. being a mindless consumer does occasionally have its advantages.

this ties in to the obvious best choice problem as well, since having several dialogue choices that all seem pretty good makes for some heavy pondering. also, much like in PST or NWN, it seems like whenever there is a skillcheck dialogue option it is the best. and i imagine the whole reason for those skillcheck options is because they are the best; your skill at X has allowed you this better dialogue option. perhaps multiple check options? and many different outcomes possible for each dialogue tree? i know you've talked about some of these questions before, by my memory is limited to basically what i.......wait, what are we talking about?

Greatatlantic

Erudite
One Wolf said:
the answers seem a bit too obvious

i agree. in many of the dialogue examples i've seen so far, there was always (i think) an obvious choice that seemed better than the others. maybe they lead to less favorable situations than they imply, but in the dialogue trees that VD has written out for us the obviously better choice actually was the better choice. like FO.

Eh, "obvious" response really doesn't bother me, especially if it only appears with an appropriately high skill check. That, and its a lot better then dialogue where the outcome seems entirely random or isn't readily apparent. I'm not saying its obvious, but as player should feel like he's taking a risk by taking an agressive approach, or something like that.

P.S. Flat out talking skull does seem a little derivative. How about mummified, shrunken head? Or maybe there is some mechanical device that records the guys every thought, motivation, and personality quirk that can communicate through a "series of tubes", magic was involved of course.

Point is you can have your dead guy's voice and mind, and I certainly won't complain much about borrowing from Torment, but there are alternatives that you should think about.

almondblight

Arcane
One Wolf said:
this ties in to the obvious best choice problem as well, since having several dialogue choices that all seem pretty good makes for some heavy pondering. also, much like in PST or NWN, it seems like whenever there is a skillcheck dialogue option it is the best. and i imagine the whole reason for those skillcheck options is because they are the best; your skill at X has allowed you this better dialogue option. perhaps multiple check options? and many different outcomes possible for each dialogue tree? i know you've talked about some of these questions before, by my memory is limited to basically what i.......wait, what are we talking about?

Yah. Well, going back to the traps...what benefit is there to not inspect the area for traps? "You enter into a cave, there might be a trap: 1. Check. 2. Ignore it." What's the point? Why not just have the detection happen automatically based on a skillcheck and then have the player make a decision when it matters. You go into a cave. If the skillcheck doesn't pass, the trap goes off. If it does: "You see a knob in the side of the wall. Do you: 1. Turn it left once 2. Turn it right once 3. Turn it left twice 4. Turn it right twice" And then if you talked to the right people, you know the right answer.

But!

What if you just keep reloading until the right answer occurs? No idea, maybe you have to learn a password and say it (does the game allow for text input?).

As for dialogue, I would prefer if it allowed more options, not better ones. You can choose to save someone at the expense of loosing someone else if you get the right options, not that you can choose to save both people. Gives you more of a choice than "1. Get 20 gold
2. get 30
3. get 40"

Perishiko

Scholar
almondblight said:
One Wolf said:
What if you just keep reloading until the right answer occurs?

Ha, in a game I'm making for my wife, I have forced saving at specific points. Directly after choices...

I don't have any "OMG, saved right before a battle I can't finish, game ruined!" It's more along the lines of "Damn, it would have been cool to see what would have happened had I chosen..."

Good for replayability in my opinion. (One of those things people will love you more for after the fact, while being slightly annoyed while it happens.)

It's kind of rude. But, hell... Shit happens. It's fun making a game.

Durwyn

Prophet
Only faction i miss is some kind of religious cult faction. What do people belive in, in AoD? What gods do they worrship?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
It´s missing the dialogue option:

"No way, you fanatical freak! [draw sword]"

:lol:

EDIT: Also you are missing another option in all screens: "Don´t want to talk anymore. Bye!"

Durwyn

Prophet
Thx VD. I somehow haven't seen those screens. So is House Crassus a wanna-be holy order, or its just Meru the only one who wants to summon gods. He used "We". He meant whole House or only a pack of his folowers in faction??
Maybe to detailed question, but im curious...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Durwyn said:
Thx VD. I somehow haven't seen those screens. So is House Crassus a wanna-be holy order, or its just Meru the only one who wants to summon gods. He used "We". He meant whole House or only a pack of his folowers in faction??
Maybe to detailed question, but im curious...
Yep, the entire faction. From the website:
"Noble House Crassus - Withdrawing from war and politics, House Crassus dedicated itself to the sciences and arcane research, particularly in planes of existence. Consequently, they were instrumental in the Summoning, having constructed the portal and the many machines that powered it. Most Mages perished in the last days, depriving the House not only the generations of wisdom and research, but of clarity and focus. Today House Crassus calls for proper worship and the restoration of the gods."

As for the screens, they are from this interview (there are matching main quest screens with the other two Noble Houses):
http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=19882

Texas Red

Whiner
*kneels before Iron Tower* Really looking forward to this. This looks amazing! Everything you want from an RPG is there.

Just wanted to support...

Vault Dweller said:
Choices are vastly overrated.
You should refrain form these type of jokes. It attracts the wrong type of people. Hell, the ESF might even start to take you seriously, and before you know it you'll have to hire a community manager.

On the other hand, that'll probably mean higher sales. Do you have a hidden agenda with this, mister?

Fez

Erudite
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but will there be "fake" dialogue options? By this I mean more than one dialogue choices that give the same response and results from NPCs or in situations? I've noticed this in some titles like KOTOR2. It got bad enough that parts of the dialogue felt pointless, or at least being given the fake choices at all. A big turn-off for me.

Even if the NPC's responses are changed slightly to accommodate my choice, that would be enough to keep immersion, but often in KOTOR2 it was one response used for three different choices.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Fez said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but will there be "fake" dialogue options? By this I mean more than one dialogue choices that give the same response and results from NPCs or in situations?
Nope. None.

Even if the NPC's responses are changed slightly to accommodate my choice, that would be enough to keep immersion, but often in KOTOR2 it was one response used for three different choices.
Yeah, I hate that too. Kinda kills all the immersion and role-playing for me. Why bother picking an option at all?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom