Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Qodex WIzardry New eNhancements (~Qwinn)

Shadenuat

Arcane
When did Saint Bastard became a Karsomyr? My thief uses that, and he is't exactly "holy" person. Demonslaying sword from Monastery is more "holy", as only Fighters, Valks and Lords and some others can use it. If anything, Lord-specific sword should be Lord-only then.

Just add new sword? :?

DraQ

Arcane
When did Saint Bastard became a Karsomyr? My thief uses that, and he is't exactly "holy" person. Demonslaying sword from Monastery is more "holy", as only Fighters, Valks and Lords and some others can use it. If anything, Lord-specific sword should be Lord-only then.

Just add new sword? :?
Well, it has "Saint" in name, and making it Lord only would be part of the changes.

Why doesn't your thief use Bloodlust or Fang anyway?

DraQ

Arcane
Is it not possible to put turncoat on weapon like all the other status effects?

Apparently not. I downloaded the cosmic forge editor and turncoat was not in the column of applicable status effects. Although strangely enough swallowed was.
Bah.:(

So maybe some unique combination of other effects? Hex (to curse your enemies)? Insanity doesn't really fit, and if Cutlass of The Damned is going to be offhand compatible, we don't really need it on Saint Bastard.

I wonder what would swallow do if used by PC on NPC. Ok, I lied. I don't just "wonder", I'm morbidly curious.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Sounds like the making of an entirely new weapon. The Swallowing Sword.

How does the idea of making the Saint Bastard more powerful but including attribute requirements sound? Something like piety 70?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Why doesn't your thief use Bloodlust or Fang anyway?
Not there yet. As for Bloodlust, it seems to hit much less often for me. I don't like that sword.

How does the idea of making the Saint Bastard more powerful but including attribute requirements sound?
Should stay true to source and only use classes/races for that, imo.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron

What I am proposing is to make the Saint Bastard a Lord only sword with a high piety requirement. This would force the player to make a choice about how they're building their Lord. The piety requirement will take away from the combat ability of the Lord but increase his defense and spell points and casting abilities. By making the sword somewhat uber like the Muramasa blade it will help offset the lack of combat ability and the player will have to decide if the compromise is worth it. Choices, consequences and all that.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
This is where clever weapon design is important. Hopefully it won't be readily apparent which course will yield better results and it will force the player to make an irreversible choice.

DraQ

Arcane
Not there yet. As for Bloodlust, it seems to hit much less often for me. I don't like that sword.
Berserk does that.

Still, berserk and backstab stack, you get extra attack, a lot of ini, skill bonus and you'll probably want to use cursed Thieves Dagger with rogue anyway so it's not like being cursed is much of a problem.

Bloodlust really catapults your rogue far ahead of your other frontliners in terms of damage dealt, and if you have a dracon rogue, then even being unable to swap weapons isn't really that much of an issue (and again, you'll probably have this problem anyway because of TD).

Also, doesn't Saint Bastard only drop around Rapax Castle or Bayjinn? I don't understand not having anything better at this point.

Actually there are some items with stat requirements in vanilla Wiz8.

Sounds like the making of an entirely new weapon. The Swallowing Sword.
I wonder how will such effect work in game when used by PC against NPC. I'm betting on CTD - immediate or delayed, when container holding swallowed entities overflows.

How does the idea of making the Saint Bastard more powerful but including attribute requirements sound? Something like piety 70?
Wouldn't just making it Lord's equivalent of Muramasa suffice?

Tweaking Excaliber might be another option, with two caveats:

1) It's 2h and modifying that would just feel wrong.
2) It's already an awesome weapon when it drops, unlike SB which drops when it's most likely heavily outclassed by party's non-random weapons and best summed up as "cute".

Shadenuat

Arcane
DraQ

Rogue's damage was good anyway, and I got Fang recently.
Saint Bastard dropped from rapax scouts in Trynton.
Instead of Thief's Dagger I use Stiletto. It's weaker, but allows switching for Bow and has 10% kill chance which is 5% more than of Thief's Dagger, and higher initiative.

Actually there are some items with stat requirements in vanilla Wiz8.
For Strength, I believe.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
For strength, yes, like the Mauler which required 50 strength. Also the strong bow which required something like 85 strength and 30 bow skill. Other than instruments and gadgets that's pretty much it.

Actually a few accessories required Artifacts skill too.

Seems like kind of a waste to have so few items with ability/skill requirements. Hence my idea of the piety requirement to use the holiest of swords, Saint Bastard.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well, a Lord only weapon would be a good offset if we re-include Maenad's Lance, a Valk only weapon (I believe).

I believe that Lord and Fighter are the only classes that do NOT have class exclusive weapons.
Fighter makes up for it with the ability to wield fucking anything and everything.
Lord? Not so much.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Then it's settled. The lord gets his own weapon. Shall we discuss stats?

Saint Bastard
1 handed sword
Primary hand
10-30ish damage
+2 initiative
+2 to hit
5% kill
10% KO
50% hex
Casts high level turncoat

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Not bad.Should grant a stat bonus of some sort, and have a similar stat requirement.
I was thinking +2 MP, +1 Stamina, +10 Divinity, Requirement Piety 70, Strength 50.
Maybe also some + to one of the elite skills.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Okay great so you liked my idea of the piety requirement. I feel it's a great way to make the player change his lord build into more of a spellcaster since most lord builds just stick with the required 50 piety or whatever it is. I have no problems giving the Bonuses you suggested. Although I think lords are required to have strength of 50 so that's redundant or it should be raised. Give the sword a bonus to the expert skill iron will which will further entice the player to go with a 100 piety lord build and reap the expert skill bonus.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Now about axes. I think any light axe (5.0 weight or less) should be okay as a secondary weapon. With a possible exception for the beastslayer which weighs 6.0. This will give two choices for high end off-hand axes. The Plague Axe and Beastslayer.

The top tier axes which are The Ripper, Blades of Aesir and Axe of Many Runes are all two handed weapons that probably need some tweaking in order to bring them up to the level of high end swords. I suggest keeping the Axe of Many Runes cursed and offsetting that with some other advantage so that the player will have to weigh the pros/cons. And of course all three of these weapons need to be set chest items or drops.

This leaves a void with mid and high end one handed primary only axes so we will have to create those from scratch. I'm thinking enchanted versions of already existing axes and two or three completely new ones. Any ideas?

DraQ

Arcane
And the Valk can wield just about anything as well.
Is there a weapon the Valk can wield that the Lord can't?
Cleaver?
:troll:
+10 Divinity
Good idea. Should make lord a bit more casty - all the other hybrids have Int requirement, which allows them to boost their realm skills faster, and it would be a nice counter to priest being very melee oriented for a caster as well as helping poor lord get some more unique flavour.

The top tier axes which are The Ripper, Blades of Aesir and Axe of Many Runes are all two handed weapons that probably need some tweaking in order to bring them up to the level of high end swords. I suggest keeping the Axe of Many Runes cursed and offsetting that with some other advantage so that the player will have to weigh the pros/cons.
Axe of many runes should keep its ini and hit mali as they are what make it unique. Maybe boost damage to offset this (I would raise it 2.5-3x personally, to compensate - yeah, that's a big boost, but it hits both the initiative and to-hit pretty hard, especially for a high-end weapon) and/or get some statuses. Maybe a lot of low chance status effects (hence *many* runes)?

And of course all three of these weapons need to be set chest items or drops.
Is there any way in Wiz8 to do:

1) A guaranteed drop/chest, but randomized location (out of several)?

2) Guaranteed one item from list, set location?

3) Guaranteed one item from list, but only once and at randomized location?

Several set Über items out of the same category seem cheap to me.

This leaves a void with mid and high end one handed primary only axes so we will have to create those from scratch. I'm thinking enchanted versions of already existing axes and two or three completely new ones. Any ideas?
I'd look around low-level axes - there seem to be quite a few fairly redundant ones - maybe they would be nice tweaking material?

Bearded axe should get some (slight) boost. It has shitty stats compared to even daggers you can get at this point. IIRC such axes were good against shields IRL - does Wizardry have anything that could emulate this?[/quote][/quote]

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
I don't think any of those loot scenarios are possible using the Cosmic Forge editor, DraQ. You should download it and play around with it, though. As far as I can tell you can only fix the placement/drop of items or give a chance of it, but nothing else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom