Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Post-decline gems

Ash

Arcane
You're bullshiting your way into making Resident Evil the only game in existence that can be considered Survival Horror

Indeed, there are few games I consider survival horror at all. And even less I consider worthy survival horror.

When you don't have standards and definitions, anything goes.

As for the rest of your post, you got a WTF reaction. The games do need strong horror emphasis too, that should go without saying. It's even in the title.

Machocruz

Arcane
You're bullshiting your way into making Resident Evil the only game in existence that can be considered Survival Horror

Indeed, there are few games I consider survival horror at all. And even less I consider worthy survival horror.

When you don't have standards and definitions, anything goes.

As for the rest of your post, you got a WTF reaction.
Hey I can accept that RE is the only survival horror game. Like literally the first RE, only, seeing as how Capcom came up with the words there and it's pretty much singular in how it executed the ideas in it. The following games in the series and the wannabes weren't as stringent, weren't as "pure".

Spike

Educated
PS1 has some of the very best platformers ever made:

Tomb Raider 1 & 2: Stone cold classics. Turned into popamole garbage on PS2 and beyond.
Spyro 1: This game is actually fucking great believe it or not. Everything Spyro after is shit, on both PS1 and PS2.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Yet another series that turned into shit on the PS Poo.

No low-grade shit here. :obviously:

I could post numerous other examples, but trying to keep the thread to certified gems only unlike you.

Furthermore, in general, all action games in the 90s had platforming. e.g FPS had platforming. Stealth games had platforming. In the 2000s, suddenly that element was stripped back considerably (especially FPS), in addition to other things like navigation (level design was more linear and handholdey on the whole).
The biggest factor that generally makes the PS2 inferior is undoubtedly level design across the board. There is no beating the 90s for that. Big open creative diverse multi-genre levels with no handholding. Also difficulty. A lot of franchises and new IPs started to get a bit too easy. Still not retard-tier like the generation after, but it was noticeable.
I actually love Spyro and consider it the greatest platforming series on the PSX and one of the greatest ever (the rest are Sly, Ratchet, and Jak, maybe 3D Mario). One of the first real video games I ever played, alongside Crash 1. I was 5. Monocled of you to recognize its greatness. 1, 2, and 3, not just 1. Though 1 and 2 are the best.

Also, I was asking about 3D platformers. Where are the PSX greats? There are only Spyro and Crash, and Spyro is only truly great. Muppet Monster Adventure is fun but it is not the kino that Spyro is. While the PS2 has several stellar platforming series: see above, Sly 1, 2, 3, Ratchet 1, 2, 3, and Jak 1, 2, 3...With phenomenal movement.

EDIT: Forgot to include the PS2 Prince of Persia games, not sure how I did as they are among my all-time faves. But them too! As for muh 2D: moving in 3D space is more exciting and enjoyable than in 2D for platformers but I'm sure I just triggered half the Codex with that statement.

Ash

Arcane
The games do need strong horror emphasis too
> Thief and Subnautica don't have a strong horror emphasis
Are you genuinely retarded?
Or perhaps you haven't even played these games?

You really struggle with definitions, silly little boy. Crapping your pants over fishies in Subnautica or crying to your mom about a few levels in Thief does not a true horror game make. Are you pretending to be thick? Have you ever played a true horror game? Probably not actually, considering the games you label as Survival Horror and the shit non-horrific REmakes you champion.

Spike

Educated
The games do need strong horror emphasis too
> Thief and Subnautica don't have a strong horror emphasis
Are you genuinely retarded?
Or perhaps you haven't even played these games?

You really struggle with definitions, silly little boy. Crapping your pants over fishies in Subnautica or crying to your mom about a few levels in Thief does not a true horror game make. Are you pretending to be thick?
You're being needlessly combative, I am getting "precocious teenager with a superiority complex" vibes. Or you're eastern European. Either way, what exactly are all of the PSX platforming greats that no one seems to know about or remember? Tomba 1 and 2 are great. Spyro is great. Ape Escape is great. Tomb Raider as well. But that's basically it for 3D platforming on PSX...Whereas PS2 has tons of great ones.

Machocruz

Arcane

EDIT: Forgot to include the PS2 Prince of Persia games, not sure how I did as they are among my all-time faves. But them too! As for muh 2D: moving in 3D space is more exciting and enjoyable than in 2D for platformers but I'm sure I just triggered half the Codex with that statement.
I get excited about games requiring competence. I don't enjoy movement around wide flat land and occasionally jumping onto platforms that are a little less wide that you have to work to miss- typical of this degraded form of the genre. R&C is a fun kiddie shooter, but the actual platforming is inconsequential compared to even middling platformers on Sega Genesis. I think Chuck Rock was more demanding than Sly Coper. The games that follow the Mario 64 way generally suffer compared to the alternatives like PoP, TR, ME.

Last edited:

quaesta

Educated
90s will always win. If you don't actually play the games you'll never understand. There were some very good games on PS2 yes, but the full catalogue doesn't match up to the PS1's greatness.
I agree. In many ways the PS2 generation (despite being a personal soft spot for me) has started the decline of gaming. Now there was still great games in the era, but trends that ruined gaming like shift to realism, larger audiences, easier games and even the focus on cutscenes started here. As such, in terms of overall game quality, 6th gen < 5th gen.

The biggest issue with PS2 was that this was when focus was starting to shift from abstract gameplay of the 90s, instead to excessive graphics and realism. But it was a transitionary period and gameplay was still somewhat surviving in the conscience of developers, unlike the generation that came after.
This is exactly what I mean, couldn't put it in better words myself.

Doctor Gong

Literate
Okay, here is my list, sure to trigger some. Some Gems might not be included since I have not played them.

The ones that mostly won't trigger people.

The Age of Decadence
Alien Isolation
Avernum: Escape from the Pit
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Cultist Simulator
Darkest Dungeons
Grimoire
Kerbal Space Program
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Minecraft
Neo Scavenger
Nethergate: Resurrection
Out of the Park Baseball
Rule the Waves 3
Underrail
Xcom: Enemy Unknown

The ones that will Trigger people.

Fallout: NV (With Nevada Mods)
Mass Effect 1 + 2 (It not those games fault that they started an entire genre filled with crappy games that didn't understand what made the first two Mass Effects great.)

Ash

Arcane
I actually love Spyro and consider it the greatest platforming series on the PSX and one of the greatest ever (the rest are Sly, Ratchet, and Jak, maybe 3D Mario). One of the first real video games I ever played, alongside Crash 1. I was 5. Monocled of you to recognize its greatness. 1, 2, and 3, not just 1. Though 1 and 2 are the best.

Also, I was asking about 3D platformers. Where are the PSX greats? There are only Spyro and Crash, and Spyro is only truly great. Muppet Monster Adventure is fun but it is not the kino that Spyro is. While the PS2 has several stellar platforming series: see above, Sly 1, 2, 3, Ratchet 1, 2, 3, and Jak 1, 2, 3...With phenomenal movement.

Nope, just the first game. Spyro 2 and 3 lose all the charm and uniqueness of the first (particularly the setting), introduce a bunch of annoying characters yammering in your ear, as well as too many silly mini-games instead of focusing on excellent grand scale level design like the first. I'm not saying they're bad, they're just not to the same high standard.

PoP has pretty great platforming but the combat is sadly shit and drags it down. And in typical PS2 standard, it's quite linear and not notably challenging.

Anyways, I cited four games. Absolute classics. There are no platformers 2D or 3D on the PS2 that are on their level of incline. Plenty decent ones, nothing monocled. Pretty standard for the PS2; lots of good games but almost nothing truly great. There's numerous others that I think are cool and better than most shit on PS2, such as the Duke Nukem Tomb Raider clones (TTK/LOTB), but I am just sticking to the truly best stuff to highlight the discrepancy in quality.

Checkmate, moving on to the next genre in which PS1 absolutely dominates with 90s quality.

The games that follow the Mario 64 way generally suffer compared to the alternatives like PoP, TR, ME.

ME? No platformer is coming to mind with that abbreviation.

Mass Effect 1 + 2 (It not those games fault that they started an entire genre filled with crappy games that didn't understand what made the first two Mass Effects great.)

Mass Effect is shit. What's great about it, non-existent level design that's just linear corridors with waist-high cover for mole-popping? Pointless empty moon buggy sections? Garbage-tier RPG systems? Pathetic virtual relationships for virgins? Only pseudo-intellectual storyfaggots think this trash is good. It has fuck all to offer, and it's sad you place it in the same category as the great New Vegas.

Well honestly, I spent almost all of 2007 - 2009 smoking in a car park with my girlfriend and her sister, and barely remember anything else, other than endless pissing about on garry's mod, being a watermelon and racing down a ramp or whatever. Also developed an energy drink addiction which caused me to experience time dilation which allowed me to skip almost all of 2008.

Just as well considering what a shit year it was for games.

Ah, that's where you get the name "Lemming" from. :lol:

Last edited:

Spike

Educated

Nope, just the first game. Spyro 2 and 3 lose all the charm and uniqueness of the first (particularly the setting), introduce a bunch of annoying characters yammering in your ear, as well as too many silly mini-games instead of focusing on excellent grand scale level design like the first. I'm not saying they're bad, they're just not to the same high standard.

PoP has pretty great platforming but the combat is sadly shit and drags it down. And in typical PS2 standard, it's quite linear.

Anyways, I cited four games. Absolute classics. There are no platformers 2D or 3D on the PS2 that are on their level of incline. Plenty decent ones, nothing monocled. Pretty standard for the PS2; lots of good games but almost nothing truly great. There's numerous others that I think are cool and better than most shit on PS2, such as the Duke Nukem Tomb Raider clones (TTK/LOTB), but I am just sticking to the truly best stuff to highlight the discrepancy in quality.

Checkmate, moving on to the next genre in which PS1 absolutely dominates with 90s quality.

The games that follow the Mario 64 way generally suffer compared to the alternatives like PoP, TR, ME.

ME? No platformer is coming to mind with that abbreviation.

Mass Effect is shit. What's great about it, non-existent level design that's just linear corridors with waist-high cover for mole-popping? Pointless empty moon buggy sections? Garbage-tier RPG systems? Pathetic virtual relationships for virgins? Only pseudo-intellectual storyfaggots think this trash is good. It has fuck all to offer, and it's sad you place it in the same category as the great New Vegas.

Well honestly, I spent almost all of 2007 - 2009 smoking in a car park with my girlfriend and her sister, and barely remember anything else, other than endless pissing about on garry's mod, being a watermelon and racing down a ramp or whatever. Also developed an energy drink addiction which caused me to experience time dilation which allowed me to skip almost all of 2008.

Just as well considering what a shit year it was for games.

Ah, that's where you get the name "Lemming" from. :lol:
It is cringe and reddit to "Checkmate" yourself, tip that fedora more please, thank you. Especially before I have a chance to respond...Lol. Spyro 2 and 3 have better mechanics than 1. I play games for stellar gameplay mechanics. I don't know about you. Yes, the setting and atmosphere shape the experience as well, but 2 and 3 have that just as well as the first. They have different strengths/unique things about them. The minigame stuff is bad in 3 but the core levels in 3 are still as good as anything in 1. There are just less of them. Also lol, nice going naming literally like 5 games. Between Jak, Sly, Ratchet, and PoP, that is like 12 games between them. All truly great, and yes, your autistic inane definition as well.

I get excited about games requiring competence. I don't enjoy movement around wide flat land and occasionally jumping onto platforms that are a little less wide that you have to work to miss- typical of this degraded form of the genre. R&C is a fun kiddie shooter, but the actual platforming is inconsequential compared to even middling platformers on Sega Genesis. I think Chuck Rock was more demanding than Sly Coper. The games that follow the Mario 64 way generally suffer compared to the alternatives like PoP, TR, ME.
Then, simply, the "playground"-y kind of feeling and thrill of just jumping/movement of the controls of the character do not do it for you. That is fine. But it's retarded to think just because those other games require more competence means they are better overall experiences or superior platformers. No. In theory, a 3D game requiring the same kind of tight platforming as the best of the 2D genre would be superior because it is more fun to move around in 3D space than 2D for these kinds of games. If you want challenging platforming in 3D, play Maximo: Ghosts to Glory. Ash is too pleb to understand it, maybe you will fare better. Also early Tomb Raider has complete ass controls. Genres grow and expand. They're still classics, but that is a huge component. There are also fun mod levels for A Hat in Time that are more akin to the kind of challenge you are seeking.

Ash

Arcane
WTF lol. Not sure what is reddit here or not, but you must read reddit to know reddit trends. You bumbling fool.

Anyways, low standards. You revealed that with your megashitpost of PS Poo stinkers. Not much else to discuss until you actually intelligently analyze the shit you play and develop some standards, because it seems like you think everything and anything is awesome.

Also playing games primarily for gameplay mechanics before anything? Time to level up. Systems are equally important. Level design is equally important. And so forth; gameplay on the whole.
You were lying anyway. You listed Silent Hill 2 for example which is a shit storyfaggot game with nothing interesting to offer in the gameplay department that wasn't already done by the first and FAR better. As a true gameplayfag, fuck that game.

Last edited:

Spike

Educated
WTF lol. Not sure what is reddit here or not, but you must read reddit to know reddit trends. You bumbling fool.

Anyways, low standards. You revealed that with your megashitpost of PS Poo stinkers. Not much else to discuss until you actually intelligently analyze the shit you play and develop some standards, because it seems like you think everything and anything is awesome.

Also playing games primarily for gameplay mechanics before anything? Time to level up. Systems are equally important. Level design is equally important. And so forth; gameplay on the whole.
You were lying anyway. You listed Silent Hill 2 for example which is a shit storyfaggot game with nothing interesting to offer in the gameplay department that wasn't already done by the first and FAR better. As a true gameplayfag, fuck that game.
Level Design, systems etc you mentioned are equally up to muster in 2 and 3 as in 1. The thing that 1 has over 2 and 3 is the atmosphere. You engage in a very low level of ad hominem. Smacks of internet arguers from 2010. And I was talking about Spyro specifically for gameplay. Atmosphere and other things matter far more in Silent Hill. You filled that gap in for yourself, although I supposed I could have been clearer. Are you from Eastern Europe? Just wondering, no reason.

Iucounu

Educated
Every horror game (and most games in general) revolve around survival, but the survival horror places unique emphasis in it. Just like the somewhat newly popular "survival" (singular) genre where there is no horror, but the whole thing is entirely focused around survival. Games such as ARK: Survival Evolved.
If you abstain from taming dinosaurs as protection, ARK turns from farce into a pretty neat horror experience with death at every footstep. I played over 500 hours in a single game, but only explored about 10% of the playing area (and almost nothing of its caves or ocean depths).

Unfortunately food is abundant, so your only incentives to move around is curiosity, finding resources to craft better gear, and fleeing from dinosaurs migrating into your previously safe home turf.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
but the combat is sadly shit and drags it down.
You wouldn't know what good combat is even if it hit you the face

it's quite linear
And how is that a bad thing given that SoT was structured to emulate a "1001 nights" tale?
That linearity allowed the devs: better control of pacing (which is quite enjoyable) ; design more fantastic looking locations for the castle (as they don't need to worry about interconnection and navigation) ; implement a stronger narrative backbone (which is core of that made SoT unique)
How would non-linear level progression improve the experience?

Ash

Arcane
You wouldn't know what good combat is even if it hit you the face.

Lol. So why don't you detail just how worthless Sekiro combat is for those of us that don't understand. Actually don't. Spare us the retardation.

And how is that a bad thing given that SoT was structured to emulate a "1001 nights" tale?
And yet it has tons of trash barebones repetitive easy combat :roll: Also this is called going full storyfag. Never go full storyfag.

That linearity allowed the devs: better control of pacing (which is quite enjoyable) ;
Oh pacing is a concern to the point we can't even add a little non-linearity and level design complexity, nope, it's gotta be 100% linear. Resident Evil 4 has ten times more level design complexity that PoP, and that's pretty much my baseline level of acceptable linearity. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be vast highly complex non-linear levels, as that does have pacing implications. A small amount however goes a long way with no real damage to pace. No truly great game is 100% linear. Even 2D side-scrolling kiddie games like Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Super Mario Bros 3 are vastly more complex.

design more fantastic looking locations for the castle (as they don't need to worry about interconnection and navigation) ;
So they're retarded and can't make pretty locations if they have to worry about non-linearity? How in the world did castle builders of the old world produce such beautiful architecture, humans are incapable of thinking in more than a straight line! Oh wait no that's just zoomers. Dumber than people in the 12th century most of whom couldn't even read and were focused on their survival/daily needs more than anything.

Also for the record, by this point level design had already split into separate disciplines, namely level designers and environment artists. The level designers create the baseline architecture and gameplay. The environment artists then beautify it after the fact. So they should have an easier job of it, but the fact is it's just the start of the mass dumbing down great decline like most in that era.

implement a stronger narrative backbone (which is core of that made SoT unique)
90s games destroy 2000s in the story department too btw, and they did so without retard-tier gameplay.

Low standards zoomer comprehension on full display. I think this will be the last post from me you get.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
What did you get? All based on my based recommendations I hope :obviously:

Falksi

Arcane
What did you get? All based on my based recommendations I hope :obviously:
kDuM0AT.png

...added a few others to the Wishlist too, just trying to catch up on the backlog first lol.

Ash

Arcane
I've always avoided Bloody Spell because Chinese spyware. Government & tech of any kind are very much in bed together over there. More than anything make sure your kids don't have TikTok.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
So why don't you detail just how worthless Sekiro combat is for those of us that don't understand.
I'll make a thread about what makes good melee combat someday
But on a nutshell, Sekiro's combat is just a flashy game of "Simon says" - a rythm game if you will

And yet it has tons of trash barebones repetitive easy combat :roll:
The combat is serviceable and the game never gets bogged down in it
Also combat in no way breaks the "1001 nights" motif, those stories had moments of action

Oh pacing is a concern to the point we can't even add a little non-linearity and level design complexity, nope, it's gotta be 100% linear.
The pacing is big reason why the game is so enjoyable
Non-linear segments would potentially ruin pacing and also cost the team resources they might've needed elsewhere
And given the game final quality, it's proof in end it didn't need those

Resident Evil 4
Is a completely different gaming experience, with distinct mechanics, focus, art and development needs
Don't mix apples with oranges

A small amount however goes a long way with no real damage to pace.
Alright master game dev
Give me a non-linear scenario to SoT that would so significantly improve the experience

So they're retarded and can't make pretty locations if they have to worry about non-linearity?
No, it's just that creating a computer architectural model of a fantasy maharaja's palace wasn't the goal of the devs
But rather use that concept and to, under a tight deadline and budget, create a cool sequence of levels that could accommodate X gameplay mechanics and Y story script
And the most effective way to achieve those goals was linear sequence of levels

90s games destroy 2000s in the story department too btw, and they did so without retard-tier gameplay.
Ok then
Please tell about the 90's gem set in persia that goes for "1001 nights" motif and has better story and atmosphere than PoP:SoT

I think this will be the last post from me you get.
Running out of bullshit, huh? :-D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom